Hair dilemma-can anyone help?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MINKUS

Gel Junkie
Reaction score
Hi all

I recently had my hair highlighted.....i am very dark brown....the hightlights are terrible and have gone all brassy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes a professional did it!

What can i put on this to 'tone' it down.

I have had this prob before years ago....put a semi permanent colour over the top and it went BLACK !!!
icon_evil.gif
not the desired effect!!

Tried a wash in wash out didnt touch it.

Anyone got any top tips?? I just want a nice 'warm' brown all over to cover it up!

Thanks

Ambxxxxxxxxx
icon_rolleyes.gif

Hey

2 years ago i had my hair highlighted but i had dyed hair already and the new colour was really bright on the roots, she said she put gold hair dye on it to tone it down and it worked really well, i don't know how easy it will be to get hold of this though.

HTH

Lxx

I would go back to the salon and ask them to put it right! I wouldn't attempt to try to rectify myself. It is the salon's responsibility .... no one goes into a salon for brassy highlights!!

I know Aveda do these colour shampoos and I think its called Blue Mavala or something that kill's the brassier blonde highlights - apparently excellent for this.

geeg said:
I would go back to the salon and ask them to put it right! I wouldn't attempt to try to rectify myself. It is the salon's responsibility .... no one goes into a salon for brassy highlights!!

Hi Minkus,

I totally agree with Geeg, when the hairdresser messed up on my colour and my cut I complained to the manager about this and they asked me to come in and they will fix it for me free of charge.

I still go to them because they handled it very well and took full responsibility, I am given 5 start treatment every time I walk through that door now!! I suggest you don't attempt to fix it yourself beacasue they could easliy turn around and say that you messed it up with a home kit.

Hope this helps hun :hug:

Luv

Rose
xx

Definately go back to the salon. I have had to do this before when dye didnt take to my hair and the hairdresser put it right no problem.

I agree - give them the opportunity to sort it out for you. I'd want the same if we did something that a client wasn't happy with ... the chance to rectify it and keep our good name in tact.

I'd go back to them too, explain what happened and let the rectify it. What ever next!

Actually i am kind of hoping its not in anyway caused by my own fault.

I have been using the Paul Mitchell Tea Tree shampoo & Conditioner and my hair and the colour seem to have deteriorated ever since!!!!!

Eeeek - wouldnt have thought so though would any of u geeks?
icon_redface.gif

I've had this happen to me.

I had blond, red, copper and light brown highlights through mine before. The first time everything was fine the next time it all went fine and then I washed my hair a couple of times and the colours turned strange, orange and pink :o !

I went back and they sorted it out for me by using a brown dye to turn it back to my natural colour and it was the dye that hadn't taken to my hair not the shampoo!

Hi,

Hopefully i can offer some help becuse im a hairdresser too. Do you know wether the hairdresser used Bleach or colour for the highlights? Did she show you a shade chart with colours on it? or was the creme a brilliant white or light blue shade? was the highlights foiled or done through a cap?
Need bit more info

geeg said:

Ditto - if they think their reputation is on the line, they'll fix it PDQ !

she mixed a colour (orangey !! i wanted CARAMEL !! wella i think....with something else????peroxide???could be wrong)

did the top section of my hair from fringe to the back with foils.

Thanks

ok the orangey colour in the bowl is always brighter than it comes out on hair.When did you have your hair done? was the colour right when you left the shop?

colour was ok when i left the shop. A bit lighter than i would normally go but she did do the 'slices' thicker than normal.

Unless its just me it seems to have gone very brassy with time, had it done about 3/4 weeks ago.

And starting to HATE it.

Want to be boring brown again !!!

3-4 weeks its too long really to go back and she could argue that it is something you've done. It could well be that the tea tree shampoo etc.. is too strong ,really you should be using a shampoo and conditioner formulated for coloured hair to avoid the colour being washed out or going to brassy. However it may also be that she used to stronger peroxide than was needed therefore lightening more than needed and not adding enough tone. To tone it down and get the brassiness out you need to use an ASH tone, but really only on the highlighted areas, this has a purple tone which calms down brassiness, rather like the SHEER BLONDE shampoos etc.. these will have a certain amont of ash in them.
To go back to brown if this is what you want to do, you need to be picking a colour that has a slight red or warm tone to it to avoid gettin the greenies :green: and your highlights going a nice shade of khaki.

Hope this helps

The same thing happened to me recently. My friend who owns a very old fashioned salon (but they seem to know all the tricks) did a peroxide shampoo on me. Basically, she mixed shampoo and peroxide and applied it to wet hair. Left it for about 5-10 mins then rinsed and conditioned as normal. It just lifted that too dark look.

Other than that...............have you tried wearing a swimming hat LOL.
Good luck sweetie. x

Latest posts

Back