hair disaster... advice?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cait

CND EA. Essie Spokesperson
Reaction score
Hi well

I finally took the plunge from brunette to blonde on my birthday last week - only problem is I absolutely hate it .......
I asked for strawberry blonde.. and to be fair I got just that
Only problem is the cut is horiific and my hair is really dry and brittle - I was one of those lucky people whos hair was so long, very thick, shiny and healthy that it fell beautifully, now that its gone my hair its frizzy and totally ''bouffy'' ....Eeek!
so Im going back into the hairdressers on sat to get it made darker again - but what on earth can I do about the moisture ... needless to say I have 2 wedding in early august and a three week stint in Australia in Sept so I need my moisture back -

Has my hairdresser ''burned'' my hair (feels a little like this) - will I need to chop it off, opr can it be saved?

thanks

Caitriona

Hi there

I'm not a hairdresser but the same thing happened to me a while back. I used Kerastase Masquintense as a daily conditioner (instead of a weekly treat) and also Kerastase Forcintense (pack of 5x15ml treatments) once a week for 5 weeks. My hair soon got back to condition and felt even better than it had before the colour mishap!!

Hope this helps

Caty xx

Hi Thanks for that Caty,
very nice of you

I actually have heard that Keratase is a brilliant product - and I was going to get some of it as a booster, but should the hairdresser not have to rectify the situation ? I mean could I not ask her to do a deep moisture mask for free (if that even exists I dunno) Keratase is well expensive over here too... (Austria) I feel my hair is ruined in a sense I mean it just kind of sits up on my head all dry and I feel the need to wash it & condition it every day now (like you suggested) whereas before I could go 3 - 4 days without washing it (not skanky me I swear but... honestly it didnt need it)
I would like to know how i should approach the hairdresser on Saturday (Im not a narky cow and always am intimidated and uncomfortable complaining to someone about to do a service on me)

Cait

I feel my hair is ruined in a sense I mean it just kind of sits up on my head all dry and I feel the need to wash it & condition it every day now (like you suggested) whereas before I could go 3 - 4 days without washing it (not skanky me I swear but... honestly it didnt need it)
I would like to know how i should approach the hairdresser on Saturday (Im not a narky cow and always am intimidated and uncomfortable complaining to someone about to do a service on me)

Cait
Be honest and non confrontational, explain that yes, while this is the color you asked for that you don't like it and explain how your hair feels to you. Most stylists will bend over backward to make a client happy, especially when they have made a drastic change. You will probably end up paying for at least the product if not the entire service, since the initial color was delivered.

Carefully express your concerns about the condition of the hair and ask questions about any options given to you. Think them all over carefully and discuss the pros and cons before you choose to do something that involves another chemical treatment.

Once you have chemically altered the structure of the hair, it cannot be rebuilt. You can use proteins and moisturizers that help reinforce the remaining structure and give a cosmetic finish to the hair fiber, but as of yet it cannot be repaired. Give science and technology a few more years, I'm sure they'll be able to, chemistry has come along way just in the last few years.

I'm not sure which products are available to you for at home reconstructive treatments, but the stylist who lightened your hair should be able to recommend some for you that will support what has already been done.

Alternatives may include, low lighting or highlighting, toning or deepening with a deposit only color. Your at home care will need to support your choice based on your stylist opinion. If like your color but feel like it is too dry, you may be able to do at home conditioning treatments with products from the salon.

Lightening hair causes the cuticle to swell, the lighter the product the more alkali was used to activate the peroxide causing more destruction of the cortex. Typically it is difficult to go from brunette to blond and have shiny, glistening hair, it takes a commitment to using quality products and caring for the hair like the expensive adornment it became when it was lightened. (I'll admit freely I'm addicted to bleach- my grey's blend better so I don't have to retouch quite as often) Blonde requires the use of "expensive" at home care products. You wouldn't treat a silk blouse the same way you do jean trousers- If you want quality color and hair, it is high maintenance- retouches and good support product- but in the end it's worth it if you love the color you have! Just think, if your clients didn't follow your after care recommendations and purchase the maintenance products you suggested, you might not be so willing to work through problems with them :)

Hiya

is the picture at the bottom of your messages, a picture of you?
Dont mean to be nosey but i was just reading through your situation as I have had many a hair disaster in the past! and I have to say that if its you then you are a gorgeous looking lady so please dont be worried about your hair. it will be sorted out, i promise and ok at the mo you feel that your hair is not 100% but your lovely face is!!
Keep your chin up :wink2:

Thanks Jenni Giles - thanks for taking the time to explain all of that - Yes Ill go in and explain the condition of the hair - I now have resorted to leaving my conditioner in all day and tying my hair in a plait - I'm actually afraid itll all start to break off in clumps!! But I take on board the need to look after my hair with more quality products for the now. Still not delighted at the prospect of the summer weddings with bouffy hair as it had taken a Long time for it to get so long and healthy... anyways .. its hair.. it'll be alright in the end Im sure ; )

thanks again
+Cait x

Jeeps thats just so sweet of you Gemmamarie- thanks...ya made me blush.. (!)
I think Ill try and get a before and after picture just to compare the damage.. hah hah

but yeah its only a little disappointing but nothing like a G&T to forget it!

Although I do keep saying hello to myself in the mirror as i dont recognize my self

ta

Cait x

I now have resorted to leaving my conditioner in all day and tying my hair in a plait - I'm actually afraid itll all start to break off in clumps!!

thanks again
+Cait x

Hi Cait, (Love the way you spell your name.) And I will agree with gemmamarie~
You are beautiful. Love your pic.
Anyhoo~
You need to know what kind of conditioner you are applying to your hair. There are basically 3 kinds.
First one and the most common one is a "detangler" this conditioner says to leave it in for 1 minute. It will not repair your hair. It coats your hair and makes it tangle free and silky.
Conditioner 2 is a Moisturizer, this will say to leave it in for 3 or more minutes. It delivers moisture to the hair cuticle and you follow it up with conditioner 1 which seals it in.
Conditioner 3 is a protein conditioner, This conditioner puts protein back into the hair which add strength and helps bond (repair) the cuticle back. This conditioner also will cause damage if not use properly as if it is over used will cause dryness to the hair.

So..to not be wasting your money by putting something in your hair that is not working as you hope it will..which one are you using?

Oh the love! the love! psst.. Im calling for more love like that on the nail geek site... you guys (!) I'm a convert... hee hee:Love:

I'm a No 1 most definitely .. Im shamefully, shamefully low maitenance..... is 'pantene' a bad word on this site ..?:wink2:

OK so what now lovely JD.. out I pop to buy another conditioner, no 2. or three or both?
Jeni Giles''You can use proteins and moisturizers that help reinforce the remaining structure and give a cosmetic finish to the hair fiber, but as of yet it cannot be repaired.''

I'm seeing my hairdresser tomorrow at 11am ... if I buy from her I should ask for... 2 or 3?

thanks again!

Cait xx

PS its short for Cáitríona... which is ridiculous really and everyone over here calls me Kaw - tree- owna.. which is .... errr well .. different I suppose..... ;)

Hi Cait,

You need home care products to suit dry damaged /coloured hair.

You will require @ the basic minimum:
Shampoo - Conditioner - Leave in conditioner.
Nexus - Sebastian or Keune have been fantastic ranges for my fuzzy mop :)

If you are styling your hair @ home ie:
Hair straighteners/ hot tongs/rollers or blow drying you will need to apply a barrier between heat & hair before you style -
After you've applied leave in cond/moisturizer.
I use CPR from Vita 5 [re-edited from Loreal] as a barrier/tamer of fly away fuzzies.

Add to this weekly:
Intense moisture pack/masque.

Depending on the range you use shampoo condition etc only every 2nd or 3rd day.

HtH

XX J XX

Cait..Patene is a real swear word in the hair business.. Research it on this hair forum and you will can read what it really does to your hair. No wonder your hair is in dry conditions.
Protein conditioners are to be use very sparingly. maybe once a week, moisturizers can be used everytime you shampoo, just make sure you apply to to towel damp dry hair and not your scalp and then follow up with some type of leave in or detangler.

Oh the love! the love! psst.. Im calling for more love like that on the nail geek site... you guys (!) I'm a convert... hee hee:Love:

I'm a No 1 most definitely .. Im shamefully, shamefully low maitenance..... is 'pantene' a bad word on this site ..?:wink2:

I'm seeing my hairdresser tomorrow at 11am ... if I buy from her I should ask for... 2 or 3?

thanks again!

Cait xx

;)

I cannot believe you would use such horrible language...I can't even bring myself to type the "p" word!!:wink2:

Pantene as a shampoo is fine-IF you don't mind that it is filled with wax and preservatives. Pantene will last into the the next millennium on the shelf and remain the same- Nasty nasty stuff. It does do what it is designed to do, clean the hair. It also lives up to the filling in the damaged areas claim, it uses a lovely form of methylparaben, a highly effective preservative and stabilizer as well as 2 other types of wax that are carnuba based, that's the same wax I use on my ski's, my car and if I surfed, my surfboard. I'll leave my naughty "p" lecture at that.

As for the type of conditioner, you will probably want to alternate between 2 and 3. You are used to feeling the slick wax build up which you no longer have. The protein will help reinforce, but like JD's pointed out too much does make the hair brittle. Moisture alone won't work either it will just make the hair feel heavy and gummy.

Leaving conditioner on all day won't really do anything either, for some reason it makes us feel better, but in truth the hair can only absorb the conditioner for about 10-15 minutes after that it is doing nothing, except maybe smelling nice.

In addition to your conditioning treatments, you may want to invest in some finishing products. I know that L'oreal is a huge company with several off shoots, if you can find a series expire salon in your area, or even a series expire retailer, the absoulte repair masque or the multicontrast masque would be ideal for you. Both of those are formulated for heavily damaged hair, they also have a daily line and finishing products. Your stylist I'm sure will have something or be able to reccommend something for you, she has an advantage, she can feel your hair and test the tensile strength which sadly from 1/2 across the globe, JD's or I cannont.

For finishing, if you are blowdrying you will want a smoothing serum or cream, these will help close down the cuticle and reflect light so the hair doesn't appear dry and "boufy", stay away from mousse, it is used for volume, if your hair is boufy you don't need more volume. If you need hold but don't want to be as stiff as a gel mix some smoothing serum or cream in with the gel.

My fav styling "cocktail" is a small ball of mousse (hot style volume foam L'oreal) or gel (I like enforce glaze by Scruples) 2 squirts smoothing cream (spiral down curl memory cream also loreal) and 3 or 4 drops shine (Liss Extreme again, loreal) mix well in hands and smooth from root to tip, I have thin, fine naturally curly HEAVILY highlighted hair, for you I'd probably leave out the mousse and stick with gel.

If you do blow dry, make sure to direct the air from root to tip, this helps smooth the cuticle and keep your dryer on medium heat or skip the blow dry all together, just towel dry. Don't ruffle or rub the hair with the towel, your hair is most delicate when wet, just wrap it turban style and squeeze, remember delicate silk blouse. Be sure that before styling with thermal tools the hair is completely dry. I like rollers myself, it's the only way I can get those loose flowing waves that are in right now without looking bald or fuzzy.

Avoid flat ironing on high heat, use a lower heat and make sure to use a heat protectant or shine drops, every line has them, use sparingly before flat ironing or curling for a more intense shine, the heat will spread the simethecone further and reflect back to the eye better.

Good luck at the salon tomorrow- let us know how it goes!!

:eek: Didnt see the "P" word...Definately not recommended.

XX J XX

Might I add about the "P" word...it takes approx 8 shampoos to get rid of the wax buildup.. So don't even start the conditioning treatments until you get rid of that gunk. :)

Take Baking soda (1 T.) and Warm Water( 1 cup )and wet hair down, pour this over your hair, and gently rub it thru from roots to ends rinse and then shampoo but not with that "P" stuff. Use a good shampoo then do the conditioning.

Also, you might want to try using a moisturizer and protein mix the first time on DAMP hair please. Any excess water left in the hair will block the conditioners from penetrating and you will end up rinsing it right down the drain. So It is important to towel blot your hair before applying conditioners that are left on longer than 1 minute.

Crikey ladies... I was only kidding about the Pantene thing... I never never knew that it really was so nasty... I shall spread the word to all my other blaspheming friends. Jenni Giles I have been howling with laughter re: the surfboard, ski wax metaphores...!v. funny

So I went back - calm as a cucumber - used Jenni's advice - explained that while the colour was what I originally asked for I had given it a week and was not convinced and took JDs advice and requested some lowlights. I got approximately 14-16 lowlights (please bear in mind that I have a lot of hair here guys... ) so it didnt seem that much but once again Im not the xpert but I also suggested that perhaps I could have some lowlights through the fringe area (Im not liking the heavy fringe I was given but that is by the by and it will grow out quickly enough) in order to frame the face a little more

The result was subtle to say the least but the lowlights did add some depth to the colour - so my barnet looked less like a wig and more like possibly , just possibly, if you squinched your eyes.. it could have been my own :lol:

I repeatedly asked for advice on the conditioning of my hair (OK Ill admit I was testing her a little and threw in the odd remark about 'Protein conditioners' and soforth.. didnt get much advice by was simply handed one bottle of Sebastian Shampoo and one bottle of Sebastian masque reconstructive shine treatment and was told to use it twice a week. I paid 40€ for the products and I did not have to pay for my lowlights (she put it down as reclamation or something, which was nice)

So I take it I am just half ways there...........

''Take Baking soda (1 T.) and Warm Water( 1 cup )and wet hair down, pour this over your hair, and gently rub it thru from roots to ends rinse and then shampoo but not with that "P" stuff. Use a good shampoo then do the conditioning.'' --thanks! good tip to get out the ''P'' stuff Ill try this before the next shampoo and conditioning session

I need a leave in conditioner, a barrier cream for my straighteners that have just received a dusting as they are needed to get the bouffiness down and a styling serum. I have my pen and paper and shall get myself off to the shops to buy a few finishing products it seems that my days of low maintenance are over :irked:

R-E-S-P-E-C-T to all of you who have given their two cents.. its been eyeopening and informative to say the least. Thanks so much ! Lets hope my locks are back to their former glory in no time!!

Cait xx:hug:

Hi Cait

Add to your Sebastian S&C - Potion 9...... Brilliant stuff.
& Crema Styler in the Sebastian Laminates range.

Use only small amounts to damp or dry hair.. a little goes a looooong way.
Shamp,condition your hair - towel dry - apply Potion 9, work through from midlength to end's. Wash/dry your hands.
Apply Crema Styler evenly through hair.
Style as normal/desired.

Potion 9 - An intense leave in treatment that works over 3 days & in conjunction with Shamp&Condit.
Crema Styler - Anti Frizz control - Intense shine - Help protect hair during heat styling.

Recommended use - Every 3 days.

HtH

XX J XX

Guys
I just had to tell you what I have done with my left over (and relatively new) bottles of the P stuff!

Jenni Giles comments cracked me up but it also got me thinking... whats a girl gonna do with all that stuff now. Well - skis , snowboards, wax to glide smoothly over surface = got me on to razor blades and all those little nicks I get shaving (now before I get screamed at for shaving I have previously posted that I am shamefully low maintenance-ok)
So I thought put the conditioner on, shave away with my cheap razors, and regrowth should be well smooth due to waxy deposit staying on so long and you know what - best shave Ive had in years! lol!
Not a nick! Not a scratch! Legs smell lovely and are kind of shiny too!

Hurrah!:green: Now thats waste not want not isnt it ... he he

Cait xx:hug:

LOL good for you! But remember to exfoliate or you will have waxy legs..:wink2:

try the Galvanic Spa and the Nutriol products. It helps fantastically!

greetz, Marc

Hi Im from the philippines, and i think i was in the same situation you are in now two months ago. Well since salon treatments are quite expensive, i asked the salon to reverse what they did to my hair but unfortunately all they can do is offer me a one time hair treatment, but one time treatment wont definitely work miracles, so i tried the old fashion treatment, try soaking your hair on mayonnaise for 30 mins, cover it with a shower cap, and then rinse it with a good reliable shampoo and follow it up with a conditioner. do this once a week and 100% your hair will get the nourishment and moisture it needs. Do try it! it worked for me, but just make sure that you rinse it well to get rid of the mayonnaise smell.
:)

Latest posts

Back