Hair Disaster!! Can anything be done?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WaxGirl

Reaction score
Hi would really appreciate your advice or help, Im Beautician definitely not a hair geek or never would have got meself into this situation, is there anything I can do?

I went to hairdressers today with long home dyed dark brown hair (4 months ago was blonde blonde hairdresser dyed).

I wanted it really blonde so they put in full head of mesh 2 colours of blonde and explained would be quite golden, I understood this and that would prob be bit orangey and yes it was very orangey. The hairdresser recommended 'silver shampoo'.

I went to salon services and they recommended a silver shampoo and a silver dye and advised me how to use it, they said it would take the orange out.

I did that and now have nearly black hair with faded grey bits, it looks so bad, and thats after trying to wash it out about 8 times. Im pretty gutted as wanted to be much lighter and this looks awful.

Where did I go wrong and is there anything I can do to turn it around?

got wee glass of wine here to help me over the drama :Scared:

any help appreciated

what was the silver dye? ash tones can cast a darkness over the hair i feel. if you could tell us what it was you used though?

and dont blooming be colouring your own hair! i know u went to salon first time but dont do the silver hair dye thing again. ok lecture over.

im sure it was minky or persianista (both who know their stuff) on here said use a bit of bicarb of soda in with your shampoo to clean out your hair as such. might help. otherwise to wash it up you could use something minging like (dare i say it) head and shoulders although i would rather recommend fairy liquid and make sure you use a good qulaity conditioner as you hair has already been thru the mill!!!!

I know you so so right, tears wellin up, this is gonna sound so silly but i thought it was like a treatment i know so silly, its called wella color fresh silver 5/19 semi permanent colour. sooo gutted was loving the lighter hair even if it was orange and now got this dull mess, so bicarb of soda mixed with shampoo? im going to get up before work tomorrow and scrub the life out of it, cant face all the girls with this hair they were expecting blondie:Scared:

well there is good news and bad news

color fresh is a true semi permanent. therefore in theory it should wash out in 6-8 washes.

bad news is, a 5/19 means....5=base shade. a 5 is called light brown on the shade chart but think dannii minogue and that is the base shade she is around about. the 1 is ash which yes is what you needed and a 9 is....cendre i think (bad that i cant remeber)

So here it is. it should wash up. but i think this is a lesson that in my experience most of the girls who work in salon services did 3 weeks at ahair salon and think now they are lisa shepherd and patrick camerons love child. they really dont know enough about these pruducts to be telling u what to use.

keep washing you hair, dont use the silver shampoo cos i think ill be a looooooong time before u see orange again...try the bicarb trick, its worth a try. but it SHOULD wash up!!

oooo thank you for your advice, you made me laff to in me hour of need, im not a drama queen or anything lol, ill get up tomorrow early and start washing it, i know me dad uses that head and shoulders stuff so ill pop in home and get it and sure they have bicarb of soda.... me never doin anything to me hair again, i need it blonde for a do next week cant face this unhappy black/grey colour for even one day

worst case scenario you can go to a salon and they will be able to fix it. if you can into me i would just put neat bleach on it and it should lift it right out. but under no circumstances do this yourself.

use head and shoulders and mix in some bicarb. try not to puke while u are doing it, h+s makes me feel sick. evil shampoo!!! LOL

Let us know how you get on xx

oh god dont even suggest the word bleach to me already me mind was thinking about the domestos in the kitchen sink lol, have to remind meself just cause i a beauty professional doesnt mean im a hair professional! bit afraid to go to me hairdresser ... she will be disgusted withe me..... will start scrubbing and let you know how i get on, thanks kim really appreciate you taking the time to give me advice. night night

Hi

The toner which you have used is Wella Colour Fresh - Deep Ash Cendre (5/19). These toners last up to 10 shampoo's but if you use harsh products such as fairy liquid like Kimi advised it will fade alot quicker. I find that anti dandruff shampoo's help fade colour too as these shampoo's are more harsh on the hair. You hair will feel very dry so would need to deep condition.

Was it the L'oreal silver shampoo you used? How long did you leave the toner and shampoo on for? x

Hi, sorry to hear whats happened to you hair ,
there was a thread on here a while ago about mixing lemon juice with conditioner pulling out the darker tones , it has had many people saying it worked well ,

Submitted by Karina
If you have recently dyed your hair a shade that came out way too dark and you want a easy solution, here it is. Simply mix 3 parts lemon juice to one part conditioner (acids in lemon juice naturally lighten hair) and saturate hair with the mix.
Lightly towel dry and blow dry til almost completely dry, finish off with just rinsing hair with lemon juice and styling as usual. I promise your hair will be lighter (you'll even see the dye trickling out!) and soft and bouncy.

Here is another link too :) minky

Bleached Hair

Thanks so much for all your advice.

The shampoo was schwarzkopf bonacure color save silver shampoo (i used it twice in a row) then as recommende by sallys i put the dye on put a cap on and used the hairdryer on it for 5 mins and like she said overall left it on for 30 mins.

I will try all your tips, see the lemon juice one, does that mean i put mixture on and leave it on, dry me hair wiv hairdryer and then put more lemon juice in it?

use head and shoulders and mix in some bicarb. try not to puke while u are doing it, h+s makes me feel sick. evil shampoo!!! LOL

Hehehe I think Head & Shoulders should use you for their next ad campaign LOL :biggrin:

did all your tricks, the head and shoulders with bicarb was good could see colour coming out, hair is now an unusual grey colour, thats after 6 washes this morning, can see an improvemnt but will just have to keep working at it, any more tips most welcomed, thanks!

Ouch that's a pretty bad disaster
Semi permanent colour is hard to strip with bleach so just keep washing it and use a deep conditioning hair mask and a serum when you dry the hair

Good luck
JackOfAllTrades :Love:

Thanks so much for all your advice.

The shampoo was schwarzkopf bonacure color save silver shampoo (i used it twice in a row) then as recommende by sallys i put the dye on put a cap on and used the hairdryer on it for 5 mins and like she said overall left it on for 30 mins.

I will try all your tips, see the lemon juice one, does that mean i put mixture on and leave it on, dry me hair wiv hairdryer and then put more lemon juice in it?

The lady in Sallys really should not have advised you what colour to put on your hair even if it was a semi colour. I can't believe she recommended colour fresh 5/19, that is a very deep ash colour and leaving it on for 30 minutes would turn your hair dark grey as you have seen. You should have went back to Sallys to show her how your hair turned out!

I was in Sallys a few month ago buying a few colours and one of the girls asked if I needed any help (they should not advise on colours, my local wholesalers don't) so I asked her a question to see how much she knew about colours. I asked if the high lift tint would lift light brown coloured hair. Her answer was 'yes it will as the brown is not dark'. Thankfully I am qualified and know what I am doing but giving advice like this to someone who is not qualified will turn into a disaster!

If the bicarp & head and shoulders is working, I would keep washing it with that. Ash colours tend to grab and if your hair is very porous it will take a while to get it all out. I'm suprised your hairdresser did not lift your hair past the orange colour and put a toner on it or even tone the orange before you left the salon. x

I know you right but don't want to make a scene wiv the sallys women so will have to leave that and the hairdresser didnt seem overly perturbed by me orange hair.... oooo Ive learned a lesson the hard way

Gold colour mousse . And dont use the silver shampoo , until it starts to go the other way again( orange/gold)

The 'citrus' head and shoulders shampoo is taking the lowlights in my bleached hair out a treat x x

The 'citrus' head and shoulders shampoo is taking the lowlights in my bleached hair out a treat x x

Lol :lol: could be the citric lemon acids , that will be great for cleaning the drains too :lol:
a hairdresser on here used to recommend a lemonade sherbet mix too ,
but that was in America, I dont see them over here , perhpaps its those lemon sherbet crystals that they used to have in a big jar, or the white fizzy stuff in flying saucers ?
I am glad you found something ..... well done.... that's a good tip for removing unwanted colour , :) minky

Lol :lol: could be the citric lemon acids , that will be great for cleaning the drains too :lol:
a hairdresser on here used to recommend a lemonade sherbet mix too ,
but that was in America, I dont see them over here , perhpaps its those lemon sherbet crystals that they used to have in a big jar, or the white fizzy stuff in flying saucers ?
I am glad you found something ..... well done.... that's a good tip for removing unwanted colour , :) minky
Wyler's lemonade crystals, they come in a paper envelope and can usally be purchased 8 for $1.00. Very inexpensive fix for massive problems. Still a favorite standby and is AMAZING for removing the green tinge off swimmer hair.

1 lemonade packette
1oz chelating shampoo (purifying) or the cheapest harshest dandruff shampoo available

mix together apply to lightly damp hair, work to lather, rinse, repeat if needed. Shampoo with moisturizing shampoo followed by a deep conditioning treatment.

Sodium Bicarb is also amazing for removing true semi colors. Raises the pH of shampoo and provides a minimal abrasive to help "buff" the large color molecules off the cuticle layer.

Wyler's lemonade crystals, they come in a paper envelope and can usally be purchased 8 for $1.00. Very inexpensive fix for massive problems. Still a favorite standby and is AMAZING for removing the green tinge off swimmer hair.

1 lemonade packette
1oz chelating shampoo (purifying) or the cheapest harshest dandruff shampoo available

mix together apply to lightly damp hair, work to lather, rinse, repeat if needed. Shampoo with moisturizing shampoo followed by a deep conditioning treatment.

Sodium Bicarb is also amazing for removing true semi colors. Raises the pH of shampoo and provides a minimal abrasive to help "buff" the large color molecules off the cuticle layer.

Hi, Geni good to see you again :hug: that's the one .... that's the lemonade mix I was trying to remember :) lol
I think they sell those lemonade crystals over here but it comes loose in those big sweetie jars though ...... I wonder would it be the same thing
its very tarty if you dipped and licked it whilst just dry like a sherbet ? ...... I dont think Iv'e ever seen Wylers lemonade packets over here in the UK
:) minky

Latest posts

Back