Hair doesn't take colour well

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairgaga

Reaction score
I have a client who's hair seems to be resistant to colour (19 yo female,level 6-7 natural, no grey)

The first time I did her hair she had a faded out level 6/7 red on her ends and about 2 inches of natural root.

I used a Demi permanent ( colour wear alfaparf) and mixed 5.1 & 6.0, it literally did next to nothing (I've never had trouble with this colour before)

I went back and recoloured with the same mix in fanola permanent colour& 10 vol and it covered well.. All good.

Second app, I coloured with the same permanent mix all over as it was quite faded, it took well everywhere except her roots ! ( only exception was her hairline which did take the colour)

I went back and re tinted roots only in a shade darker,it took slightly better and blended ok with the mids but still not true too swatch as in joy as dark as expected.

I've never experienced this before it has me stumped....she's on no meds or anything. Her hair just hates me !

Sometimes different color lines do not work well with particular clients. I do not know why but have witnessed this before.Try a different line a stronger ammonia line like dickson mixed with clear peroxide not cream buffered developer might just do the trick or use 15 vol and add a little heat for processing. Just mix equal parts 10+20vol together for 15 vol. Her cuticle sounds tightly shut on her virgin hair.

I'll try that next time thanks

Another angle to consider...Does the hair feel very soft when dry? Could she have a build up of silicone products on her hair?

I agree with the PP that some colour lines don't suit everyone but also sometimes, you need to use a good chelating shampoo beforehand to remove product build up.

Maybe try pre softening or leaving it on longer

Latest posts

Back