Hair dye with pregnancy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giordanonails

Reaction score
Hey geeks!

Just popped over from nails to ask a quick question. I'm not qualified in anything hair related. My hairdresser uses Wella Colour Touch on me, think its a 77/45? I also have some sections through it done with magma 0.56.

Now, I've just found out I'm pregnant (yay!!) and wondering-can I still get my colour done whilst pregnant or will it cause harm to the baby?

Thanks for any help!!!!

Hey geeks!

Just popped over from nails to ask a quick question. I'm not qualified in anything hair related. My hairdresser uses Wella Colour Touch on me, think its a 77/45? I also have some sections through it done with magma 0.56.

Now, I've just found out I'm pregnant (yay!!) and wondering-can I still get my colour done whilst pregnant or will it cause harm to the baby?

Thanks for any help!!!!

Firstly congratulations!! How exciting!! :0)

Hairdressers still get their hair done and work with the chemicals, it's more of an old wives tale, the only reason people advise against it is because of hormone levels all over the place and colour could react differently to how it would normally. But it won't cause harm to your baby!

Hi there
I have coloured pregnant ladies hair for years, but I always tell them that due to hormone levels the colour might not be exactly the same as usual. I checked with my insurance company and they said to read manufacturers instructions to see if they mentioned pregnancy but they don't, so insurance company said it's ok to proceed but to carry out a skin test as normal xx

Oh thank goodness for that!!

I don't think the mousy brown roots would be a good look with my red locks!!

Thanks for the replies, I'll speak to my hairdresser and get her to check everything out

Xxx

It's not an old wives tell, not to colour hair when pregnant, I have been. Hairdressing for 25 years ( wow how old I am Hee Hee) your hormone level in first three months change hugely so advise colour not touch roots, as you could develop a new reaction! I would never take the risk

It's not an old wives tell, not to colour hair when pregnant, I have been. Hairdressing for 25 years ( wow how old I am Hee Hee) your hormone level in first three months change hugely so advise colour not touch roots, as you could develop a new reaction! I would never take the risk

So a pregnant hairdresser can't colour for 3 months?? Hmm

True. All manufacturers will advise this, and pregnant hairdressers can refuse to colour in the first trimester, or must use correct ppe.
Had 2 babies and been doing this 15 years. rarely encountered a problem but I wouldnt colour anyone in the first 12 weeks....if anything happened insurance wouldnt cover and I wouldnt live with myself!
Usually advisable to do a patch test each time as hormones put your hair right out of whack, and results can be unpredictable....

Found this & I don't colour my hair in early pregnancy either x ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1326489693.638206.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1326489710.626345.jpg

i usually state that it can change colour due to hormones but saying that iv never experienced it but i always get them to sign disclaimer to say they acknowledge this xx

Latest posts

Back