Hair Dye

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingertips ND

Brand New Mummy Geek
Reaction score
How often is 'too often' when dying your hair using a home dye kit?

It says on the box 'touch up every six weeks' but after three my roots are there again.

Am I ok to do it again or not?

If you just do your roots then I dont see whay not!

I do my mums, I put it on her roots for a bit and then for the last ten mins i brush the rest through in the hope that it'll all still match LOL!!
Seems to work fine, I do it probably once a month for her!!

HTH

Hi peeps,

I have a hairdresser that works for me and apparently once per month is too much, you must see my hairdresser's hair from doing it on herself too often, it looks awful. Hair dye is only to be used once every 6-8 weeks and then only on the roots. Every 6 months the colour can be combed through the hair and left on for 10-15 minutes as Tilly ann mentioned. If you choose a good quality non fading home kit your colour on the rest of your hair shouldn't fade and then doing the roots is all it'll need.

I suppose this is like doing your own nails with an argos nails kit. Please consult a professional before coulouring your hair more often than what you need to. It gives the recommended every 6 weeks on the box for a good reason!

xxxx

I just don't fancy walking round with an inch of brown roots showing through blonde hair!

if you are just doing the roots it would not matter because thats "virgin" hair. Its just if you are combing it through that you need to be careful. I would spray your hair with water as this will dilute the product and comb the colour through and only leave for 5mins vicki

Hi,

I have my roots done every 5 weeks at my hairdresser - so I would like to assume that this is OK !

River

im a hairdresser and i do my own roots every 4-5 weeks blonde shows up alot! lol as long as your using the product correctly and good aftercare i.e shampoo and conditioner then you are fine. just to be sure give yourself a conditioning treatment after every colour. shampoo your hair,towel dry it and apply conditoner to the ends of your hair not your roots and sit with a towel on your head for 20mins or so, so the heat from your head makes the condioner penertrate your hair :)

Why not go brunette chick, i changed over from blonde to brunette & love it, its so less maintence!

louise said:
Why not go brunette chick, i changed over from blonde to brunette & love it, its so less maintence!

Im thinking of doing this, but i am going to wait until summer is over first!!(only a month and a half to go!! im sick of having regrowth, it drives me nuts :D

Going Brunette isnt as much of a solution as you would think - I am naturally mid to dark blonde and get serious roots on my dark brown tinted hair. I would say they need done more often than when I was blonde!

I'm sure you must be using a high lift tint and not bleach...I wouldn't be using bleach that often and combing it through because it wil knacker your hair totally.

I have my roots done about every 4 weeks, unfortunately not due to blonde or dark coming through, but grey :eek: and my hair is in fine fettle.

Getting your roots done by a pro doesn't cost that much when you weigh up the cost of the home colour and the time taken to do it and cleaning up after yourself....so my advice is go pro.

nemotail said:
Going Brunette isnt as much of a solution as you would think - I am naturally mid to dark blonde and get serious roots on my dark brown tinted hair. I would say they need done more often than when I was blonde!
Me too hun, exactly the same problem as you, and Im so -paranoid in case it looks like my roots are grey not blonde lol

Yep my blonde roots with dark shining through looks kinda grey - good job I rent a room in a hairdressers!
KxXx

Latest posts

Back