Hair extension adhesive

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lancashirelass

Reaction score
What is everybody's views on the 'Italian keratin' or ' keratin tips' I am just doing a bit of investigation on this and wondered what peoples thoughts and views are on this. I have my own but just wanted to ask

Cheers

Love the italian keratin... bonds are great x

Italian Keratin a brilliant - rock solid when in and really resistant to water, oil etc.

Need the correct remover though - alcohol based rather than pure acetone

I have just ordered some and also thinking about the silicone adhesive that's being sold on eBay, I am going to get it analysed by the company who I purchase my adhesive from to see if what they call it 'Italian keratin' really exists and what is actually in it.

I have always used polyamide and had no problems with it but will see what the others come back as.

Has anyone else found that the Italian keratin has a higher melting point? Or is it just me? I personally don't find it as easy to work with....

I have used pellets to pretip hair a couple of times and it was too fiddly so ended up using my adhesive gun and polyamide adhesive. when the pellets melted on the wand they seemed exactly the same adhesive as a polyamide but they where sold as 'keratin' and did exactly the same job as a polyamide so I found no difference between the two even though one was sold to me as 'keratin'

I will find out exactly how much 'keratin' and other materials are in the products once they have been sent off to be analysed. Or will it just be a good old polyamide adhesive.

This is what one of my hair suppliers said on this issue. They have their own scientific lab and research things like this regularly.

"Keratin is an amino acid and is extracted from scrap hair and hydrolyzed in powder form for hair products. It is completely useless for bonding and it does not add any protective properties to the bond. During the development process for our hair extensions, we contracted an adhesive formulator to conduct identification tests on several top selling hair extension adhesives on the market. The results show they do not contain human hair proteins. Keratin adhesive for hair extensions is a myth and we would welcome any opportunity to dispute this by sending their adhesive to a third party testing laboratory. It’s a great idea, but so far the evidence points to it being just an idea."

I think many say Keratin glue and that is made of hair protein as it just sounds safer to put in your hair than to say we are using a polyamide glue but to be honest it is the same idea.

This is what one of my hair suppliers said on this issue. They have their own scientific lab and research things like this regularly.

"Keratin is an amino acid.

No, it's not! Basic biochemistry. I'm sure it's just a typing error but I'd point this out to them because it makes them seem like they do not know what they are talking about. X

I have subscribed to this thread as I would be interested to know what you find out as I believe there is a difference, but that's just from my experience.

The adhesive manufacturer who I have been using has said the same he said that basically glue is glue and all the spiel or hype about Italian keratin and keratin does not exist. I have rang a few companies and got samples of adhesive and they all seem the same as I use a polyamide.

This is why I started this thread to see what peoples opinions are on this subject,

When you think a about the words keratin, Italian keratin, wax, they all sound I suppose better and kinder than good old glue and at the end of the day this is what it is glue!

I understand it is a glue based adhesive (it has to be, obviously) which I understand to be mixed with a keratin protein which gives it more flexibility and is less harmful to the natural hair structure. I'll see if I can find the papers where I got my research from.

Not promising anything tonight... had a few B-B-Q drinks :biggrin: lol x

There is amino acid sequences in keratin. I guess what they mean it is made up of amino acids. Regardless they say it has no real bonding properties and the more I think about it the more I think I agree. I think what we ultimately need is just a glue that bonds to keratin.

Mmmm :rolleyes: so all this talk about Keratin glue is just marketing hype.

Well as long as it does not ruin the hair im ok.

How do you know if bonds are italian? Will they normally state this in the description?

I understand that the Italian bonds work better with the cold fusion machine. Can anyone confirm this please?

I have just about got all my samples together from different suppliers and am going to send them off to get analysed. Will await the results.

Whatever you use, nobody should be using "pure acetone", this is 2012!

There are a number of professional use products that do not strip the hair like "pure acetone" can.

It is worth spending a couple of pounds on decent products rather than pence on acetone.

It is best to speak with your current hair supplier and ask them what they recommend for the removal of glue.

A few weeks ago I sent off samples which I had collected from UK suppliers selling adhesive as 'Italian keratin' or 'keratin' all but one one has come back and none of them contain any substance as keratin, they are all a polyamide adhesive this proves that it's just a marketing hype.

A few weeks ago I sent off samples which I had collected from UK suppliers selling adhesive as 'Italian keratin' or 'keratin' all but one one has come back and none of them contain any substance as keratin, they are all a polyamide adhesive this proves that it's just a marketing hype.

How did you test them?

Yeah you said you sent them off? Where? I have some glue I need to test. Have two types of extensions in my hair and have had them for 3 months now. Half are fine and half are really crumbly I want to know the difference.

I will pm you details

Latest posts

Back