Hair extension client with nits! Help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleL

Reaction score
Hi,

Im after abit of advise.... i've fitted some nano ring extensions for a client and she contacted me today to say that she had caught nits from her children and that she wanted me to remove the extensions so that she could treat her hair and obviously get rid of the nits and eggs.
I have a real funny phobia about nits (I'm itching just typing this!) so i explained to my client that she would need to remove the extensions herself using pliers as i can't risk the contamination/ getting them myself.
I feel bad as i don't want to leave her in the lurch but also I don't know how to tackle this situation without catching them/passing them on etc

Was i right to do this? Would you have removed extensions from a client with nits?

Also once the extensions are removed, can she treat the hair extensions and reuse them?

Any advise?
thank you

Hi,

Im after abit of advise.... i've fitted some nano ring extensions for a client and she contacted me today to say that she had caught nits from her children and that she wanted me to remove the extensions so that she could treat her hair and obviously get rid of the nits and eggs.
I have a real funny phobia about nits (I'm itching just typing this!) so i explained to my client that she would need to remove the extensions herself using pliers as i can't risk the contamination/ getting them myself.
I feel bad as i don't want to leave her in the lurch but also I don't know how to tackle this situation without catching them/passing them on etc

Was i right to do this? Would you have removed extensions from a client with nits?

Also once the extensions are removed, can she treat the hair extensions and reuse them?

Any advise?
thank you

If she has nits, you can't remove them in the salon period.
You'll infest all your other clients.

She should get herself down the chemist, and buy a treatment for head lice.....
Did she definitely catch them from her children.....?
I do hope the extensions haven't 'hatched'!:eek:

I would have removed them or found someone else suitably qualified to do so. It's unprofessional to tell a client to remove their own extensions.

Once she's been treated and is clear for a couple of weeks you can refit the extensions. I would avoid treating the extensions wth chemical treatments that could damage them and instead use a nit comb on them every couple of days (the client can do this herself) make sure you don't refit them until you are sure there couldn't possibly be any more un hatched eggs or live lice.

The lice will die within days but the eggs can remain un hatched for ? 10-14 days? I'm not sure of the exact timeline

You also don't want to refit them too soon in case the client isn't fully treated. Head lice are very resilient now and can sometimes take many treatments to fully remove.

Sorry I forgot to add I'm mobile not salon based.

Latest posts

Back