Hair Extension colouration

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jevair

Reaction score
Hi, i am a newbie but got an issue...need urgent help pls. Work in a salon not fully qualified, but a customer got real human hair extension in and requested for it to be dyed as she thinks it would be ok.Personally I didn't think it would work but the main hairdresser thought it would be okay, but requested for her to hold on so she can try it out first. Is this possible? and how long is it going to last if at all it is ok?

If the hair is good quality, it is perfectly ok to colour. Just use 3% and halve your processing time. Once coloured, it will barely fade.

Thanks a bunch Sophisticutz. I will let you know how it goes. One thing i can confirm is that the hair is good, so i am optimistic.

Hi yes if its good hair as Sophisticuts says it should be ok .... but please make sure you test piece it all first though.
"just to be on the safe side ".

Hi yes if its good hair as Sophisticuts says it should be ok .... but please make sure you test piece it all first though.
"just to be on the safe side ".

thanks a lot Minky. form what you said u are suggesting we try it first on a small portion before applying it to the entire hair right? Coz to be honest, I was still considering various precautionary measures. Thanks for these tips. Please I need more information that would help. Coz we got more clients wanting this hair extensions but its mostly in a darker colour and since they are tangle free and can be re-used several times, they want blonde and other shades, which we have really been sceptical about. I have already suggested we do it the way Sophisticutz suggested and I will also take ur added infor on board Minsky and hope it works out fine. I am loving this forum alot.

thanks a lot Minky. form what you said u are suggesting we try it first on a small portion before applying it to the entire hair right? Coz to be honest, I was still considering various precautionary measures. Thanks for these tips. Please I need more information that would help. Coz we got more clients wanting this hair extensions but its mostly in a darker colour and since they are tangle free and can be re-used several times, they want blonde and other shades, which we have really been sceptical about. I have already suggested we do it the way Sophisticutz suggested and I will also take ur added infor on board Minsky and hope it works out fine. I am loving this forum alot.
Hi there,
You must not lighten hair extensions no matter how good the quality, only darken. Make sure you don't get the tint on the bonds as this will break them down. I take it you only have the clients word on the quality of the hair? Does anyone on the salon fit extensions? I personally wouldn't touch extensions I haven't supplied but maybe that's a confidence thing on my part.

I think it might be a good idea to get the client to sign a disclaimer stating as you haven't supplied the hair you can't be held responsible if anything goes wrong.

If you are trying to lighten the hair you will be sorely disappointed. You cannot lighten extensions as it has already been through a chemical process. It will degrade the hair and not even really change.

Always get the nearest shade and then colour DOWN 1 or 2 shades for the best results. The rule only changes if you want red. You then colour your nearest red hair with your target red for longevity.

this is getting complicated and i dont know what to do..to be honest. Original colour is dark brown and now client wants it blonde. So I take it is not feasible? I haven't done it yet, though i suggested it. Please i would really appreciate more help and info on this.
thanks....

No it's not feasible! Better to know now than later!

Hi, although there are some extensions out there that you can use a quasi semi permanent over to take it a couple of shades darker

I for one never offer this as a service at all !
and I don't offer any advice to clients who may think of colouring it themselves
I usually warn them against it because .....
the extension hair does not all come from just one head of hair it can come from several heads of hair , therefore the results can be very unpredictable ...

Never lighten it as the bonds will remain black inside and it will probably turn very patchy, plus it may be coated hair which could easily disintegrate.

If she wants blonde extensions tell her she needs to order blonde extensions

Don't be pushed into doing this .... it's not advisable,
Plus you only know what she chooses to tell you about this hair.

Most experienced extensionists find its best to work the opposite way around.

Meaning they only match the extensions hair to the clients own hair colour , ( never the other way around )
and a good hair supplier will always colour match it for you .
hth

You will have to buy blonde extensions to do this client. There are some great blondes out there to choose from.

Minky, I colour extensions all the time and always get a great result. So many clients now have fashion colours or 'solid' colours and the hair extension world has just not kept up. I also have foiled lighter extensions with darker colours. As I use double hair, it is an uncomplicated process. If you use good quality hair it is fine to colour. :)

Hi Soph , unless I myself have ordered the actual hair myself .... then I won't colour it.

I only ever colour ext with a semi. Never, ever attempt to lighten them, as they are always coloured with different dyes to what we use on natural hair. All ext hair is previously coloured unless you pay a fortune for it.
Think hair bleach on a dark t-shirt! Patchy and orange, thats if it doesnt melt.

Hair for ext should always be matched to the clients hair, not put in then dyed to match.

Jevair

The ONLY hair I would consider colouring would be Virgin Remy hair as it is the only hair which has not been previously dyed or chemically treated. Depending on the colour and texture of your client's hair you would need to source Russian, Brazilian or Indian Virgin Remy.

Best of luck!
Alexis
Home

Jevair

The ONLY hair I would consider colouring would be Virgin Remy hair as it is the only hair which has not been previously dyed or chemically treated. Depending on the colour and texture of your client's hair you would need to source Russian, Brazilian or Indian Virgin Remy.

Best of luck!
Alexis
Home

It really depend what brand you are using. I use Balmain, which have level colours, they have been designed for colouring. I have also coloured the most rubbishy clip-ins for show work and have had very good results. So that statement is incorrect and clearly designed to promote your website.

It really depend what brand you are using. I use Balmain, which have level colours, they have been designed for colouring. I have also coloured the most rubbishy clip-ins for show work and have had very good results. So that statement is incorrect and clearly designed to promote your website.
Dear Sophisticutsz / Donna

I’m a little sad today as I usually get a warmer welcome as a new member to a forum. 

My comment was intended as a SINCERE comment to assist Jevair (as with other posts) NOT to merely promote my website as you have suggested.

My previous experience in R&D and marketing for a global producer and supplier of hair (to many large brands) has revealed EXACTLY how hair extensions are produced. Many of the finishes on coloured human hair make it very difficult to get a good result when dyeing and the hair is further compromised in the process. It was for that reason that I suggested Virgin Remy which has not been tampered with in any way as the only hair category/quality I would use for bespoke dyeing (regardless of what brand Jevair intends to use). Ultimately, it really depend on the desired longevity of the ext and investment that the client wished. Obviously, you too are entitled to your opinion based on your experience.

Have a great day! :)
Alexis

We have many companies trawling this site to sell their goods. It clearly states in the geek rules that this is not allowed. If you wanted to promote your business, you could have done this via a PM.

You stated that it was only possible to colour virgin remy hair that you sell. That statement is incorrect and I base that not solely on opinion but 22 years of experience in numerous sectors of the hair industry. I think you will find that that what you stated was an opinion and not a fact. Facts are something that that is based on evidence, which most geeks will back me up on, I am passionate about.

Being to the point is not being rude, it's to the point.

this is getting complicated and i dont know what to do..to be honest. Original colour is dark brown and now client wants it blonde. So I take it is not feasible? I haven't done it yet, though i suggested it. Please i would really appreciate more help and info on this.
thanks....

Hi Jevair, i am 100% agreeing with the other geeks on her saying this is not feasable. Any dyeing of extensions need s some skill and practice and definately best not to start this but dying hair extensions while on a clients head. To get brown to Blonde require bleaching them and that a bid no no when it comes to extensions. I have a client with extensions that i dye a bright copper. when i recently went non holiday another hairdresser was going to refresh the colour if it faded too muc and applied the colour that was too red and too dark ( she is fully qualified as a hairdresser but not in extensions) , so in a panic they bleached over all the hair and extensions to lighten up the red!!!! the extensions were in a complete state and when back from my hols had to do alot of repair work!
I do dye a variety of extension brands with great results but after years of practice.
so your clients would be best to enjoy being brown for a while longer and then when ready for the next set can consider going blonde and having blonde extensions. Let us know how all your extension experiences go :) x

Dear Sophisticutsz / Donna

I’m a little sad today as I usually get a warmer welcome as a new member to a forum. 

My comment was intended as a SINCERE comment to assist Jevair (as with other posts) NOT to merely promote my website as you have suggested.

My previous experience in R&D and marketing for a global producer and supplier of hair (to many large brands) has revealed EXACTLY how hair extensions are produced. Many of the finishes on coloured human hair make it very difficult to get a good result when dyeing and the hair is further compromised in the process. It was for that reason that I suggested Virgin Remy which has not been tampered with in any way as the only hair category/quality I would use for bespoke dyeing (regardless of what brand Jevair intends to use). Ultimately, it really depend on the desired longevity of the ext and investment that the client wished. Obviously, you too are entitled to your opinion based on your experience.

Have a great day! :)
Alexis
Sorry you took Donna's very valid point personally. Your experience in marketing isn't really a valid argument here, as our experience with hair, and hair used for extensions is pretty extensive.
If you are really as expert as you say, you would realise that;
1 "remy" means hair gleaned from brush combings, which is then hackled out.
2 virgin hair comes from many heads, as has already been said, results are variable
3 Hair used for extensions is subject to different dyes than those that hairdressers use "on scalp" so react differently to the on scalp hair.

So, as a newbie, can I extend a warm welcome, and an assurance that there are some industry experts on here.

Latest posts

Back