Hair extension/complaining client help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
so basically I am in a right state over what to do, more frustrated than anything!

Warning and apologies in advance for the essay rant...

So a girl I know come into my salon and had her hair curled for a night out....a week or so later she emailed me saying her hair was ruined since having it curled was there anything she could do at home..that's the only thing she'd had done no colour etc. So I messaged back and said I doubt it's from having it curled but I was more than happy for her to come back to the salon for me to have a look and if I thought it needed it I would do an olaplex treatment. I explained it might be a build up of products and to use a good clarifying shampoo and coconut oil until she could get in to me. She said she would try that. A few days later she posted on Facebook slating my salon saying we had ruined her hair...we curl peoples hair all day everyday and this is the first I'd heard of, but obviously she is a client and I wouldn't leave any client unhappy, so I saw the post and messaged her asking her to come back to the salon for us to have a look and descide what's best. Rather than do that she went to another salon and supposedly had 4inches cut off. I was annoyed and upset that she hadn't come back to us and hadn't even tried what we'd suggested at home, as if she had come back I really don't think it would have led to her having that cut off. she sent me a picture and her hair didn't look great but she did NOT leave the salon looking like that, it looks as if she has literally straightened over hairspray...we put hairspray on at the end, so the only thing I could think is that she's brushed her hair out the next day and straightened over it.

Anyway I heard no more and left it at that and we now tell every client to wash products out before using heat on there hair again, I'd never done this before as I though it was just common sense, but after all this it's now something we all do. A couple of months have passed and she called up asking for hair extensions, I analysed her hair and said I was more than happy to do it. I didn't particularly want her back in the salon but I thought if she was walking around with hair extensions we had done and people asked her, after she'd complained about us so publicly they would realise we couldn't be that bad otherwise she wouldn't have come back.

I told her the price of the extensions etc...she was more than happy. She come in was lovely didn't mention her hair condition and even said she thinks it may have been where she's straightened over it, so I left it at that. Anyway when she come to pay her card got declined she said she would go straight to the bank...she phoned 30 mins later and said she'd drop the money off once she'd picked her kids up. Anyway she never did so I texte her and asked when she'd be bringing it in...she replied saying that she didn't realise that her car insurance had come out could she pay it the following week, I said yeah that's fine and arranged the day. The day come and went and I messaged a couple of days later...she replied saying she was really struggling for money and asked if she could pay half next week half the week after I agreed. As I thought I couldn't get money off someone claiming they had none. Anyway a month soon passed and I've received no payment. I decided to message her and explained the hair was on a wholesale account and had to be paid she said she would drop it in, I went on holiday come back still no Money just a text claiming she wasn't mugging it off and would have it at end of July... 2 months after fitting!! I didn't receive it so messaged her saying it's her final chance for her to message back saying she wasn't paying!! I've called and her reason being was because we ruined the hair, I explained that the agreement was never that we fitted her with a full head of hair extensions and had she come back to the salon I know she wouldn't have had to have that many inches off, anyways after her going on about not paying I said to her I wanted the hair back. She asked what the point in that was as and I explained that it had cost us a lot of money and the girls could use it on the blocks for training, ( they wouldn't but I would rather put it in the bin that someone that's slated my salon have it in their hair for free!) I said if not I would knock the fitting cost off but she'd have to pay for the hair. She said she would just drop it off.

A week on still no hair....have just messaged and she has replied saying she isn't giving the hair back and that she's taking it as compensation!!

This has left me £400 out of pocket what's people's advice to do? The salon has a 5 star rating. I can't even see how she's saying it's compensation when she didn't even come back to the salon for us to look at her hair and nowhere have I admitted it would have been down to us. I have all the messages saying when she would pay...surely she should have said this from the start, I would never have agreed to fit them on those terms as I really believe curling her hair didn't cause that amount of damage at all!I'm so frustrated that I trusted her and feel like she's now walking around with hair I've paid for for nothing!!!

What would you do in this situation?

Last edited:
I'd honestly go down the route of legal advice. I'm assuming you have all the messages and communication between you stating that she will pay, even if you just pay for a letter to be drawn up stating that you will take her to court.

It makes me so angry that people treat this industry this way and think they can just not pay for the service!

Defiantly see your solicitor and have a letter sent out to her...that is absolute madness so she clearly had No intention in paying you at all? She was only fobbing you off. How she has the nerve to do this is beyond me......

I'd honestly go down the route of legal advice. I'm assuming you have all the messages and communication between you stating that she will pay, even if you just pay for a letter to be drawn up stating that you will take her to court.

It makes me so angry that people treat this industry this way and think they can just not pay for the service!

Thank you!! I know I'm so upset, you don't walk into Sainsbury's and not pay for your shopping so why walk in to a salon and do that!! She's basically saying I should take it out of the girls wages that ruined her hair....she had her hair curled! I don't even think she would be able to stand up in court and claim heat damage, plus I have all messages from her saying she was going to pay etc never did I agree a compensation for something I don't believe we did!
Thanks for your advice!

Defiantly see your solicitor and have a letter sent out to her...that is absolute madness so she clearly had No intention in paying you at all? She was only fobbing you off. How she has the nerve to do this is beyond me......
I don't think she had any intention of paying at all!! Ive got all the texts and also the Facebook messages from when she claimed we ruined her hair, so I'm going to take legal advice.

She's even had the cheek to post on Facebook today asking if it's best to have her hair extensions taken out and refitted for holiday...ink one of the comments she's out 'I've got the hair so just need to pay someone to fit it'
Surely that's like £300 worth of stolen goods!!
Thanks for your help feel better after reading the comments!

I don't think she had any intention of paying at all!! Ive got all the texts and also the Facebook messages from when she claimed we ruined her hair, so I'm going to take legal advice.

She's even had the cheek to post on Facebook today asking if it's best to have her hair extensions taken out and refitted for holiday...ink one of the comments she's out 'I've got the hair so just need to pay someone to fit it'
Surely that's like £300 worth of stolen goods!!
Thanks for your help feel better after reading the comments!
Oh my god!!!!

What a cheek she has...thats actually horrific to think she has the neck to ask for it to be refitted by someone else aswell when she didn't even pay in the first place. Definately copy all those posts and straight to ur solicitor. I feel for you...its in these situations you wish you didn't have to do everything bY the book lol as my granny woukd say a good clip aroind the ear she should get!!

That is so bad :(

If you've got the posts where she was bad mouthing the salon you can look into that too. Go teach this b*tch some manners!!

Take her to court most definitely. She has defrauded you and basically stolen from you. Send her a letter stating she has 7 days to pay IN FULL otherwise you will begin legal action. You can do it online it's easy. Don't let her get away with that cheeky *^~#^*!!!!!

I would warn other extension techs locally too, privately, that she is a non payer... steer clear!!

Also tell her you have withdrawn the offer of paying just for half. If you have messages with her telling you she will pay, drop it off etc then it's proof there wasn't any compensation agreement. ,!

Also tell her you have withdrawn the offer of paying just for half. If you have messages with her telling you she will pay, drop it off etc then it's proof there wasn't any compensation agreement. ,!

Thank you I've messaged everyone else around my area 2 people have even offered to book her in and just take the hair as it's stolen I'm going to see my solicitor on Monday.

I would normally just let it go but I'm just furious that I gave her so many opportunities and even offered to put her on a payment plan. I know she has 2 kids and we all know what it's like to have a skint month so I didn't want her stressing over it (even though she should have worked her money situation out before booking) but none the less. I've basically been taken for a mug and am now a full head of hair and my time out of pocket! I even tried to tell her that the hair was on a wholesale count and if it wasn't paid by a certain date it would gain interest....so for all she knows that is true and she's still dragged it out 2 nearly 3 months. She will be welL well over due maintainace so Christ know what state her hairs in, But I'm not taking responsibility for that. When I asked for the hair back she had the cheek to say 'you know you can't reuse it that's not legal!' Well duhhhh but to me it's just principle other wise I would just leave it.

She literally lives across the road from me...FML! Lol

Just to add, ensure that before fitting any extensions to take a deposit that covers all hair cost - avoids you being completely out of pocket x

Just to add, ensure that before fitting any extensions to take a deposit that covers all hair cost - avoids you being completely out of pocket x
Something I always do. I take half payment up front always before I order the hair

Since when has re using hair been illegal?? She sounds like a right sort. No don't let it go. She knew the cost and if she couldn't afford it then don't get it done..simple.. money owed in full or u take her to court and she will incur extra costs on top of her bill. Her choice. She won't have a leg to stand on if u have all her messages! F^*^+~# idiot she is!!

Yeah I'm going to start taking payments I've been doing it for 9 years now and never taken deposits because everyone is recommended so it's always someone I know or know of but lesson learnt now I'm going to have to and think Im going to take full payment at the start of the appointment.

I'm going to message her tomorrow and explain that all correspondence between me and her are going to be used in evidence as nowhere was it ever agreed she had a full head fitted for free and that if she doesn't pay up within 7 days legal action will be taken and that I'm going to have no further contact with her anything future will be dealt with by a solicitor.

I keep thinking just leave it because I keep freaking myself out that she will just reverse it and take me to court for damage to her hair, but Again I have all evidence that her hair was only curled at the salon and I offered her to come back for me to look and treat if needed but she went somewhere else so for all I know the dAmage could have been caused at home or else where, but it's principle and I'm expirienced And i truly do not believe that in a 30min curling appointment so much damage could be caused x

Yeah I'm going to start taking payments I've been doing it for 9 years now and never taken deposits because everyone is recommended so it's always someone I know or know of but lesson learnt now I'm going to have to and think Im going to take full payment at the start of the appointment.

I'm going to message her tomorrow and explain that all correspondence between me and her are going to be used in evidence as nowhere was it ever agreed she had a full head fitted for free and that if she doesn't pay up within 7 days legal action will be taken and that I'm going to have no further contact with her anything future will be dealt with by a solicitor.

I keep thinking just leave it because I keep freaking myself out that she will just reverse it and take me to court for damage to her hair, but Again I have all evidence that her hair was only curled at the salon and I offered her to come back for me to look and treat if needed but she went somewhere else so for all I know the dAmage could have been caused at home or else where, but it's principle and I'm expirienced And i truly do not believe that in a 30min curling appointment so much damage could be caused x
These type of people are everywhere....jjst horrible you had to go through this. Let us know how you get on x

Yes do it!! She's a bully and u can bet this isn't her first time ripping someone off! She has no proof of any damage to her hair was it damaged when u applied her extensions? No! Go through with it, u will be glad u did trust me. I got paid 12 years after a non payer ripped me off after I saw her in the sun newspaper! Messaged her as she was clearly 'working' ( playboy model selling a sex tape) ...she paid up!! Ah sweet justice... if u need any help doing a claim give me a shout I love standing up to bullies..[emoji38]

So sorry to hear this !

Absolutely not acceptable! She has stolen from you.

Contact a solictor and ask them for some advice.so disgusting that people think they have the right to do this and then bad mouth you too and possibly loose you more custom !

Never trust people in future even if they are the nicest person in the world it's just not worth the hassle. Xx

Latest posts

Back