Hair extension complaint, help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greatlengths

Reaction score
Hello geeks,

Mid October I fitted a full head of fusion bonds (supplier glamorous lengths) to a client she loves quite a while away and explained that I would charge £15 for travel costs (return train fare) each time I visit. She loved them at first and she looked amazing with them in! In December I receive the following text...

"Lucy I'm sorry but you're going to have to make an emergency trip over here to sort my extensions now. I've been brushing regularly leaving conditioner in using serum and they are matted as hell to the point where it is just one big knot. I had to cut some earlier coz it was so tangled up and my brush got stuck. I think I want them taken out as I didn't expect this to happen at all"

I explained that she mustn't panic and went through all the aftercare before making my way over to her (lives about 30 minutes away) I also explained that a maintenance app is long overdue and erdged her to book.

The maintenance app was approaching and out of courtesy I text her to confirm to which she explains that she can't afford the travel costs (just before Xmas) I explained that I can't come up with out it due to it being before Xmas so I welcomed her to mine (to which she dismissed) we then arranged an app for the new year.

I then receive the following text.

"Lucy I'm sorry to do this but I am so angry. My extensions are horrendous. They Matt continuously even when dry and brushed. I constantly brush and put serum and leave in conditioner in yet they are still a mess. I am also extremely annoyed with the additional £15 you asked for 2 days before u were due to come and do the maintenance. Why didn't u tell me that at the time?? Surely u should tell ppl that up front. The extensions have slipped dramatically and I now fully regret having them done. I've seen a professional and been told they should not be like this at all after such a short period of time. I spent £205 getting these done and wish I never had. I would like some sort of refund please as I now having to consider having them taken out. I am so upset and angry and this is not at all what I expected. Worse still when I asked u to help and come and do a maintenance appt u ignored me!! I take from that that u don't want the business!! Please contact me ASAP to arrange refund "

I replied...

"Hi Carly, I'm a little confused at this as I have many clients with hair from the same supplier who have had them in a lot longer than yours and have not had such horrendous issues. Even natural hair will nott and become dry when it is 18 inches long which is why I stress that the correct daily aftercare is followed. I am deeply sorry that this has happened and that you feel as though you wish you had never had them as I think they looked amazing on you. It may seem as though I have ignored you with your last text unanswered but with a full time job and small child I don't always have time to check my phone however I do accept that that was my fault. Of course I am happy to come see you for maintenance but it does cost me over £15 on a train up to you and back which I did ask for when we set up the consultation previously. Would you mind taking pictures of the hair so that I can take up this issue with the supplier? If you really feel as though you have followed the aftercare thoroughly, I have no problem speaking to the supplier to see whether this could be an issue with the hair. The offer for maintenance is still there also, I wouldn't be able to come to you until next week but you are more than welcome to come down here anytime this week"

It's easy for me to assume she hasn't followed the correct aftercare but I won't ever know! If she lived round the corner I would be straight round there with no charge

Please advise what I can do next?

Greatlengths xx

I meant she lives quite a while away!

Greatlengths xx

See this is why I won't travel to far to do extensions because if any little problems happen you have to travel up there. If she will not let you see them or send a picture it is hard for you to know what's going on, she may be lying about it to get a refund just because she doesn't like them anymore! If it was me I would maybe waver the travel expenses up there just this once to see her as this could end in disaster! If not tell her she needs to come and see you so you can see the hair for yourself before going any further, if she won't let you see her then tell her there's nothing you can do without seeing the hair x

I think the fact she has taken matters into her own hands and has cut them etc herself because you haven't been able to rectify the situation, it is now out of your hands. Just explain you can't rectify the situation as she has cut them etc herself and because she didn't make her maintenance appointment you can't do anything else as that's why you must have maintenance and if you don't they won't last as long. She's had them in since October so no refund should be issued as if there was a problem it should have been stated at the very start and then a refund would be available

Sean Collins Hairdressing Glasgow

Also I don't think u need this ladies business.

Sean Collins Hairdressing Glasgow

Asking for a refund months after install is little silly - if she has not let you see them and did not have a maintenance then there's nothing you could have done to rectify, a client should give you a chance to do so and by taking them out herself has taken the responsibility herself. Do not worry, you have done nothing wrong.

Sorry I see that she hasnt removed but has cut it

She has had her wear out of it. She got half way and needed maintenance to bring it back up to best but refused to pay or travel down to you, its now time to be removed and the hairs looking to be at the end of its life.

I would not refund anything based on this.

Now the thing that jumps out at me is 'leave in conditioner' I know if I OD that stuff my hair goes like cardboard so I only use it once a week. It was immediately better once I did that. Also itx easy to get build up and dirty hair makes it unmanageable. I wouldnt be surprised if it couldnt be revived once removed with a double clean, deep moisturiser and trim the ends.

I do agree with babychops about distance, you need to be strict with your ladies if thats the case, make sure its in writing before fitting so it can't be used against you later.

x

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks everyone, I think she is just panicking as I would be I guess! I will message her again and offer to come up free of charge but it's hard to manage when she lives so far (which I did explain right at the very start!)

Greatlengths xx

Thanks everyone, I think she is just panicking as I would be I guess! I will message her again and offer to come up free of charge but it's hard to manage when she lives so far (which I did explain right at the very start!)

Greatlengths xx

Ask her to come to you perhaps?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Ask her to come to you perhaps?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Done that and she said 'why would I come to you when the luxury of it all was you coming to me'

She's not being very realistic and it can't be that much of an emergency!

Greatlengths xx

Id go to draw the line then, id say

The cost of maintenance and travel was discussed prior to fitting, as your not willing to pay or travel to me there is nothing more I can do. Unfortunately extensions are not a 'one-off' cost and by missing maintenance you have only exacerbated any problems.

Currently there is nothing further to discuss, if you would like to book in for maintenance/removal please do so.

I really think any kind of 'guarantee' can only be given with regular maintenance and retailing products to self pay for it. Most hair companies will only warrenty 1month even with their products. I think we should all add this to our t&c's. x

Id go to draw the line then, id say

The cost of maintenance and travel was discussed prior to fitting, as your not willing to pay or travel to me there is nothing more I can do. Unfortunately extensions are not a 'one-off' cost and by missing maintenance you have only exacerbated any problems.

Currently there is nothing further to discuss, if you would like to book in for maintenance/removal please do so.

I really think any kind of 'guarantee' can only be given with regular maintenance and retailing products to self pay for it. Most hair companies will only warrenty 1month even with their products. I think we should all add this to our t&c's. x

Well said! Thank you

Greatlengths xx

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to me it sounds like she's trying it on. If she's had them in since mid-October then it's almost three months now, therefore she shouldn't have great expectations of them lasting much longer anyway. If she paid the £15 the first time round, she surely knew that it would cost her that on top of any other costs whenever she scheduled an appointment with you. And why would she even want a refund? What for? £205 is not a lot of money to begin with, at least not for extensions!
If it was so terrible, she would've contacted you to get the extensions removed asap or else she would've gone somewhere closer to her home and stopped contacting you altogether.
People need to grow up and understand that however great hair extensions look, they are a) hard work and b) not your own hair.
I would just ignore her until she decides what she wants to do, if she is willing to pay for you to go to hers, fine, if she decides to come to you, fine, but don't let her intimidate you!

Latest posts

Back