Hair extension insurance advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebecca leanne

Reaction score
Hii. I had a new client wanting nano ring hair extensions the other day.
I booked her in for consultation, colour matched her hair, talked her through everything and made sure she was happy..
She came to me a few days later to have her hair fitted. Her hair was brown with a few blonde highlights through the top.
When she got here i told her the brown colour had came through slightly different to her own and hadn't taken it out of the packet incase she wanted me to send them back and change them but she said it was fine and a really nice colour so 3 hours later her hair had all been fitted.
She was really happy with it when she looked in the mirror and she left. no longer then 20 minutes later i had a text from her saying the brown looked really gingery and that she was at her hairdressers who had said i had done the extensions to high and tight which i do not think was true, i had left a cm or 2 gap from the root and gone up high enough on her hair to make it look natural. I texted her back saying if she wanted me to pay for a brown dye for her to put over her hair it would take out the gingerness, she said her hairdresser told her she wasnt allowed to dye them which is not true. I also told her i could loosen them more for her and remove any hair that she thought was too high up her head. She didnt want any of this and told me i needed to refund her or she was going to take this further and asked for my insurance details. I told her on consultation i cannot refund once hair has been used or refund for my time unless there was damage to her hair or something went wrong.. she told me i had made a mess of her hair aswell which i have pictures to show her hair was fine and im sure it does not change within half hour of having them in.
Thing is i have no insurance at the moment and am just wondering if she does take this to court, what could happen to me?
I did everything right and believe there was no damage to her hair, i offered to sort it out for her and she seemed happy with it before and after she left my house. I have countless regular and new clients that have never complained before and really upset by it. Just dont know what i can do from here..

Thankyou and sorry for writing so much!

Was probably one of those clients that build themselves up to have them that day and its a disappointment to say no and then when she saw it in day light obviously thought it was too different to her own hair. A lot of people are too scared/ shy to complain to people's faces. I have a lot of legal papers that people need to tick box and sign at the end of fitting which includes they are happy with the colour choice that had been decided between the client and technician, after care has been explained and understood etc so you have all the legal things signed for that they could possibly come back on. She agreed to the colour so she cant go back on that and as you said its been fitted and you cant get the money back. Sometimes people dont like the feel of the extensions so they use something else as an excuse to try and get their money back as like a trial xx

Can I ask, why you've chosen not to get any insurance?

I finished my course 2 years ago and was working at the time and not doing the hair extensions on anyone apart from friends/family. End of last year i lost my job and started this up, wasnt getting many clients but has picked up a lot so have sent off my certificate and everything to gain insurance last month. Should of done it earlier but wasnt going to do the extensions fulltime

Ohh i didnt see you are not insured. I would have never touched the head till i was fully insured but whats done is done :/ xx

Have you got your before during and after pic to see why she may be unhappy and to see if they are too high/ tight

Best to get your insurance sorted, it's peace of mind. In the mean time try not to worry about it. I'm pretty sure that the law says that the client has to give you a reasonable opportunity to correct any problems/issues etc. she hasn't even come back to let you see it so she doesn't have a leg to stand on legally. I think she's trying it on. Also, it costs a lot of money to take someone to court. She would need to pay upfront costs of hundreds if pounds and those 'claim' companies won't touch her as she doesn't have a claim! It's stressful and upsetting but just be professional (which you have) offer to check the tension and placement (which you have) and try not to worry too much. Xx

i have before, during and after picture and see no problem. i just dont understand her when it could of easily been sorted out

Clearly trying it on then hun cos if it was harming someone I'm sure they would want them out straight away. Don't worry about it just get your insurance and use this case as a learner xx

I'm guessing you aren't registered with HMRC either?

Sorry, but this is a site for professionals not cowboys, which is sadly, what you are if you're not paying for insurance and tax etc.

Do you recall all those threads on here week after week complaining about being undercut by people offering cheap hair extensions? Now you know why!

I'm guessing you aren't registered with HMRC either?

Sorry, but this is a site for professionals not cowboys, which is sadly, what you are if you're not paying for insurance and tax etc.

Do you recall all those threads on here week after week complaining about being undercut by people offering cheap hair extensions? Now you know why!

Completely agree.

From before fitting on your first customer you should inform the inland revenue and have insurance in place.

This could be costly for you.

Do you have pics?

Best to get your insurance sorted, it's peace of mind. In the mean time try not to worry about it. I'm pretty sure that the law says that the client has to give you a reasonable opportunity to correct any problems/issues etc. she hasn't even come back to let you see it so she doesn't have a leg to stand on legally. I think she's trying it on. Also, it costs a lot of money to take someone to court. She would need to pay upfront costs of hundreds if pounds and those 'claim' companies won't touch her as she doesn't have a claim! It's stressful and upsetting but just be professional (which you have) offer to check the tension and placement (which you have) and try not to worry too much. Xx

It costs £15 to take someone to a small claims court not hundreds! And to be fair the op should not be working on anyone without insurance! :eek:

I finished my course 2 years ago and was working at the time and not doing the hair extensions on anyone apart from friends/family. End of last year i lost my job and started this up, wasnt getting many clients but has picked up a lot so have sent off my certificate and everything to gain insurance last month. Should of done it earlier but wasnt going to do the extensions fulltime

Surely you would have received your certs after your course? To even touch family/friends without insurance is bad enough but to fit a full paying client is dreadful! Even if she is trying it on, (which she probably is) you haven't a leg to stand on! I would refund the fitting charge as a goodwill gesture and hope she goes away.

Are you running a business with no insurance? Do you advertise for new business on Facebook etc?

Sorry but more fool you. If you did cause damage you would be screwed!

It costs £15 to take someone to a small claims court not hundreds! And to be fair the op should not be working on anyone without insurance! :eek:

Yep, can't argue with that. I sorted mine before I did anyone. I was really thinking that seeing as the OP's in this position, there's no point in laying in to her as its done. So she should sort the insurance and try not to worry in the mean time as the client hasn't given her a chance to even look at it, so it won't go far as a consumer complaint.
I didn't know that about small claims though!! I was told that it costs loads to take someone to court! No wonder so many people try it on.

Maybe you should just do a refund? Your opening a can of worms if it does go to court! No insurance & no hmrc ..... Recipe for disaster! Specially if you have been advertising on Facebook, the investigators won't miss a trick if they think you've been trading and not declaring it, personally if I was you I'd take them out & give a refund, then get insured!!

Latest posts

Back