Hair extension newbie

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MinxyKitten

Reaction score
Hi all. Am seriously considering doing an extension course, along with a basic cutting module and trying my hand as this as a business. I am not a trained hairdresser. The lady who does mine says there is a lot of business out there, but I am worried that after shelling out for courses and equipment that I won't find any! Am on the verge of redundancy so am hoping to find something to keep me ticking over until I get another full time job. Would you say it's worth a go?

Even though I am not a hairdresser I have cut my own hair for years, and some others, and have had a yearning to do extensions for a long time too! My older sister was a HD for many years and my younger sister is a make-up artist. I think this line of work may be in the blood

Ooh, smileys not allowed. That last statement was meant as a joke!!

Welcome to SalonGeek.
Sorry to hear about the potential redundancy situation and I think you’re very wise to be researching your potential options.

Some people do very well out of offering a hair extensions service but you need to know your market and have access to a good range of suppliers. Also, even if you train to fit various types of hair extensions, unless you complete a certified hairdressing course, you will not be insured to cut human hair, only blend the extension hair. Unfortunately, a lot of clients choose cheapness over quality and those that want the best quality hair extensions, tend to prefer their extensionists to be able to cut and colour/highlight their natural hair to match.

I recommend you do some further research in the area you’ll be working in to check out the potential market. It really does vary a lot. Also, have a browse through old threads to get a feel for the issues you might come across.

Good luck. :)

(emoji’s are allowed)

Thank you so much for your reply. I do think that being able to cut hair properly is a bonus. There is a Level 1 basic cutting course but I think it's just to blend the extensions in. More research needed I think! Thanks again

Latest posts

Back