Hair extension refund?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Divajojo

Reaction score
I fitted cold fusion to a client 3 weeks ago, 2 days after the fitting she said a couple had fell out then 5 days later more had fell out. She came into the salon to have them put back in, however some more fell out so she asked for a weave which stupidly I fitted for free even though she had actually admitted to picking her hair and that it's probably her fault the extensions were coming out! So she left the salon happy text me saying how happy she was with her hair. Then today I get a letter off her saying how unhappy she has been to citizens advice and she has had to go to another salon to get her hair fixed and if I refund her she won't bad mouth me if I don't refund her she will take me to court! I have lots of text messages saying how happy she has been with her hair and thanking me and then this horrible letter! Can anyone advise me on what to do? I'm a fully qualified hairdresser and extensions at and have never had a complaint before?!

Sounds like she's pulling a fast one. Did you take pics? I'd keep the text if she was to take you to court you did fit a free weave! Compensation enough if say don't dwell on it till something happens

Ask to see her and that you need to assess her hair. Then ask to see the receipt from the other "salon" she went to. Say you need it for insurance purposes.

Play her at her own game and she will back off. Cant stand people like that just out to make a fast buck.

Laura x

I would tell her to get lost. It honestly pains me to hear stories like this over and over again, we are not a charity, this is our work! I can understand a client being unhappy, frustrated, dissatisfied etc but court action? Hello!?!
Don't let her intimidate you, it's not as straightforward as she is making it out to be, Trading Standards have other, bigger fish to fry and would probably laugh at her if she complained to them.
I have been threatened by clients with TS (seems to be a new trend amongst them), their brothers and mothers, their husbands, strangely enough never their dogs...this is just an illustration of how people are going to try and get something for free, happy to stoop to the lowest level in forfeiture of all dignity.

TRICHOTILLOMANIA is a psychological condition where the client pulls and twists the hair out at the roots. She admits to "picking at her hair", so she is clearly at fault.

You as a Professional Service Provider have done all in your power to satisfy this customer with putting another set in for free.

Unfortunately if this customer goes on the internet and "bad mouths you", it could damage your business. It may be best to butter her up and try to keep calm and reason with her, and hopefully come to some compromise.

This can be a tricky situation if you are dealing with a client who may have:

a stressful nature
money problems
are slightly unbalanced
not thinking rationally

Hope this help, and good luck.
l

Last edited:
That must be a horrible situation to be in. Not only are you worrying about it in the back of your head but also it will knock your confidence. Don't let it worry you. Likeliness is she hasn't even been to citizens advice. She probably hasn't been to another salon to get them fixed. And if she wants to take it to court it will cost her. Play her at her game. Say you are keeping the messages she had sent you about how happy she was. Plus I also think if she wasn't happy she would of had to put this claim in before she had them redone, otherwise wouldn't it be down to the people she had them done last with? I don't know this isn't my background. But sounds to me asif she's trying to pull a fast one and she hasn't done any of the above. Did you get her to fill in any forms or anything? So that your covered? I would just go along with her, a liar never remembers what lies they've told because it simply isn't true. So head high don't let her worry you :)

I had one client like this before, she has no leg to stand on because trading standards say that she has to inform you in writing of the problems she's having and give you a chance to fix them. If she continued having problems and didn't let you know then it's not possibly your fault x

Thank you all for your comments, I think I am going to write her a letter stating everything I have done for her and how all of her text messages actually contradict all of her letter. I do not want to give her a refund as I feel I have done enough, but I will ask her to come in to the salon to see her hair and view the pictures she says she has. She did actually tell me she wasn't happy with her previous hairdresser! Alarm bells should have been ringing then!

I would tell her to get lost. It honestly pains me to hear stories like this over and over again, we are not a charity, this is our work! I can understand a client being unhappy, frustrated, dissatisfied etc but court action? Hello!?!
Don't let her intimidate you, it's not as straightforward as she is making it out to be, Trading Standards have other, bigger fish to fry and would probably laugh at her if she complained to them.
I have been threatened by clients with TS (seems to be a new trend amongst them), their brothers and mothers, their husbands, strangely enough never their dogs...this is just an illustration of how people are going to try and get something for free, happy to stoop to the lowest level in forfeiture of all dignity.
Agree!!! Their dogs ? Oh dear !!

she is pulling the fast one, dont let her to bully you

Geeg is good at advise like this, she has an advise thread you may wish to try I'll try finding the link for you, but I believe as she has written to you, you are best responding by letter so all is in black and white, keep a copy and keep her letter.

Speak to your insurer and get their advise! Speak to trading standards and get theirs too, they work for both businesses and consumers.

I would add the key points in there including dates i.e.

Dear ...., I am writing to you in response to your letter received [date] informing me/us you are looking to take legal action following the services you have received.

Following your consultation [date] we agreed that cold fusion would be most suitable for your hair and commenced with fitting [date] unfortunately you [method of contact] to advise a couple had come loose, and we arranged for you to return to have them replaced and investigate reasons for their slippage. During this conversation you admitted to picking at them causing them to loosen and fall out so even though the method chosen was fitted correctly as a gesture of goodwill i offered to replace and apply free of charge [new method, weave?] which you were ecstatic with the results and I have in writing how happy you were following this service (was it she text you to say how happy she was?).

You have stated you have been to another salon/extensionist, to have these corrected and wish for your money back, without explaining exactly what you feel was the issue, allowing me to assess and investigate what may have caused the unsaid issue I will not be refunding you. I have spoken to my insurers and a number of resources and are following their professional advise, I would have preferred to speak to you in person, however i would also like to inform should you decide 'bad mouth' my work as you have threatened I will be forced to take legal action against yourself.

I would have hoped we could have resolved this in a much nicer manner.

Those kind of points, but make sure you speak to your insurance to get their advise and follow it. Don't give her anything else, you have already done more than enough.... Plus being pedantic she is asking for a refund on a free service... Send her a cheque for £0.00

Agree with Nic

I am also in the hair extension industry, I have come across a client like this, she will not take you to court they only say this to scare you so they can get what they want! It sounds to me that she may have financial difficulties and wants a set if extensions for free. Now takin someone to court costs, I doubt she'll pay all of those costs if she clearly isn't happy to pay for a set of extensions. Even if she does bad mouth you if you have 50 regular happy clients not many people will listen to one client that claims to have a bad experience. I had to learn the hard way I too had a client complain from micro beads slipping, I kept re installing them for her even though I know my work was good and I re checked it over and over. Eventually I gave up and told her that she is in the wrong, she then made up a new excuse Saying the hair I supplied her with was "synthetic" and demanded a refund. I wanted nothing to do with her I gave her a refund and then when I had a new method she asked me if she can get a full head installed I kindly advised her that I was fully booked for the next 6 months and never saw her again! The moral of the story is you really never know what to expect from people, my lesson I've learnt is to never jump into a job when you're home based. When it's a located salon clients do this less but not saying try don't buy you do get this less. But as soon as they see that you work from home I've found that they take you as an advantage. Be nice but firm, don't fix something for nothing if its not your fault, good luck.

If someone sounds like they're going to pull excuses I don't do their hair in the first place, I can kind of tell which clients to stay away from now. I think of it like this, I'm not dying for that money they're going to pay me I'd rather happily do other clients that appreciate me and my work instead of having 100 clients a week that will pull excuses every now and then!

Really good advice. I've never had someone try this but have a regular who does her best to try and get a free service...asked me to come round to trim her extensions and while I'm there tries to get me to do extra free work..be it pop in a few more of her left over extensions s or pull a few loose ones up....I feel you have done more than enough and the question is why would she suddenly go elsewhere after coming to you before hand allowing you to put a weave in and then have further problems...I'd write the letter and include all that's been advised, you won't hear anything more from her that's for sure. There seems to be a growing trend of people threatening legal action...especially to us mobile technicians...maybe they feel we are more likely to cave in. Once you've sent the letter ignore any further communication from her as she will probably try by text or to write back if she has the cheek, just ignore. Your under no liability to reply to her, if she chooses to take it further then you can respond to her small claim and go forward from there but its highly unlikely to get to that. It's just a word clients seem to like to throw about

Really good advice. I've never had someone try this but have a regular who does her best to try and get a free service...asked me to come round to trim her extensions and while I'm there tries to get me to do extra free work..be it pop in a few more of her left over extensions s or pull a few loose ones up....I feel you have done more than enough and the question is why would she suddenly go elsewhere after coming to you before hand allowing you to put a weave in and then have further problems...I'd write the letter and include all that's been advised, you won't hear anything more from her that's for sure. There seems to be a growing trend of people threatening legal action...especially to us mobile technicians...maybe they feel we are more likely to cave in. Once you've sent the letter ignore any further communication from her as she will probably try by text or to write back if she has the cheek, just ignore. Your under no liability to reply to her, if she chooses to take it further then you can respond to her small claim and go forward from there but its highly unlikely to get to that. It's just a word clients seem to like to throw about

Totally agree, some clients feel they can manipulate mobile Hair Technicians which is totally unfair, we only want to make a wage like everyone else.:)

I have sent her a reply today stating I feel I've done all I can to satisfy her and I've sent copies of her text messages saying how happy she is with her hair! So will see what response I get if any! Thanks for all your supportive advise xx

shes trying to bully you and take advantage i hate bullys i wouldnt worry too much about it going to court etc it never will and the fact she went to another hairdresser without giving you the opportunity to fix it would probably negate any claim she would have. the only damage she could do is bad mouth you and no matter how hard you try your always going to get one or two people not entirely happy it wouldnt put me off using a company to hear one or two bad reviews but if there was a number of complaints then i would pay attention. everyone knows you cant please everyone and can get a difficult customer. let us know if anything more happens

Latest posts

Back