Hair extensions aftercare or quality problem?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rowjam

Reaction score
I had Beauty Works 18 inch weft extensions fitted 3 weeks ago. They were amazing for 2 weeks but I'm having some problems now with breakage and the hair is starting to look strange. The hair feels very dry and without frequent brushing it has started to look like ropes. It's tangling easily and needs brushing frequently to look normal. They are quite long extensions (I fell in love and couldn't bare to have much taken off). To add insult to injury you can now see a noticeable difference between the texture of my own hair and the extensions. They were previously completely indistinguishable from my own naturally wavy hair.
I've been scrupulous with my aftercare: avoid SLS, plait before bedtime, argan oil daily, no brushing them when wet, no hairdryer, almond oil once a week, special soft brush, washing every other day/two days, no products except Kerstase elixir and pure argan oil and a small amount of batiste on my fringe and behind my ears as I'm quite greasy. I straightened them once with an Asavea brush last weekend. Could that have done this? The hair was dry and I used lots of heat protector.
Is there anything else I should be doing? Am I doing something wrong? Is there a problem with the extensions.

Are you letting it dry naturally then?

Hi, rowjam, can I ask, do you use a different shampoo and conditioner for your natural hair? I know it sounds a strange thing to ask but you would be surprised how many people use two different shampoos and conditioners to wash their hair.

Are you letting it dry naturally then?
Yes.I thought you were supposed to let them dry naturally to avoid heat styling. It takes hours but my own hair dries wavy that way, which nicely matches the extensions (until recently).

Yes.I thought you were supposed to let them dry naturally to avoid heat styling. It takes hours but my own hair dries wavy that way, which nicely matches the extensions (until recently).
What kind of fitting is the weave? I always got told never to let it dry naturally when I had mine in as it would cause matting? I don't do them myself so I couldn't tell you wether you should or shouldn't but that's what my extensionist told me to do

Hi, rowjam, can I ask, do you use a different shampoo and conditioner for your natural hair? I know it sounds a strange thing to ask but you would be surprised how many people use two different shampoos and conditioners to wash their hair.
I was considering this because my own hair has greasy roots and dry ends. I don't really shampoo the extensions as they haven't been dirty but I can't avoid getting them wet when I shampoo my own hair. I do condition them though. I was using Beauty Works shampoo and conditioner but I've just read the label and it's full of SLS so I've bought some Balmain products and a Balmain leave in conditioner for extensions.

I was considering this because my own hair has greasy roots and dry ends. I don't really shampoo the extensions as they haven't been dirty but I can't avoid getting them wet when I shampoo my own hair. I do condition them though. I was using Beauty Works shampoo and conditioner but I've just read the label and it's full of SLS so I've bought some Balmain products and a Balmain leave in conditioner for extensions.
So has this problem started since you stopped using the beauty works shampoo?

What kind of fitting is the weave? I always got told never to let it dry naturally when I had mine in as it would cause matting? I don't do them myself so I couldn't tell you wether you should or shouldn't but that's what my extensionist told me to do
I've attached a picture of the extensions below. The weft is woven into my hair with stitches. No glue, rings or beads just string. It's never become matted. The stylist blow dries her's but she didn't tell me not to let it air dry. I read here to dry it naturally http://www.virginhairandbeauty.com/pages/haircare

Attachments

• Weft_Extensions.jpg
    Weft_Extensions.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 170
I've attached a picture of the extensions below. The weft is woven into my hair with stitches. No glue, rings or beads just string. It's never become matted. The stylist blow dries her's but she didn't tell me not to let it air dry. I read here to dry it naturally http://www.virginhairandbeauty.com/pages/haircare
So it's a plaited weave? Is this your first time for having them? I'd speak to your extensionist but from personal use even if you've left the extensions to dry naturally you need to be drying the plait where it's sewn into!

So it's a plaited weave? Is this your first time for having them? I'd speak to your extensionist but from personal use even if you've left the extensions to dry naturally you need to be drying the plait where it's sewn into!
Yes this my first time. They didn't tell me what sort of weave it was. Oh no. I can't believe after all my research I could have made such a basic mistake. I'm going in to have them tightened and looked at on Saturday. Is there anything I can do to reverse the damage? How would you suggest drying them.

Yes this my first time. They didn't tell me what sort of weave it was. Oh no. I can't believe after all my research I could have made such a basic mistake. I'm going in to have them tightened and looked at on Saturday. Is there anything I can do to reverse the damage? How would you suggest drying them.
Did they plait your hair first and then sew the hair on to that?

What colour are they? Blondes are more prone to go drier quicker because of the process they have been through.

This is what I did for mine

Squeezed excess water out of them don't towel dry them
Sprayed with a leave in conditioner and brushed through with a wide tooth comb working from the ends up to the root
Heat protector spray/cream which ever I had at that time
Then I put oil through the ends
Sectioned it of I had 3 rows in so used to do it by row, blast them dry to take excess water out and make sure the root is completely dry, then I used my tangle teezer as like a blow drying brush till they was near enough dry to stop them getting notty or tangling up and then I would use a paddle brush to smooth them out. And then repeat for the next two rows and do the top section how I would do as normal.

I'm not saying that is correct but that's what worked for me

BW blondes are notorious for being a problem. If it went that bad after only 2 weeks it's a problem with the hair. I regularly let my extensions dry naturally regardless of fitting method with no problem. Even poor aftercare (which you haven't done) shouldn't wreck hair in 2 weeks. My weave clients who practice appalling after care still get 12 weeks.

Did they plait your hair first and then sew the hair on to that?

What colour are they? Blondes are more prone to go drier quicker because of the process they have been through.

This is what I did for mine

Squeezed excess water out of them don't towel dry them
Sprayed with a leave in conditioner and brushed through with a wide tooth comb working from the ends up to the root
Heat protector spray/cream which ever I had at that time
Then I put oil through the ends
Sectioned it of I had 3 rows in so used to do it by row, blast them dry to take excess water out and make sure the root is completely dry, then I used my tangle teezer as like a blow drying brush till they was near enough dry to stop them getting notty or tangling up and then I would use a paddle brush to smooth them out. And then repeat for the next two rows and do the top section how I would do as normal.

I'm not saying that is correct but that's what worked for me

That sounds like a good method.

Here are some photos to show you the weft and how it is attached. They called it a weave.

Attachments

• P_20160825_151748.jpg
    P_20160825_151748.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 186
  • P_20160825_152358.jpg
    P_20160825_152358.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_20160825_152514.jpg
    IMG_20160825_152514.jpg
    516 KB · Views: 158
I'll attached some pics when the hair is dry to show you what I mean by ropes.

I don't suppose Olaplex might help?

I've not personally used it as it wasn't around when i had my last set in hopefully someone else can help with that

BW blondes are notorious for being a problem. If it went that bad after only 2 weeks it's a problem with the hair. I regularly let my extensions dry naturally regardless of fitting method with no problem. Even poor aftercare (which you haven't done) shouldn't wreck hair in 2 weeks. My weave clients who practice appalling after care still get 12 weeks.

Sorry I've only just seen this. This backs up what my research over the last few days has also shown but I wasn't sure how big of an issue this was. If you search for "Problems with Beauty Works extensions" most of your results are going to be negative! I'm definitely getting them looked at. I just wanted to make sure I had all the right information before I went in. And also because I feel really bad complaining to the salon because it isn't their fault. They've been super helpful.

Sorry I've only just seen this. This backs up what my research over the last few days has also shown but I wasn't sure how big of an issue this was. If you search for "Problems with Beauty Works extensions" most of your results are going to be negative! I'm definitely getting them looked at. I just wanted to make sure I had all the right information before I went in. And also because I feel really bad complaining to the salon because it isn't their fault. They've been super helpful.
Beauty works are having a lot of complaints recently so hopefully they will be able to do something about it for you x

Latest posts

Back