Hair extensions and psoriasis

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RayneBow

Reaction score
So I fitted a lady 2 months ago. She wrote on the consultation that she has suffered psoriasis in the past and had extensions before.
Her scalp looked healthy and normal and I went ahead with no issues.

She emails me to tell me that the extensions have brought her psoriasis out and that it's now all over her body. Her scalp apparently is itchy but her legs are worse.

Has anyone heard of this before? Can psoriasis get triggered and affect other parts of the body?

She's coming later for me to remove them, but I want to learn why this had happened. Does anyone have any experience??
Thanks!

Was it micro rings? X

Hi ya. I've not had hair extensions before but I do have psoriasis. Psoriasis can be triggered by all sorts of things. Certain "products" can cause a flare up but usually for me that would be in an isolated area. Gluten in my diet will cause a full body flare up, as can some throat infections and stress. Psoriasis is a funny old skin condition and I even I struggle to understand it as the causes/treatment/appearance can vary from person to person xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

My dad has psoriasis and anything can make it flare up (for him), sometimes new clothing makes it flare up and etc.
Personally, I wouldn't of fitted them but what's done is done.
I would think that hair extensions and psoriasis wouldn't go well together especially micro rings because I find that micro rings make you a little itchy when they're first fitted and I can't imagine what it would be like for somebody that gets it

I have psoriasis and extensions in. Mine flares up due to another medical condition. It's flared up again I have treated it with medicated shampoo just on the effected area and shampoo the rest of my hair as normal :) what my doctors told me to do xx

First. Extensions create tension on the hair and follicles that will cause skin conditions to flare up as blood is rushing to ease the stress. Second, extension hair is heavily treated with harsh chemicals that easily bring on reactions from skin conditions or allergies. They probably should not have been applied to this client... Or she should have been made to sign an agreement that you are not responsible for allergic reactions.

First. Extensions create tension on the hair and follicles that will cause skin conditions to flare up as blood is rushing to ease the stress. Second, extension hair is heavily treated with harsh chemicals that easily bring on reactions from skin conditions or allergies. They probably should not have been applied to this client... Or she should have been made to sign an agreement that you are not responsible for allergic reactions.

Psoriasis is a problem with the immune system which creates signals for your body to create new skin cells quicker which goes to the surface of the area causing the 'silver' flakey hard skin. Hair extensions wouldn't cause psoriasis. If she had an allergic reaction this could cause for it to appear to be psoriasis but it isn't. (Words from my doctor) if she has previously had psoriasis she is likely to keep flaring up. So unless it's an allergic reaction the extensions haven't caused it.

Yes its auto immune, you can only treat the symptoms not the cause, most people will never find out the cause/causes ot there psoriasis

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes she signed a consultation/consent form. I also applied a test strand extension with no reaction. Shed had extensions before with no reaction. She hadnt had a flare up in years so I felt fine aboit applying. Obviously now this has happened im keen not to repeat, so do you think I should refuse to do somekne with psoriasis?

Sent from my GT-P5110 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes she signed a consultation/consent form. I also applied a test strand extension with no reaction. Shed had extensions before with no reaction. She hadnt had a flare up in years so I felt fine aboit applying. Obviously now this has happened im keen not to repeat, so do you think I should refuse to do somekne with psoriasis?

Sent from my GT-P5110 using SalonGeek mobile app

I had a girl ask me who's got psoriasis at the moment I had to say no cause she also wanted micro rings and it was flaring up as she was enquiring. X

Good reply. I have psoriasis and i googled this conversation. If you have scalp-psoriasis, I ought that the main thing with extencions are that scalp “can’t breathe” because hairs are folded - so skin begings “folding” underneath.
Second thing is: for a many years there were beliefs that psoriatic people aren’t possible to have severe skin-allergies to cosmetic substances, BUT THATS PROVEN NOT TRUE. If no other but in my case! So be careful, loose your standards, and be beautiful in other ways, psoriatic people.

Latest posts

Back