Hair Extensions Cutting Course

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missfit

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good hair extensions cutting course.

I am a qualified hairdresser and qualified in hair extensions but I'm not confident with layering extension hair as I was given no training at all from my trainer "because I was a hairdresser and didn't need it"

I didn't think much of it at the time but over the last few months have become less confident with the cutting as it's very evident they require a different approach.

I obviously understand the basics but woudl like to be better and I guess more adventourous with the layering so any advice on courses or techniques would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I'm not aware of any - the course i did took us right through the cutting and blending and i was told that as a hairdresser all "usual" cutting rules were to go out of the window, and was shown along with the rest of the group the cutting and blending techniques re; sectioning to cut as extensions are cut by sight. Although at the time i thought this was slightly strange I'm very glad that the trainer never took for granted that I "knew" everything!! Who did you train with, have you tried contacting them for further support?

I agree with snazzyz, try getting back in touch with your trainer and tell them you'd like some help or a refresher. If you have already contacted them, hound them until they help you!

I trained with KM, and Kyle made a big song and dance about getting back in touch if we needed help, he even has a support line. We all also have the option to go and sit in on as many training sessions as we like in the future.

Ironically i did call them back and they told me they had an online tutorial I could look at but it doesn't really show me anything about cutting and blending.

I was thinking that I might train up in another technique and that will encompass the cutting and blending.

I'm trained in rings, bonded and shrinkies. Any ideas of what else I should look at based on your experience and what appears to be popular.

Also I looked at KM are they any good?

Thanks Ladies

Did you tell them that you were particularly struggling in that one particular area. EHE I trained with Lush-Us Uk and they also offer the same service to go back at any point in time if required - You can't say fairer than that can you?

Hi
Cinderella offer a hair extension cutting course it used to be £199 plus vat its really good. Also a company called Train Me Beauty offer one aswell, I suppose it depends in the country where you are and how much your budget is for a Hair extension cutting course.

Yeah I would definitely recommend KM. Very friendly and relaxed course but also very informative. There's a lot of opportunity for one on one time with the trainers, and as they train multiple methods at once (ie several girls learning different techniques on the same course) there is a lot of scope for hearing lots of different questions etc.

Hi I would recommend KM too - they actually came over to my house at 8pm one saturday because I'd not been advised a course had been moved and I'd arranged childcare etc If you are not sure of anything they are happy to go over and over it until you are happy :)
Sarah

Hiya,
I also trained with KM and for the most part I'd say I'm really happy with what I got from the course. Kyle is very relaxed and I now feel I'm a very competent and confident extensionist. However, I personally feel that the one thing that let KM's training down was the lack of detailed cutting training. All I was taught is how to trim the ends and blend down the hair with a 70's inspired razor comb! No mention of all the different layering techniques that I think are so important to finishing a fab set of extensions. S

o, I'm now in the same boat as you hun, looking for a decent extension cutting course! Best of luck with everything :lol: xxx

I have to agree I think the cutting elements are so basic and for me it's the one area I'm not happy with.

I did one to one training as well but at the time didn't think much of the lack of cutting discussed because I just assumed that the same rules would apply.

I think with the number of un-qualified extensionists in the market currently its the cutting and blending that really sets people apart.

I think i do ok but would like to know as much as I can and be the best i can!!!

I'll keep searching and have emailed cinderella re their course but London's a fair trek for me so would ideally like something closer to home.

Thanks for your advice ladies!!!

Hi Ladies,

I just came across your cutting thread and i am basically in the same boat. I got taught a quick how to cut the ends and razor to blend but Im looking to create fab, lush layers. Iv considered taking up hairdressing just so i can master cutting! but iv heard that cutting normal hair is different to extension hair!!?? Although some of my clients do go to hairdressers for them styling properly and they have no kinowledge of extensions. Did any of you find a cutting course or anymore info?

Thanks Alot x

Hiya,
I also trained with KM and for the most part I'd say I'm really happy with what I got from the course. Kyle is very relaxed and I now feel I'm a very competent and confident extensionist. However, I personally feel that the one thing that let KM's training down was the lack of detailed cutting training. All I was taught is how to trim the ends and blend down the hair with a 70's inspired razor comb! No mention of all the different layering techniques that I think are so important to finishing a fab set of extensions. S

o, I'm now in the same boat as you hun, looking for a decent extension cutting course! Best of luck with everything :lol: xxx

I totally agree with you!have done me course with KM hair extensions,heres my review..it was held in the back of a pub in palmers green (innkeepers lodge in southgate) and even though the trainer was really nice, i just felt like i came away from the course feeling unsure in certain areas especially, highlighting/cutting/blending and how to do a half head.i did email through to try and attend another course but they didnt reply:( we worked on dolls heads and learned fusion bonding and micro rings and micro ring weft(which i have since forgotten):Scared:.I am now booked onto another course as i felt quite disappointed with the training i received that day.a positive for the course would be the sectioning was good and kyle martin was lovely.we were given a green tinkle razor comb whch i felt wasnt taught how to blend with it enough at allx

Shame I dont have teaching quals, sounds like there is a big market for teaching hairdressers how to cut ext correctly!
There is no way I could teach a non hairdresser how to cut ext tho, that would be way too difficult.

I agree persianista, I'm a qualified hairdresser and I still don't feel 100% confident with cutting extensions, so how a non qualified person can feel confident after a days training is a mystery to me.

From looking at other threads I think my training was awful to be fair and the best thing I can do is re-train as there just isn't any cutting only courses out there :mad:

seems from all the other comments on this thread that most of the negatives about all training companies are in the cutting/blending part of the training. Because of this thread i too have also contacted cinderella and it seems they don't run the cutting course anymore so i've got back in touch with the company I trained with, they're introducing a one day course to cover this only. I've put my name down for this course (for CPD hours really - and interest) as I did feel happy with the training I received, but one thing I have noticed is that I trained in a group situation so I got to see/practice on a number of clients not just my own, not sure if this has made a difference. I too am a qualified hairdresser and although the cutting fundamentals are different from the natural hair, for me, a lot of it comes with practice and confidence. Hope you all find the extra training you require xx

Yeah I had to seek extra training as well as there are special techniques for cutting extensions like how to blend blunt lines and proper layering to make it look as natural as possible. It is not just like cutting normal hair and many special techniques apply and the training courses only touch on the subject for like 5 minutes and this is what sets the professionals apart from the rest as these go out and apply extensions and don't finish the job properly by blending them and I see so many bad extensions that just look unnatural and lots of it is due to lack of blending and proper layering to get rid of the line where the hair Meets the extensions. Can't believe they are letting people cut hair after 5 minutes if they never done it before. I definitely did not feel confident and sought further education.

Would you mind me asking where you went for the additional cutting training Extensionist? I wouldn't say I do a bad job by any means at the moment and I've spent so long over the past year researching, practising and improving my cutting & blending techniques but I would love some more professional input on this subject. I've contacted Cinderella and sadly had no joy with them and there's nothing else coming up that looks suitable when Googled. :sad:

I completely agree with you that it's what sets good extensionists apart from the rest and I, like you it seems, always strive to provide my clients with the best extensions possible. Quite sad that there seems to be plenty of courses willing to take your money for training but don't follow through with the all important finishing side of the job - even if this is just the opportunity to attend a longer course if it's not something that can be taught in a short amount of time.

I tried cinderalla re their course but they didn't even get back to me.

Lush Us have told me they are launching a 1 day course purely for cutting and blending so that might be worth trying!!

I tried cinderalla re their course but they didn't even get back to me.

Lush Us have told me they are launching a 1 day course purely for cutting and blending so that might be worth trying!!

the details are now on their website about the cutting course xx

I can't see anything about a cutting course on the site? Wanted to have a nose :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back