Hair extensions deposits

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlene1983

Reaction score
does everyone use a credit card for ordering hair extensions....
what im struggling with is asking for a deposit that covers the cost of the hair but without sounding like your asking for too much.
sometimes my deposit does not cover the cost of my hair as im afraid a large deposit puts clients off, but this leaves me pulling out my own pocket for the hair and leaving me short. i know you make the money back at the extension fitting but what if there is like a week inbetween.....
am i just being silly and missing something here!

what does everyone else do?

I find exactly the same thing and not
Sure what to do. I do 50% deposit. I know what you mean sometimes it's just say £20 less than what you need but it can make you short for that week can't it

its especially hard if you are quiet and dont have the spare cash around to make up the difference between the cost of the hair and the deposit.
it seems silly to the client to be paying the majority of their total at the consultation doesnt it
ive seen girls in my are say they are only taking a "small" deposit that secures the booking and im wondering how this works?

if anyone can shed some more light on this.....

I always take £50 deposit and then use my credit card to pay for hair then pay it off monthly. I keep doin balance transfers to different card companys though so i never have to actually pay any interest lol!

I always get 50% of what the whole service costs.

Last edited:
a 50% deposit doesn't surely cover the cost to buy the hair though. I was starting to look into making my own pre bonded strNds from wefts for this exCt reason.
it's expensive to cover the hair cost out of your own pocket x

50% should cover the cost of the hair!

making your own out of wefts is not a good idea... ive had a cliet say they went thin really quickly x

I take to cover the hair, I think if they are financially able to get them done they won't mind paying the deposit, they are paying the full price one way or another x

maybe I'm not charging differently as 50% does not cover the cost of the hair.
I find the hair costs more than I charge to fit them?
did you make your own stick tips or nail tips? Ive heard the foxy glue granules are really good.

Golden rule for me is to take a deposit that covers the cost of the hair.
If clients are willing to pay the price for extensions,they dont quibble paying a deposit of half to cover it.
If they dont have the deposit there and then,they get told that as soon as they pay it i will order the hair and book them in for the service.
I was always under the impression that extensions are not returnable once packaging opened or hair is prepared so if you dont cover cost,your left with hair that could be sitting around untill you have a client the same colouring and thats profit sat there.
x

so is everyone saying that whatever the hair costs to buy they charge the same amount to fit it?
I have been charging 70 to fit a full head and less to fit a half head.....
is this where I am going wrong?

so is everyone saying that whatever the hair costs to buy they charge the same amount to fit it?
I have been charging 70 to fit a full head and less to fit a half head.....
is this where I am going wrong?
Id say def where your going wrong.
For £70 how long does it take you to fit?
My rules always been cost of hair plus same again for fitting,cutting,after care.
How long have you been doing it and are you mobile or in salon?
x

I'm mobile- full head takes me 2.5 to 3 hours and this is what I was charging the £70 for and for half head obviously less.
The area I am
in girls charge less than me so I started cutting down the profit I got for the actual fittings I figured a few fittings with less profit is better than weeks with no profit at all but obviously asking a larger deposit than the amount payable in fitting would look odd to clients.
does everyone double the hair cost as their total
cost?

I always take enough deposit to cover their installation, they pay me through an invoice that I create through PayPal sent to their email address and this gives them the option to pay by debit or credit card. Once I receive their payment, I order and pay with PayPal. Really easy and never out of pocket! :)

that's interesting janie I never even thought about paypal. do you mention this to them during consultation?

I'm mobile- full head takes me 2.5 to 3 hours and this is what I was charging the £70 for and for half head obviously less.
The area I am
in girls charge less than me so I started cutting down the profit I got for the actual fittings I figured a few fittings with less profit is better than weeks with no profit at all but obviously asking a larger deposit than the amount payable in fitting would look odd to clients.
does everyone double the hair cost as their total
cost?

Is the £70 just for the fitting? Or does that include the hair?

I always take deposit of what the hair costs. Then £40 an hour to install it.

£70 for the fitting on top of what the hair costs me. I feel that if i double the cost of the hair then the price is to high.

ive just had a customer wanting extra hair put in (i fitter her a full head of 20") and i told her it would cost £45 total including fitting and she thought that was too expensive and said she was going else where and id lost a customer!!!!

I was only charging her £15 to fit it!

i must just be finding customer who want alot for nothing.....

Hi Charlene, yes most people have an email address that's all that is needed. I explain how this method of payment works at consultation and that if they would like to go ahead with the installation, I will then send them an invoice for half of the full service as deposit. I have found that sometimes clients seem ok with price, say they want to go ahead but when I send an invoice I never hear back even after texting to see if there's any problem or decision not to have them done. At least in these cases it's only my time wasted and not my cash!

Anyone else have a lot of time wasters? Could be competion checking my prices and methods of installation offered? Just not getting back to you either way is frustrating.

when i trained we were told what ever the cost of the hair you double to fit! i take 50% which covers the cost of the hair then when i fit the rest is mine to keep :) if they want a good job then they have to pay for it they cant expect a perfect job and gorgeous hair and pay you bog all for doing it x

Hi Charlene, yes most people have an email address that's all that is needed. I explain how this method of payment works at consultation and that if they would like to go ahead with the installation, I will then send them an invoice for half of the full service as deposit. I have found that sometimes clients seem ok with price, say they want to go ahead but when I send an invoice I never hear back even after texting to see if there's any problem or decision not to have them done. At least in these cases it's only my time wasted and not my cash!

Anyone else have a lot of time wasters? Could be competion checking my prices and methods of installation offered? Just not getting back to you either way is frustrating.

I've had quite a few that ask me for prices and questions about the hair and methods etc.

So I tell them and explain this and that and never here back from them. Think they might think the price is expensive compared to other extensionists charging £150 for a full head of 20" bonds/micro rings in the area I try and explain to them that this is cheap nasty hair and it won't last many washes.

Oh well lol x

Latest posts

Back