Hair extensions disaster - I'm so annoyed at myself!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lady_mai

Reaction score
OK so i thought that dark, shoulder length hair or longer is an easy fit? not much blending required. So i came along to my client this eve to find it a nightmare! She hair 1B hair just below shoulders but i could not for the life of me blend it (using micro rings)! The only thing i can think of is she had just had it cut and it was extremely blunt! The line would not shift. I spent so much time on it but when i left i felt rubbish and extremely dissapointed!
How is this avoided? Would this have been down to the cut? Do you advise clients not to cut prior to extension fitting?
Iv done this for about a yr half with weekly clients but this has really knocked me for six :| ... any advise/help would be so much appreciated! xx

Are you a qualified hairdresser too or do you just it extensions?x

Do you soften blunt edges first? This can be done with texturising scissors, point cutting or razor ing xx

This happened to me once. The client had cut her hair just before her extensions were to be fitted and it was really blunt compared to when I saw her at consultation.
I don't cut the extensions apart from a trim so I send them to their hairdressers and they blend them in. She did a really good job and they looked fine in the end. Maybe suggest that to your client next time Hun? Xx

Hey! no im not a hairdresser loopy and i definately agree this is a big downfall! Im attending a hair extension cutting course next month so im hoping this may help a bit! i would definately do a hairdressing course if they did then withouth all the colouring ect but i dont think they do? I dont like to send them to the hairdressers as it feels like im half doing a job. Usually im fine with blending but this time was a real challenge!
Maybe i should of thinned out the ends then before fitting. Although i dont feel like im allowed to properly touch their own hair if im not qualified? :cry: x

Yeah im the same, not qualified in hairdressing.i hate having to send them elsewhere. Who are you doing your cutting course with? I realy want to go on one so could you let me know how it goes please?x

Hey! no im not a hairdresser loopy and i definately agree this is a big downfall! Im attending a hair extension cutting course next month so im hoping this may help a bit! i would definately do a hairdressing course if they did then withouth all the colouring ect but i dont think they do? I dont like to send them to the hairdressers as it feels like im half doing a job. Usually im fine with blending but this time was a real challenge!
Maybe i should of thinned out the ends then before fitting. Although i dont feel like im allowed to properly touch their own hair if im not qualified? :cry: x

You won't be insured to cut their own hair if you aren't a hairdresser. Personally I'd rather leave the cutting to the experts. x

Yes will let you know how it goes, its with Lush Us. Apparently they will teach you how to create inverted Bobs ect..so i am looking froward to it. I am seriously contemplating becoming a hairdresser but its such a waste of money in the sense that im not bothered about dyeing hair or anything just the cutting side of things! hmmm x

Yes will let you know how it goes, its with Lush Us. Apparently they will teach you how to create inverted Bobs ect..so i am looking froward to it. I am seriously contemplating becoming a hairdresser but its such a waste of money in the sense that im not bothered about dyeing hair or anything just the cutting side of things! hmmm x
I just done a cutting and blending course with fast track hairdressing for hair extensions x

How did you find it Billie? xx

Brilliant I'm a beauty therapist so not a hair dresser. I was going to do the lush us course only reason I didn't was because fast track was slot nearer me x

You need to point cut the line first or use thinning scissors just on the very ends other wise you will see the blunt line through.

Thanks Charlotte, really appreciate this :) xx

Please don't cut someones natural hair.
1.you're not qualified too
2. Slightly cutting it might make the extensions sit better but once there out the client is left with co uneven cut.

Hi.
Maybe for future reference when your carrying out a consultation with a clent keep in mind that the blunter and sharper the cut,the harder it will be to blend.
The secret to great hair extensions is that nobody notices them,so if you start with a soft cut it will blend perfectly as long as youve added enough hair.
How many bonds did you fit and how far up did you place them?
Did you blend more than 1 extension colour together?
I very rarely use just 1 colour as i find adding an extra tone will make the hair look even more natural/blended.
x

Hair extension cutting courses are held in my salon, the hairdresser who rents a chair is a tutor and an assessor and is excellent, we have run some already and have had great feedback.

Hi crazy, I used between 150-200 bonds of 1b. I did consider another colour adding but the next colour down was #2 and this really stood out against her natural hair. She was quite a standard 1b. What would you have blended it with in this case?
Lancashire these classes sound brilliant but I'm dead cautious now about cutting as some ppl have said im not a hairdresser.if I did these courses does it mean I'm qualified to just cut the extension bit. x

I am not a hairdresser but my qualification with Lush-Us included how to blend the hair on blunt cuts by softening the lines by way of chipping into it. I don't take a massive amount of the clients hair off and would never atempt to restyle their hair. I do make sure to advise them that any cut between consultation and fitting should not be a statement cut and my consultation forms are only valid for 14 days xx

Thanks Britton this is such a great help! il definately do the lush course then. :) every little helps for sure! xx

Latest posts

Back