Hair extensions, do I need an extra qualification!?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmmaJaanexo

Reaction score
I'm level 2 qualified in Hairdressing and currently doing my level 3. I've wanted to train in hair extensions so I bought a few bits & pieces to practise with on a mannequin and I find it really easy following YouTube tutorials.

My question is, do I need a seperate qualification in hair extensions to be able to offer them? For insurance purposes? I'll happily do a course if I have to I just don't want to waste the money doing a day course if I don't actually need it :)

I'm level 2 qualified in Hairdressing and currently doing my level 3. I've wanted to train in hair extensions so I bought a few bits & pieces to practise with on a mannequin and I find it really easy following YouTube tutorials.

My question is, do I need a seperate qualification in hair extensions to be able to offer them? For insurance purposes? I'll happily do a course if I have to I just don't want to waste the money doing a day course if I don't actually need it :)
Yes you do. It's not just about fitting the extensions it's about sectioning, contraindications and consultation too.
Plus most importantly insurance

Good luck x

Check with your current insurer.
Some 1 day courses are only accredited by specific insurance companies and so might not be accepted by your current insurer. You’d also be limited for insurance provision in the future.
As you’re a qualified hairdresser you’d be better off looking for a course with Habia accreditation. Habia will only accredit hair extension courses limited to qualified hairdressers (as part of your Continuing Professional Development). They might cost a little more but they’d be universally recognised, same as a VRQ/NVQ etc.

When investing in training, always think about the potential longer term benefits.

I wouldn’t want someone who isn’t trained in doing them or who isn’t insured to do mine, I wouldn’t trust it. Training means everything

Jumping in from beauty not hair, but somethings been bugging me for a while & @AcidPerm you might know the answer :)

Can you hold insurance with 2 companies at the same time? So say half your treatments are covered by one insurer & the rest of your treatments covered by someone else? Xx

Jumping in from beauty not hair, but somethings been bugging me for a while & @AcidPerm you might know the answer :)
Can you hold insurance with 2 companies at the same time? So say half your treatments are covered by one insurer & the rest of your treatments covered by someone else? Xx

Yes of course, but I wouldn’t recommend it.
What if you need to make a claim that isn’t directly related to a specific treatment?
Supposing your client trips over your storage bag and wants to claim for loss of earnings whilst her ankle is in plaster....who will you claim from?
I’d be wary that you could get stuck into insurance ping pong between the two companies.

Fabby, thank you :)
Its always been one of those things I wonder lol xx

Thanks for the replies! I've decided to go for the course, I'm more than happy to invest in my future. I'll definitely look for a HABIA course that's a great tip x

Latest posts

Back