Hair Extensions Drying Out

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jo Jo

Reaction score
Hi there, I've had Balmain extensions fitted twice now at reputable salons in Manchester and both times they have dried out and gone wirey after just one wash, I am using the correct shampoo and conditioner and have even tried more intensive moisturisation but I just cannot get them to look anything but frizzy. I wash them at night and let them dry naturally and only straighten them if I have to, please someone tell me what I am doing wrong??! Am I expecting too much? do hair extensions just not stay silky?

Jo x

Hi there, I've had Balmain extensions fitted twice now at reputable salons in Manchester and both times they have dried out and gone wirey after just one wash, I am using the correct shampoo and conditioner and have even tried more intensive moisturisation but I just cannot get them to look anything but frizzy. I wash them at night and let them dry naturally and only straighten them if I have to, please someone tell me what I am doing wrong??! Am I expecting too much? do hair extensions just not stay silky?

Jo x

Hi Jo Jo, I dont think you are expecting too much at all
and personally I dont think you are doing anything wrong
as you should be able to treat any good quality hair extensions
just like your own hair,
but also following the reccomended products and aftercare advice
(which you are doing )
and although everyone may not agree but....

If some of the hair has been placed in the bonds (at the factory) the wrong way around it will just get worse,

in the past I have had to replace poor quality hair extensions because of the same thing ,
they also followed the after care programmes to the letter ,

I find with some hair
during the factory process the hair isnt always root to tip correct
so they chemically process it in acid baths
to try and remove all the cuticles
this then damages the hair
so then they have to try and restore it again
with a silicone layer to try and cover any rough cuticles of the upside down hair
so that it wont interlock,

but the problem is that it doesnt get rid of all those cuticles

and once the silicone coating wears or washes off
then the cuticles that are still left on start rub up together and will become matted and interlock,

if you could examine this type of hair under a powerful microscope you would see it resembled something like a damaged open pine cone

just imagine putting two pine cones like this together and turning one upside down ,
(thats the best way I can explain it)
they would interlock ,

You would be far better having hair extensions that have not been processed in any way and are root to tip correct,
any good quality hair extensions
should act and feel just like your own hair and be soft and silky
and also be re usable for at least two or more times ,

you must have paid a lot
to have these hair extensions put in

therefore
I would go back to the salon and ask them what they can do for you , as this really shouldnt be happening so soon ,

this is just my own opinion

and other extensionists
may also like to add what they think may be happening also :)

please let us know how you go on :hug:

Thanks so much, after the first set of extensions I called the salon who said they'd never had any problems with the brand and they couldn't do anything about it (nice!). The second salon said if I am using the recommended products, which I am, then there is nothing they can do either. I'm thinking Balmain are just not a good product at least for me anyway, I've seen the packets they come in so know they were not fibbing about what they use, I think it's time to try and find a salon in Manchester who does a better quality extension, would you believe the chap in Manchester known as Mr Extensions uses Balmain!! AGGHHH!

So, can anyone recommend a good extension salon? price isn't too much of an issue.

Thank you
Jo x

Thanks so much, after the first set of extensions I called the salon who said they'd never had any problems with the brand and they couldn't do anything about it (nice!). The second salon said if I am using the recommended products, which I am, then there is nothing they can do either. I'm thinking Balmain are just not a good product at least for me anyway, I've seen the packets they come in so know they were not fibbing about what they use, I think it's time to try and find a salon in Manchester who does a better quality extension, would you believe the chap in Manchester known as Mr Extensions uses Balmain!! AGGHHH!

So, can anyone recommend a good extension salon? price isn't too much of an issue.

Thank you
Jo x

I never really got on with that brand of hair either ,
especially the single strand extensions
which come in packs of twelve ,

The reason why that they are not helpful is that when you signed up for your hair extensions
you may have been asked to signed a Waiver form with all the other forms

in my opinion
a Waiver is a legal document and to sign it is like signing away any legal rights you may have ,
therefore the company is not not liable for anything that goes wrong with the hair anymore,
and they have no obligation to do anything for you
or for the salon who uses their hair and their waiver ,

I have heard of some extensionists on here that did get some help from them,
I myself never got any help from them on behalf of my own customers
so I stopped using them,

(I must admit they do really fabulous top notch training though)
and their micro bonds are fab too , and have super lasting power , :)

I would say to anyone that if a salon ever asks you to sign a waiver form
before they perform any salon service ,
then alarm bells should start ringing
as there must be some under lying risks involved for them to ask anyone to do this,
walk away, and dont sign such document,

it doesnt matter how well you treat your hair,

because if you signed such a waiver form?
legally they dont have to do a thing ,

I am so sorry about your bad experience that you have had :hug:

Why dont you try one of us on here some of us have salons and some of us are mobile ,
I know Lancsashirelass does fab extensions with celebrity elite bohyme hair and so does niceylou ,

and I am sure that there are others that are quite near to you too ,

I think I am a bit too far away for you
but if you need anymore more help please ask :hug:

HI hun, I agree totally with whats been said already!

I really dont like that brand of hair at all, ive never had a good batch!

I think you are doing everything that could be expected of you as a client, I would go back to them and demand they do something as this hair really is not right.

I would be more than happy to help you out with this if i possibly can..?

Give me a pm.

I know its stressful for you at the min but believe me all extension hair is not like this, and not all extensionist use rubbish products:green:

lou xx

hi there im an hair extensionist in dorset, i would advise you try a different shampoo and conditioner and sum can dry out your extension, this varies from person to person. as its not working try and different brand

Latest posts

Back