Hair extensions - help starting up business!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniellexsmith

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I’m new here!
I’ve just completed a hair extension course for microloop and nano rings. I want to start up in self employment but don’t know how to go about it!
I currently work 20 hours a week in a bar and my wages get topped off with universal credit as I have a young son. I want to go self employed as I want to be able to work around my self, ideally from home with a room dedicated for hair or mobile or even renting w chair if anyone has any info on that. Basically all my questions are outlined below! ANY help would be appreciated!

- could I still work part time (I don’t earn enough to pay tax) whilst starting up?
- if I work for myself part time would it affect my universal credit?
- do I just pay tax (if I went over the self employed threshold) on just the profit I make or would it be from buying the hair for the client as well?
- what is the best hair supplier? How do I get a trade account? If I bought products from them such as aftercare would I have to pay them any money if I sold at a higher price for profit?
- what sort of business insurance would you need for working from home with just hair extensions?
- when would I need to register as self employed?

Any help would be appreciated, this is a whole new world for me so I’m sorry if I sound silly!

Thanks very much

Hey!

It’s very daunting when you think of what’s involved in setting up your own business. You need to work hard and be true to yourself. If it’s not enjoyable, change it. Dedication is the key.

I have business insurance in my salon and I’m also covered when I’m mobile. As this is your own business you can pick and choose your hours how you like. When you start becoming busy though this may not be an option you’d want to take.

The other main thing is a good, reliable supplier who will work with you. When you have crap suppliers who supply rubbish it’s makes it very hard to become successful.

Out of the all the years in doing hair extensions, Euphoria One is by far the best supplier out there for hair quality, prices, reliability, stock and customer service. They have helped me so much with my business over the years.

Hope this helps you! xx

Latest posts

Back