Hair extensions - MRI brain scan

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loulabelle1988

Reaction score
Hi all!!

Bit of a random one but thought I would post to see if you have come across this before.

I'm due to have a MRI brain scan in a couple of weeks, and they did the usual you need to remove Jewellery, nail varnish etc (I'm going for a few diff treatments, didn't mention gel nails but I assumed they mean gel too [emoji12]) but didn't actually mention anything about hair extensions, but why would they I guess!

So I have micro ring hair extensions which are made from copper so I can't have these in the MRI scanner as they are metal but I thought that this is probably something they should mention on the documents! I'm trained in hair and beauty (albeit 10 years ago now!) so I knew I couldn't have them but thought that was bad on them for it not to be mentioned.

So next I thought well hang on, what if Someone is admitted to A and E and unconscious, assuming they do examine your head ([emoji120] lets hope that happens in those circumstances!) they would notice the extensions right? How on earth would they scan your brain? Would the doctor know that the small coloured rings are metal (again, let's hope they do!)

Given how important it is in the 'Golden Hour' when having a head injury, I'm guessing they have no choice but to give you the brain scan. What are the side effects??

Sorry but of a complicated one but my family looked at me as though I was mental as its really got me thinking!!!!!

Lou xxxxxxx

Very good point.... I know that MRI scans are done by magnets, I've had 2 before and had to remove piercings etc and my tattoos got very warm.
You have got me thinking now what they would do?? Lol
Xx

I had copper nanos in for my mri and it was fine , not magnetic so is ok if a brain scan they would show on scan so would make it hard for a diagnosis

Hi Tracy66 👋welcome to the forum.

The OP was posted in May 2015 and hasn't been seen on the forum since May 2020, but it is well worth bringing this to light.
I have it on sound advice that essentially it is down to the policies of individual trusts. Where I am from their policy is very strict and it would more likely be a no.
However, the valid point that you make about the proximity to the head would probably have implications for clear images and could complicate the diagnosis.......Food for thought.:)

Latest posts

Back