Hair Extensions - question for the experienced

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rock'n'rose

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I hope you are doing well and not stressed out by all the shopping and crazy drivers this season.
I have my own hand made hair extensions, it's long, beautiful, soft, silky shiny hair. I bought them 15 yrs ago, and they are still in excellent condition because I took very good care of them. They cost me over $600.00 USD, high quality european hair, and the application was included. I have used them seldomly - I had them put in for my wedding, and a few other times only. They are the type you "braid and sew" to your own hair. My question is: a) can they be converted into several keratin strands? b) if so, how much would that cost? c) which is the least damaging method for one's own hair and scalp? When I had them sown in, they were like my own hair. I never worried about them coming off, and they got loose after about 6 weeks, needing to be re-attached, but I usually took them off by then instead. When they came off, a lot of hair came off with them. That was the scary part. Thank you for any comment/suggestion. Happy Holidays!!!!!!!!!:)

I'm not a hairdresser (although my sister is) and I don't know about converting the hair extensions to strands ..... however, I do know that after six weeks ofa weave being in your hair, there is bound to be quite a few hairs that come out with it when removed. Hairs are continually renewed, and won't be able to 'fall out naturally' when your extensions are sewn in. They'll be held onto them. So, when the weave is removed, those hairs will fall away and could look like a lot in one go. :eek:
However, you wouldn't miss them if a few fell out every day.
HTH

Hi , and welcome to salon geek :hug:
could you explain a little more about the keratin strands ?

We use our own keratin bonded extensions which we make ourselves
we make sure all our virgin European hair is root to tip correct and comes in a healthy and shiny state so you can treat this hair as you would your own natural hair

you would need around 80 to 180 strands depending if it was a half head or a full head so you can imagine how tiny the bonds are ,

You do not need any heat pads for your fingers as they melt at a lower temperature and can be rolled in straight away
they do not shed and the bonds last for three months
and can be re bonded and reused again

Is this the type of thing you were looking for ?

This is the method I use myself,
but there are other methods out there that some other nice geeky can tell you about too :hug: x minky

wow angelaznailz a lightbulb went 'ping' in my head when u said that, i did panik when my last hair extensions came out coz of my own hairs that came out with them, but of course, how silli of me, ur hairs that normally fall out daily dont have a chance 2 fall out coz they r glued in!! wow :idea:

Hi there, out of the two methods you mentioned, weaving into natural hair or bonding, I prefer the bonded method as I find less tension is applied to the scalp and therefore less chance of traction alopecia (balding patches) usually round the temple area. The added hair needs to all be facing the same direction root to tip before bonding or the natural cuticle of the hair will not all face the same way and they will dread together. Keratin is naturally produced in nails and hair and I could be wrong here but don't think it can be extracted from humans, it can be produced from horsehoofs etc. There is an organic version of Keratin that is 100% natural made by Balmain (eurohair). I cannot speak for other companies as I don't know so would not want to cause offence. Balmain sell the keratin bonds and you'd need a professional to apply the hair with a connector that melts the bond. We lose appx 150 hairs each day from the head even though we might only see a few in the brush or on clothing. 6 weeks is the recommended time for removal and replacement as the hairs which we naturally lose will be trapped in the bonds which weakens the connection, cause strain on the remaining hair holding the bond in place and can again cause dreading. Hope that helps a bit more.

Latest posts

Back