Hair extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoe Ford

Reaction score
hey!:)

I'm new to salon geek, was pointed in the direction of you guys during my hair extension course the other day :)

As I just said I qualified to provide both nano and micro bead extensions at the weekend and I have a few questions I'm hoping you lovely people can help me with!o_O

Firstly - We were given a few suggestions for reputable suppliers (angel remy hair and routes hair extensions) just wondering if anyone could advise me of any other good suppliers?

Secondly - We were advised for thick hair you need between 200-250g of 0.8g double drawn hair and for fine hair around 150g of 0.4g hair, is this the 'rule of thumb' that everyone generally tends to go by? (bringing me on to my next question)

Thirdly - (and this is probably just my lack of mathematical skills haha!) say for instance I needed 200g of hair for my client, after having a (VERY) quick browse on routes website I noticed some of their hair comes in say a pack of 20 0.8g strands, using my very trusty phone calculator I worked out that 0.8g x 20 strands = 16g per pack so would I literally need to work out how many 16g packs I needed to give me 200g?

Does hair that weighs 1g as opposed to 0.4g or 0.8g mean it is thicker or just weighs more? Should I always stick to 0.8g for thick hair and 0.4 for fine hair or does it generally not matter as long as I stuck to the 200-250g for thick hair and 150g for fine hair? (in other words does it matter how much each individual strand weighs as long as I can still get the right amount in? I think that's what I mean!!)

On average how much hair do you find yourself applying for thick and thin types of hair or does it vary so much depending on the client and the result they want to achieve?

For some reason I just cannot get my head around all these 0. something's, never thought I'd find myself wishing I'd made more of an effort in school to understand decimal points, weights and maths in general, definitely come back to bite me on the backside now!!

Sorry for so many questions, can tell I'm a newbie haha! I just really want to be as informed as possible and to be able to provide my clients with the best possible service!

TIA:Dx

Hi Tia.

I have done three sets of hair extensions myself now. 2 LA Weaves and 1 nano rings.

For the nano rings I used Transform - I order 7 packets which gives me 140 individual strands. They are 0.9 each so in total its 126g. The lady had shorter fine hair and this worked out perfectly, I couldn't find anywhere else to fit any more if I wanted to. But yes, you need to work out how much you need yourself. (but looking on routes website it says their nanos are 1g per strand?) Not sure about using 0.4 g though?

I would say for thicker hair/full head you definitely need to be 200g plus. But I have not done a full thick head of nanos yet.

I am also looking at using Routes nanos - but have not tried these yet. x

Hey Emma,

Thanks for replying!! Would you say you aim for a certain number of strands when ordering or a certain weight?

In all honesty I haven't had a massive look at both websites, was just a brief look and I cant remember which one said 0.8g, perhaps angel remy hair, I just don't want to end ordering too little/not enough hair that's all!

Would you recommend Transform for hair? I'm not too sure about routes as they don't seem to have much in the way of hair on their site compared to angel remy hair (unless I'm looking at the wrong one)x

Hey Emma,

Thanks for replying!! Would you say you aim for a certain number of strands when ordering or a certain weight?

In all honesty I haven't had a massive look at both websites, was just a brief look and I cant remember which one said 0.8g, perhaps angel remy hair, I just don't want to end ordering too little/not enough hair that's all!

Would you recommend Transform for hair? I'm not too sure about routes as they don't seem to have much in the way of hair on their site compared to angel remy hair (unless I'm looking at the wrong one)x

Well when I did actually order from Transform I didnt realise it was 0.9g until afterwards and was panicking. BUT personally I think for finer hair look towards 140g (which is transform case will be 155 strands) so be best to order 8 packets so you are closer to 160 strands. The lady has had her hair in for nearly a month now and has said its great, the colours matched her perfectly. Transform is good budget range. x

Well when I did actually order from Transform I didnt realise it was 0.9g until afterwards and was panicking. BUT personally I think for finer hair look towards 140g (which is transform case will be 155 strands) so be best to order 8 packets so you are closer to 160 strands. The lady has had her hair in for nearly a month now and has said its great, the colours matched her perfectly. Transform is good budget range. x

Thanks Emma, that's really helpful and I will have a look at Transforms website now x

Thanks Emma, that's really helpful and I will have a look at Transforms website now x
Hi there our strands are all 1g strands so you get much more for your money and easy to work out :)
So we do 25g packs and to save more money 50g packs
As our hair is thick 1g double drawn strands we recommend for the average full head just 150 strands (£135 minus trade discount £121.50) to give you idea of price- very little people need more than this but feel free to check out our social media some of the pics state how many strands were used :)
Hope this helps a little but les packs with ours as 1g as apposed to others 0.8g then some companies add VAT at checkout taking the price up by 20% - our prives are fully inclusine of VAT
I hope this helps a little and feel free to drop us a message if anything youd like to know
Many thanks
Rachel @ Routes xx

Hi Tia.

I have done three sets of hair extensions myself now. 2 LA Weaves and 1 nano rings.

For the nano rings I used Transform - I order 7 packets which gives me 140 individual strands. They are 0.9 each so in total its 126g. The lady had shorter fine hair and this worked out perfectly, I couldn't find anywhere else to fit any more if I wanted to. But yes, you need to work out how much you need yourself. (but looking on routes website it says their nanos are 1g per strand?) Not sure about using 0.4 g though?

I would say for thicker hair/full head you definitely need to be 200g plus. But I have not done a full thick head of nanos yet.

I am also looking at using Routes nanos - but have not tried these yet. x
We use 140 to 160 of transform nano and its ample the tips are really strong so never need to be retipped ,we find the 0.9 is more than enough in weight as your fitting to smaller amounts of hair in a nano ring so its safer for the root

We use 140 to 160 of transform nano and its ample the tips are really strong so never need to be retipped ,we find the 0.9 is more than enough in weight as your fitting to smaller amounts of hair in a nano ring so its safer for the root

Thanks Cheryl that's really useful to know!! This website is literally like a bible omg I don't know how I've never found it before!!

Hi there our strands are all 1g strands so you get much more for your money and easy to work out :)
So we do 25g packs and to save more money 50g packs
As our hair is thick 1g double drawn strands we recommend for the average full head just 150 strands (£135 minus trade discount £121.50) to give you idea of price- very little people need more than this but feel free to check out our social media some of the pics state how many strands were used :)
Hope this helps a little but les packs with ours as 1g as apposed to others 0.8g then some companies add VAT at checkout taking the price up by 20% - our prives are fully inclusine of VAT
I hope this helps a little and feel free to drop us a message if anything youd like to know
Many thanks
Rachel @ Routes xx

Hi Rachel,
Thanks for your reply, it's really helpful to hear from the actual supplier, feel much more confident now!!
My course provider was literally singing your praises and saying how amazing your hair is for the whole of our training day, so excited to try it out for myself!!!

Hello,
We offer 0.8g or 1g strands and sell all our hair in 25g bundles. Our 0.8g hair is 30 strands per bundle.
We stock over 80 colours in 3 different grades which may be suitable for you.
Depending on your clients hair, as a rough guide a full head usually requires 125g for fine hair and 175g - 200g for thick hair,
(For extremely thin hair 125g may be too much).
For clients with very thin or delicate hair, it's best not to load their hair with too many bonds.
We hope this helps.
Best Regards,
Angelo Sardo Viscuglia.
Euphoria One Limited.

Hello,
We offer 0.8g or 1g strands and sell all our hair in 25g bundles. Our 0.8g hair is 30 strands per bundle.
We stock over 80 colours in 3 different grades which may be suitable for you.
Depending on your clients hair, as a rough guide a full head usually requires 125g for fine hair and 175g - 200g for thick hair,
(For extremely thin hair 125g may be too much).
For clients with very thin or delicate hair, it's best not to load their hair with too many bonds.
We hope this helps.
Best Regards,
Angelo Sardo Viscuglia.
Euphoria One Limited.

Hi Angelo,

Thanks for your reply, that's really useful to know! I will pop over to your website and have a look!!
Zoe

Hi Rachel,
Thanks for your reply, it's really helpful to hear from the actual supplier, feel much more confident now!!
My course provider was literally singing your praises and saying how amazing your hair is for the whole of our training day, so excited to try it out for myself!!!
Aww thats great to hear!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Zoe,

I just wondered if you have done any extensions yet? I have my course on Monday and have been looking at suppliers and hair seems to be a lot more expensive than I thought! :( I will ask on the day but I see competitors charging £100 to fit micro rings real remi hair but the hair I am looking at is even more than that. Hope you don't mind me asking!

Fitted 14" from transform yesterday and only needed 100 bonds as they were super thick

Cheryl1 are you still wearing transform youre self ? Are you still liking it ? Ive only used it on one client but she only wore it 2 months so dont know what the hair was like after longer use . Im just wearing angel remy . Wich is nice but it tangles a lot

Not at the moment but our ladies are and they love them do you follow their facebook page as they constantly upload pictures and feedback you could message some of the salons or post on the page for advice from other users?

hey!:)

I'm new to salon geek, was pointed in the direction of you guys during my hair extension course the other day :)

As I just said I qualified to provide both nano and micro bead extensions at the weekend and I have a few questions I'm hoping you lovely people can help me with!o_O

Firstly - We were given a few suggestions for reputable suppliers (angel remy hair and routes hair extensions) just wondering if anyone could advise me of any other good suppliers?

Secondly - We were advised for thick hair you need between 200-250g of 0.8g double drawn hair and for fine hair around 150g of 0.4g hair, is this the 'rule of thumb' that everyone generally tends to go by? (bringing me on to my next question)

Thirdly - (and this is probably just my lack of mathematical skills haha!) say for instance I needed 200g of hair for my client, after having a (VERY) quick browse on routes website I noticed some of their hair comes in say a pack of 20 0.8g strands, using my very trusty phone calculator I worked out that 0.8g x 20 strands = 16g per pack so would I literally need to work out how many 16g packs I needed to give me 200g?

Does hair that weighs 1g as opposed to 0.4g or 0.8g mean it is thicker or just weighs more? Should I always stick to 0.8g for thick hair and 0.4 for fine hair or does it generally not matter as long as I stuck to the 200-250g for thick hair and 150g for fine hair? (in other words does it matter how much each individual strand weighs as long as I can still get the right amount in? I think that's what I mean!!)

On average how much hair do you find yourself applying for thick and thin types of hair or does it vary so much depending on the client and the result they want to achieve?

For some reason I just cannot get my head around all these 0. something's, never thought I'd find myself wishing I'd made more of an effort in school to understand decimal points, weights and maths in general, definitely come back to bite me on the backside now!!

Sorry for so many questions, can tell I'm a newbie haha! I just really want to be as informed as possible and to be able to provide my clients with the best possible service!

TIA:Dx
Not at the moment but our ladies are and they love them do you follow their facebook page as they constantly upload pictures and feedback you could message some of the salons or post on the page for advice from other users?

A star hair extensions are brilliant with there Indian and Russian double drawn wefts they do nail tips and microloops for a great price too I wouldn't use any other supplier now.

Thx cheryl yes i follow them . But as km here since last year some time snd i love nice hair for me and my clients i might just stick with transform .

I use transform alot! My client get at least 6 months out of the Mongolian hair. And the Russian hair is beautiful, I had a client in for her 6 week maintenance on Tuesday and it still felt the same as the day I fitted it x

Only 6 month ???? I would of thought its better than angel remy .

Latest posts

Back