Hair extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tammy helped me loads with my disater hair exts.

I would have them again, but id go to tammy!! its a bit far but worth it!!

at the moment my hair has grown loads anyway though, so no need for exts!! :D

Ive been having extensions for about 2 years now and ive noticed when i dont have them my hair grows really longer and nicer when i do have them i think it may stunt the growth of my hair xx

Hi,

I'm looking to buy some new clip in hair extensions and I have no idea where to go as the place I normally get them from has shut down!

Last time I paid £60 for a full head. I'm struggling a bit because I'm not sure what colour and whatnot to get off the internet shops!!

Hi,

I'm looking to buy some new clip in hair extensions and I have no idea where to go as the place I normally get them from has shut down!

Last time I paid £60 for a full head. I'm struggling a bit because I'm not sure what colour and whatnot to get off the internet shops!!

Hi Jessica Simpson ones are supposed to be nice I think sally the professional
hair shop sell them , you could along go and see the colours ,
sorry I don't know much about eBay ones :hug:

I appear to have two options.

I can buy the extensions from a salon near me, they'll colour match and all that but it's more expensive. I can buy them off the internet from a place that has been recommended by a few friends which is cheaper but I wouldn't be able to match the colour properly so I'd have to dye it.

Which do you think is best? x

I appear to have two options.

I can buy the extensions from a salon near me, they'll colour match and all that but it's more expensive. I can buy them off the internet from a place that has been recommended by a few friends which is cheaper but I wouldn't be able to match the colour properly so I'd have to dye it.

Which do you think is best? x

I would go to the salon and then you will have a perfect match :hug: x

Generally the best advice about extensions is to be wary of the "cheaper" options out there as they are really a false economy and generally give you poorer results.

You should ONLY use human hair- and if you're having them bonded you should ONLY use an extensionist that has been recommended to you.

Quite frankly the best results are from a skilled extensionist using a quality product. Failing that, is creating your own clip-ins, as this is low risk.

We've been in the business for over 10 years from our Cheshire salon (we've done lots of training for Racoon as well...) obviously the key to our business has been finding the best hair available- we've used all the major "brands" out there and found them disappointing- so we scoured the globe and went straight to the source- and we honestly believe we've found the best hair currently available on the UK market today.

Last edited:
Hi wonder if anyone can help!!

I have had some hair extensions put in It is Cinderella hair and single bonds, i had it done 2 weeks ago and in the first 2 weeks 2 of the bonds have fallen out, i went back to the lady that did them on sunday and she resealed the bonds and its now wednesday and 2 more have fallen out.

is it possible that my hair wont take the extensions or is it that they have not been fitted properly?

hope someone can help before i go and shove the bonds that have fallen out where the sun dont shine!!

cheers

Jade:irked:

It sounds to me like the bonds weren't properly heated during installation :)

Thanks for your advice, some of the bonds have my hair in and others that have come out havent!!!
Im not using any aftercare products she told me just to use Herbal Essences Fruit Fusions Shampoo and Conditioner as it was excatley the same...

i know you lose a few through the course of time but i started to lose them a week after having them put in, now it's been 3 weeks and in total iv lost 12!!!

Not sure what to do next
:sad:[/

Your extensions are falling out because your using the wrong shampoo and conditioner,you should be using the cinderella shampoo and conditioner for your extensions, the drug store products have too much lanaline in them,and also you have to wait three days after you have them done before you can shampoo again, so the bonds can set.:!:

I hate to say this but fusion is not for everyone. Some people's body chemistry won't work with it. Don't give up on extensions, this just might not be the method for you.
Also consider your diet and any stress or medication that you are taking.
Hope this helps.

Hi Peterpan there can be a few reasons for this all of it to do with putting stress on the hair roots eg;

The maximum length of hair extensions is only ever supposed to be double the natural hair length,
this is so that there is not too much weight pulling at the roots of the extensions
and also so there is plenty of natural hair to support the extension hair.

The piece's of extension hair that you are going to bond to the natural hair
should always be of the same thickness as each other,
because if the extension hair is bonded to the natural hair and it is too thin of a piece,
it will not support the extension hair and it will pull at the roots causing traction alopecia
leaving the extensions hanging by a single hair or two

Also the actual application techniques if not placed in properly through lack of training can also put stress on the roots

aftercare is paramount with hair extensions

I had a client and no matter how much I told her , she kept putting curls in her extension hair
the ones that you pull through straighteners , ouch :irked:
and she was pulling them through without holding the hair extensions at the roots :eek:

The extensions are supposed to be held with a hand on them to support the roots even if you are just brushing the hair otherwise traction alopecia can then occur if it is abused by overly pulling the hair ,
or at least some amount of thinning will occur .

there are also some certain factors that a hair extension artist will need to know about their client to make sure she is a suitable candidate for hair extensions

for example if they have ever had alopecia ect and there are a plenty more things listed too .

Always check out qualifications and experience

I don't know what happened to your hair Peterpan but it certainly is enough to put you off ,

I know I would be put off too :hug: x

oh right - i must admit tho that the extensions i had were long - my hair at the time wasnt that long (about shoulder length) but the extensions were to the middle of my back - i loved them and they looked fab - but boy they were heavy - dont get me wrong - it was the hair that came out of my head that bothered me - the only thing i didnt like about the extensions was that the hair seemed to "fuzz" up all the time (they were racoon extensions) and i felt that they looked and felt like dolls hair - other than that............................................... they were great

the technician was brill and matched my hair perfectly - im not knocking her in any way at all, maybe its just my hair not suited - dont know - but i wont be having them again

as they say - been there- done that- got the t-shirt

please dont think that im knocking this thread either flower, cos im not, i was just stating my experience :hug:

Will someone please help me! I got extensions almost TWO weeks ago, the kind that are crimped in with the aluminum thingys. They are human hair, and since I got them done almost TWO WEEKS ago, I have had at least 12-15 fall out. I went to the stylist that did it three days ago, and she re-tightened majority of them, and re-installed about ten of them, maybe more. Well, since that day, I have had FIVE already fall out. I notice they really loosen up around my scalp and fall down my hair, and then I have to gently pull them out of my hair. I listened to everything she said, and I am still having them fall out.

I am wondering what is causing this? I think she isn't getting enough hair to crimp them too because it seems the amount of hair she uses is less than the extension itself, which would make sense as to why they are falling out?

How should I go about telling her this? I also forgot to mention, she is the only one in our small town that does extensions. I am trying SO hard to be nice, and to keep this bridge between us but I am about to lose my mind over them! I paid $400 plus dollars:eek: getting these extensions and almost cry everyday:cry: because I find one loose everyday...PLEASE HELP ME! :rolleyes:

I think the extensions you mention are micro-rings or something of that kind. They are more likely to fall out than bonded with glue but if applied correctly and to the right kind of hair you should keep enough in to get you to top up time....around 6-8 weeks.
The reasons they may fall out excessively are these...
not enough hair in the bond (as you suggest)
not clamped tight enough (lots of ladies don't apply enough pressure)
your hair is too silky
your hair was not washed without conditioner before applying
your hair is not being kept washed often enough 2 - 3 times a week.

If they are coming out mainly at the bottom and sides this is fairly common as the hair there is much finer on almost everyone. If this happens they can be fixed back in with two rings on them. One tight up against the other. This will usually solve that problem.

Why not copy and paste this message and any others that are relevant and print it out for your extensionist to see. She may take offense even if you offer it kindly but you still have to give it a good shot. It's your money after all. Lol you wouldn't copy and paste this last para. :-D

Let us know what happens.

Linda

Could be wrong.. I'm sure someone will correct me but its a rule I ALWAYS stick by.
If you are Pregnant or given birth in the last 6 months I will NOT fit hair extensions under normal circumstances unless a disclosure has been filled out (ie problems may occur but at your own risk)

The hair can be lacking in nutriants and all sorts that the baby may have taken from you. 6 months is pleanty of time to give you a good root section that is strong enough to fit extensions onto.

If your having problems getting threw to her I would possibly get somebody else in to see what the think etc... I live in Southend and I will PM you... I'm more than happy to come and have a look for you.

Its sad some people actually just care about taking the cash and running... I have a strict aftercare scheme to follow and I have a guarantee plan my clients like to follow.

I would also say its not unusual to loose 5 - 10 at the most... but never any more.

Hair sliding out

The main reason for bonded hair extensions falling out is due to poor preparation such as cleansing the hair prior to applicant ,and also poor application

Bauld spots.

Hair extensions should not be in someones hair for 3 months especially if the hair is fine.
Extensions should be rotated as the natural hair sheds. If this is not done the extension won't be holding onto ample amounts of hair thus slowly causing induced hair loss (stress).

Aplication

Hair extension position and placement is so so important. If the extension is not installed at natural fall it will apply pressure on some hairs more than others causing stress.

Pregnant

It's typical that woman can loose hair after or during pregnancy.
It recommended to wait till at least 3 months after the pregnancy prior to apply the extensions. The reason for this is very simple.
You need hair to attach hair extensions to, so if the clients is loosing hair rapidly the hair extension will not be able to support the extension and slowly start to cause stress.

Recovery.
Hair loss by extension will eventually regrow. This period will be different from person to person but the estimate time is 3 months.

I'm always interested to read hair extension threads. I've had them put in for the last 5 years.

Here's what i do to look after them - almost nothing. Honestly!

I almost always have them in for about 8-9 months before they're just way too far down my grown-out hair. Sometimes we leave some in and put new ones in so the growth is staggered, or we take some out and re-bond them further up.

My normal hair is very fine and not much of it. Oh yeah, and oily. These extensions have given me lots.

I almost never have any maintenance on them. I wash with ordinary hypoallergenic shampoo, condition the ends and at the last moment put a little through the hair and wash out. I sometimes don't blow-dry my hair... sometimes I do. I put colour through my hair (including bleach). I brush with a loop brush - when I feel like it (certainly not twice a day). I wear it up, down and every which way.

I think this time, in 9 months, I've lost a total of 6-8. My technician is Great Lengths trained (so was the last one) but I buy my hair elsewhere from a highly-recommended supplier in the USA and she puts them in.

I am more than convinced it's not only the technician, but also the quality of the hair and the bonds. Other than that, I must be really lucky with extensions. I've always had them in for way longer than they should last, and they don't get too tangled.

At the moment I have some Russian and some Indian Remy and I think they look great. So do others. But yes, it's time I had them re-done because I've lost the bulk further up.

Sadly I'm relocating to a different area and hope I can find someone as good.

Latest posts

Back