Hair Falling Out, Complaint!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clair78

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

Im in need of some advice.
Ive just got off the phone to a client who came in the salon yesterday for hi lites and she is saying her hair is falling out. We all know what some clients can be like with the dramatics but clearly im concerned.
i havent actually seen the ladies hair since she was in yesterday but i want to be prepared with what to say before i see her.
She wasnt my client but i did help to put some hilites in as the stylist was running late, i never noticed that her hair was particularly dry or damaged before hand, but she previously had some hi lites on her hair (bleach and tint) by another salon. We put bleach with 6% on and it was only on bout 20 mins I checked the bleach myself as the other stylist was busy. We put on a treatment as we do with all colours but there wasnt an abnormal amount of hair in the basin but it was a buggar to comb through when the treatment was off and she was back in the chair.
I didnt have much to do with the client after wards although i did feel the clients hair before she went just when i looked at the end result to say how nice it looked and i didnt notice it was dry or falling out.
The client seemed happy and even rebooked for a few weeks time.

Now she is a group on customer so she has paid next to nothing for this £99 service and she has travelled from the next town a 50 mile round trip.
She phoned me this morning saying that 2 of her hairdresser friends asked if she did her hair herself at home as it looked awful, she is saying its falling out and snapping and she looks like a scarecrow and that it feels like elastic. She wants to come back in and wants me to pay for her petrol for the 2nd trip over. Now i will obviously look at it, do a free treatment and give her something to take home and maybe cut some off but apart from that im not sure what else i can say. I will ask her what she wants me to do but im a bit unsure of how to approach this as ive not had much experience in the complaint department with hair falling out.
Have any of you had the same experience and what did you do/say to the customer?
She not a complete nightmare she hasnt shouted and kicked off she just wants me to do something but what can i do????
I think it wont be as bad as she thinks it is and that its the 'friends' making it sound worse.

Advice please

C x

Can anyone help???

I wouldnt pay for her petrol!l i think what u suggested free treatment/cut ect is more fair.....as you say youve made little proffit in the first place with it bein an offer.....i'd wait see for yourself if her hair is "falling out"......Obviously is shes had more highlights than usual your hair does feel more dry especially when bleach is used!

so she had her hair done yesterday and since then she has just so happened to bump into her two friends whoa re hairdressers but they don't do her hair?

Tell her you won't pay for her petrol to come see you again. but i would have a look at it.

I had someone who said that the colour that she had done the weekend before had "disappeared" from her roots, and would i be able to fix it for her on the saturday as she had a wedding and couldnt go looking like that. I checked her record card and 1. I had done it three weeks before and 2. i had bleached it so I don't see how it had just disappeared. So I called her back and said I would be able to look at it on Saturday but could not fix it that day as I was busy...she didn't turn up. Probably because she knew I wasn't going to be walked over and I wasn't gonna redo her three week regrowth for free just cos she had a wedding.

Tell her to come in and let you see it, then talk to her about it then. But if you think her hair was fine when she left, and given the reputation that most groupon clients have on here.....I guess she is a chancer.

Hi there,

You said it was a pain to comb through after washing and a conditioning treatment? I have to admit, it does sound like damaged hair, that may have been from previous services but unfortunately you have caught the brunt of it. If she as spoken to hairdressers then it sounds like they have told her what to say as clients don't generally use the term 'elastic'.

As for paying for petrol that is out of the question because she could give you any price and ultimately she chose to travel that far. So you could tell her that, You will not be paying for her petrol but will have a look at her and if you feel there is undue to damage to the hair then you can offer her conditioning treatments or you may want to reimburse her for the bleach but only according to the group on price. Obviously you don't want to be reimbursing if you can help it. I don't think it will be as bad as she thinks, if anything it will just need more care when the hair is wet so give her a leave in conditioner or strengthener.

Don't worry hun, you are the professional and jut because some friend of hers told her hair was bad that doesn't mean that you have to agree. Its your opinion that counts. Keep a calm voice, think about what your prepared to do for her and just take it with a pinch of salt. Some people just like to complain x x

Thanks guys I really appreciate the advice I feel much more confident about dealing with her now. It's odd because I have alot of experience in the industry but never really had to deal with complaints of this sort.
I'm seeing her this morning so will update you later
Cheers
C x

so she had her hair done yesterday and since then she has just so happened to bump into her two friends whoa re hairdressers but they don't do her hair?

Exactly what I thought! X

Thanks guys I really appreciate the advice I feel much more confident about dealing with her now. It's odd because I have alot of experience in the industry but never really had to deal with complaints of this sort.
I'm seeing her this morning so will update you later
Cheers
C x

I wouldn't back down, she's prob trying to pull a fast one!
Did you advise her on appropriate aftercare? No doubt she is using awful supermarket rubbish, not helping with the situation. Xxx

dont back down! see her and treat it but that be that

i had someone 2 years ago that tried the same with me, i went out of my way to help her (she had fallen out with her prev hairdresser) and then proceeded to badmouth me on facebook saying she was "friends with the local mp and was complaining i was unqualified"

it devastated me but move on, there will always be one.

we had one with the gellux nails a few weeks ago, i think i posted on here. i wouldnt back down either and offered either a free removal (having heard her tell my technician that she is a nibbler) or free reapply if she removed it herself.

it is hard to be strong but you must be!

let us know.

Just saw this - unfortunately some clients are never happy with their hair regardless!!

I defo would NOT back down, if you and the other stylist were happy for her to leave the salon then that's all that matters. You have no idea what her or any of her so called hairdresser friends have done to it since?? Nor what products she has been using at home!

If you tell her you are not willing to 'fix' it for free and she's not happy het a second opinion from another stylist in the salon to back you up. We're hair dressers not miracle workers! And all we can do is advise our clients we can't make them use professional products on their hair. She may have used a silver shampoo on it that's not very good quality?? That can sometimes make hair feel awful as it's not made for repair

Hopefully you get this lady sorted out! X

Thanks for all your comments guys.
So....she came in and all she really wanted was a bit of TLC. Her hair was a bit dry so I put a treatment on blow dried it and gave her a treatment for the 'inconvenience' of coming back and she was happy and rebooked back in!!! Her hair wasn't falling out except when she started tugging it saying 'look see its coming out'!!!! Well yes it will if you pull it like that !!!!!
So any way end result happy client
Thanks again for your advice guys
Cx

FABULOUS!!! :D

What an over reaction! x

Latest posts

Back