Hair for funerals

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluerinse

Reaction score
I'm wanting to get into hairstyling for funeral homes as I truly feel everyone's hair should look great at the funeral, anyone done this or got advice how to get into other than letters and introducing myself to local funeral homes?

I'm wanting to get into hairstyling for funeral homes as I truly feel everyone's hair should look great at the funeral, anyone done this or got advice how to get into other than letters and introducing myself to local funeral homes?

I think thats a really sweet idea but it would freak me out a bit :/ and knowing you there hair would look better than before they passed !!! X

I think thats a really sweet idea but it would freak me out a bit :/ and knowing you there hair would look better than before they passed !!! X

Really? See I'm fine with dead bodies, it's the living ones I have problems with! It all comes from my partners mum passing away on the 1st of feb (this year) and they didn't bother with her hair! So it's something I really want to offer to other family's as I wished I could of done with my own.

Its not that easy to get into you have to do training not hairdressing obviously but being and working on a dead body as such.

I looked into doing it for the nails and I got no every time I inquired.

I think your best bet would be hospices and nursing homes where the person or family knows that they are going to be passing soon and you could go there and do there hair before they pass so to speak not sure if that makes sence to you but I know what I'm trying to say.x

Lovely idea bluerinse.when my grandad passed the lad that arranged his body and dressed him and makeup did my granddads hair and it was lovely.A lot of places don't do that though and it's a real shame x

Last edited:
Omg I think this is a fabulous idea! My nan IMO was the best hairdresser ever. She was creative, passionate and beautiful! When I went to visit her in the funeral home her hair was a bloody mess! I said to my gramps best you bring in her tongs tomorrow, she will be turning before she hits the grave! He was crying and laughing at the same time cos he knew I was right! She was only 61 and she looked after herself! If like to think someone as talented as you blue would have me looking fabulous! Dead or alive!

Its not that easy to get into you have to do training not hairdressing obviously but being and working on a dead body as such.

I looked into doing it for the nails and I got no every time I inquired.

I think your best bet would be hospices and nursing homes where the person or family knows that they are going to be passing soon and you could go there and do there hair before they pass so to speak not sure if that makes sence to you but I know what I'm trying to say.x

See now I've been told opposite round here. Hmm right investigation time me thinks, I get what you mean chick :) all makes sense x

See now I've been told opposite round here. Hmm right investigation time me thinks, I get what you mean chick :) all makes sense x

In America you need a cosmetology degree I believe.Not to sure what you would need here but I suppose it would be the likes of heat near the body product near the body what you can an can't use near the body maybe what could react to chemicals they use.

The funeral homes I approached I think were shocked I even asked about it but I found it a completely normal question to ask.X

In America you need a cosmetology degree I believe.Not to sure what you would need here but I suppose it would be the likes of heat near the body product near the body what you can an can't use near the body maybe what could react to chemicals they use.

The funeral homes I approached I think were shocked I even asked about it but I found it a completely normal question to ask.X

Yes me too! It's all something I have been curious of for years! Since I was young! X

Yes me too! It's all something I have been curious of for years! Since I was young! X

I always wanted to be a mortician and that is mega hard to get into and a year ago I enquired about it to be an assistant and do the embalming etc and they use contractors not in house morticians and I would have had to go to Scotland for training and the chances of getting a job after were really slim around my area as they have there certain person that does it and that's it so to speak until that mortician dies.

I think it's a lovely idea and if you can do it go for it.There should be life after death in your appearance so to speak.It's lovely to think you can give something back to people and that's what I have always thought.x

I'd never do it I'm so scared of dead people lol

Where I live in the US, the family usually asks the hair stylist that did the deceased hair before they passed. Or someone that does hair for a family member. But I do believe that going to the funeral home with a brochure or something with the prices on it, will make a wonderful impression!

I take my hat off to you Blue fair play ! . i think its a fantastic idea ! go for it . I couldnt do it myself , but i can totally see why you would want to do it ;-) . xx

i was watching the fixer lasy night and it was about funerals...they went to florists venues etc offering to suggest their services to the deceased family for a commision? the people who owned the shops all jumped at the chance givin 15 - 20% commission to the funeral home. is it worth approaching some and suggesting for every one they pass to you they get a commision? good luck i think its a lovely idea xx

i was watching the fixer lasy night and it was about funerals...they went to florists venues etc offering to suggest their services to the deceased family for a commision? the people who owned the shops all jumped at the chance givin 15 - 20% commission to the funeral home. is it worth approaching some and suggesting for every one they pass to you they get a commision? good luck i think its a lovely idea xx

I watched this too ;) x

its a little different on people you didnt know, especially if they dont look great.....just watch out for where theyve had a post mortom and the top of the head has been cut off and stuck back on....

My sister in law does this for her job. She is not a hairdresser. You have to do the proper courses for preparing dead bodies. It is a full time job. They don't just have specific hairdressers. Bobbie does everything. To dressing them, applying make up and the hair. It is extremely hard to get into. bobbie tried for years. It was only when both her parents died, she approached the funeral home that prepare her parents for experience an then they took her on.

One of my clients passed away a couple of years ago I did her hair makeup and nails do she looked a little more normal for her family when they went to see her. Normally the funeral home will do it themselves I offered to do it to the family as I was quite close to them. But as for the hair as they are in the coffin it was only the front but I did there's not much you can do with it really. I would just add the service to your treatments and advertise it on your website that way people can contact you if it's something they want for thier loved one. X

I think it's a lovely idea and a great service to offer your clients. You should definitely speak to someone who has done it before to make sure you know exactly what you're getting into, what's involved, what's allowed etc.

Do you do make up also?

You should check at your local funeral directors and nursing homes to see who currently does this.

I saw The Fixer last night - the episode on Funeral Directors. It's a fascinating programme. I love that she's working with family businesses and in unusual sectors - it's great to get an insight into a company that you wouldn't normally see.

I was approached by a cosmetic surgeon once before who was interested in my services for post surgery styling, I.e after someone has had major surgery like a face lift or something, to remove blood aetc from the hair, and style hair accordingly do that the overall image when recovering wasn't as shocking. Everyone feels better when hair is looking good right !? Even if the rest of your face is in a bandage!!!!!

i looked into this but around here they see it as an american idea and not a commercially viable one. I think they are wrong and time will change this funerals are still done very similar to victorian ones and when i go i want it to reflect my personality.
Let me know if you have any luck hun.

Latest posts

Back