Hair Geeks advice needed, hiring a hair extensionist?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minnieb

Reaction score
Hi Hair Geeks :) I am NOT a hair Geek so I need your opinions and advice regarding hiring a hair extensionist for my salon. I'll be opening my own salon in the next few weeks (assuming that the renovations go as planned) and at the moment, the space is pretty much a blank canvas. I will be offering tanning (UV and spray), nails, waxing and we are getting a Dr in once a month to do injectables (botox, restylene, etc.). The space is quite large compared to salons I have worked in in the past and I think there is a demand in the area for another hair extensionist. At the moment, there is only one salon-based extensionist in the area and she is ALWAYS busy! I have done some research online about extensions but that is abt the extent of my knowledge on the subject so my question to you is, how do I choose an extensionist for my salon?? What sort of equipment and space is needed (ie. backwash station, chair, etc)? What sort of rate do I charge to rent out the space since there isn't really anything to compare to in my town? Any opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone????

Hi, they are usually on the same rates of chair rental as anyone else,
unless you are wanting to employ them,

They may look like they busy all the time,
but they can only fit in a couple of clients per day sometimes only one if its a big job

but regarding the lenght of time it takes to do the extensions
plus the high costs of the good quality hair and products
and all the extra training involved
it takes a good while for the extensionist to recoup what they paid out for equipment and training ect,

So when you work it all out
a couple of colour clients a day and a couple of cut and blo drys work out around the same for the renter,

also the same basic fixtures as for a hair dresser are required ,

Just thinking
wouldnt it be worth while for you to train up in hairdressing /extensions yourself ? :)

Hi Minky, thx for the post. What you say makes a lot of sense. It sort of cleared up a few things for me. I'd actually really like to train in hair myself but I think it would take a long time to actually become good at it and I'd like to offer extensions when the salon opens....not in a few years lol. I guess for now, I'll continue researching abt the different methods and then possibly advertise the space in the local paper and see what kind of replies I get. Thanks a lot and please, any more advice would be a great help!

Latest posts

Back