Hair help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi all. I’m a nail tech but I need personal advice from any hairdressers out there please.

last Sunday I went to a new hairdresser for a full head of highlights. The woman spent 8 hours foiling my hair (she said I had a lot of hair!) but when she removed the foils she had actually bleached ALL of my hair. She said it would be best to put dark pieces back in but I was very worried about looking stripy so after a discussion we decided to tone the whole lot to an ashy blonde. My hair after bleaching was a very pale yellow.
After toning and drying my hair, the result was patchy, blue in places and a lot of warmth in the mid section. As 9.5 hours had now passed she suggested I come back on Wednesday so she could finish it and correct the patchiness. I paid her and left.

when home I realised she never showed me the back of my hair so I had a look and to my horror, the back of my jumper was covered with bleach and completely ruined.

She has since cancelled the appointment on the morning of it. When i asked for an alternative appointment she said she’s decided to close her books and so I would have to go elsewhere.
I asked for a refund but she has refused.

what do I do?

also, is there something I can do with my hair (I have a trade card)
I can’t afford another hairdresser visit right now and I don’t want anymore bleach on my head.

How could she get bleach on your clothes? Weren’t you wearing a hairdressing cape/gown with additional protection?
Why did you sit for 8 hours getting foils? A fresh batch of bleach would have to be re-mixed every 60-90 mins. Didn’t you think it was odd? Even a trainee hairdresser surely wouldn’t take anywhere near that long?

Anything you do to it now is going to be a complex colour correction service and definitely not a diy job. I’m seriously worried for the condition of your hair at this stage. Talk to your friends for recommendations and find another hairdresser who is experienced and knows exactly what they’re doing.

How could she get bleach on your clothes? Weren’t you wearing a hairdressing cape/gown with additional protection?
Why did you sit for 8 hours getting foils? A fresh batch of bleach would have to be re-mixed every 60-90 mins. Didn’t you think it was odd? Even a trainee hairdresser surely wouldn’t take anywhere near that long?

Anything you do to it now is going to be a complex colour correction service and definitely not a diy job. I’m seriously worried for the condition of your hair at this stage. Talk to your friends for recommendations and find another hairdresser who is experienced and knows exactly what they’re doing.

I was wearing a hairdresser cape but nothing else. She did a quarter of my hair at a time, washing off each section before moving to the next. She mixed several batches of bleach. Of course I thought it was odd but as she is a professional hairdresser, I trusted her explanation of why it was taking so long.

unfortunately I cannot afford another hairdresser right now but thank you for the suggestion.

bless you thats awful and you seem like a very genuine and lovely person who has just had an awful experience. I'm not a colourist but maybe someone here can recommend something that you could put on your hair just to tone it down a bit as you can't afford to go to the hairdressers maybe if you don't mind it be a bit darker maybe something that washes out and would condition it. I use colour touch on my hair its great for shine and condition maybe you could pop some photos on here so any colourists who are members can see the condition and colour of your hair so sorry hon sounds like an ordeal X

So sorry to hear of your nightmare. She must have been really inexperienced and I’m assuming watery bleach has ran down your neck at the backwash whilst she was doing her part washing and bleached your top.
Unfortunately low lights or colour correction at a salon would be the best way forward for a colour - if there’s blue and orange tones there won’t be a one fix colour that you are going to be happy with. Has the salon you went to got a manager? How many staff? Or is she the owner? It’s really bad to close her books.
Put everything in writing and email her to ask what she will offer in way of resolution. She really should be offering you redo and hair treatments etc. Our policy was not to refund but the redo package would be far greater in value as we believed our customer service was paramount- this girl obviously doesn’t care! But maybe if you put it in writing, tell her you will be taking it further.... fingers crossed for you.
do you have any pics?

I think you really need to make a fuss and insist not only a refund but also the cost of replacing your top. If she doesn’t pay up immediately, send a letter advising that you intend to start court proceedings.

The service you endured sounds so far removed from what a good colouring experience should be. I’m sorry if my first response seemed overly harsh, I was just shocked that anyone would sit for so long and pay for such a service. :oops:

I agree this is wrong on every level you must be devastated to have invested all that time in this person only to have your hair ruined and your clothing. She strikes me as dishonest as she must have seen your top was ruined and didn’t say anything . Don’t let this go as she could do it to someone else if she hasn’t already. Sounds like she just wants you to disappear well in my opinion don’t

Sounds to me that she knows she stuffed up.
She has been unprofessional in her work and extremely unprofessional in her approach.

Make some noise, demand a refund and cost of your top.

Keep harassing her, leave bad reviews where you can.

Don't give up. Hopefully she will get sick of you pestering her and refund you..... as she should.

Good luck

This is absolutely disgraceful! Please let us know what happens. Which area do you live in. Perhaps if we could see some photos of you? Please let us know how you get on.

bless you thats awful and you seem like a very genuine and lovely person who has just had an awful experience. I'm not a colourist but maybe someone here can recommend something that you could put on your hair just to tone it down a bit as you can't afford to go to the hairdressers maybe if you don't mind it be a bit darker maybe something that washes out and would condition it. I use colour touch on my hair its great for shine and condition maybe you could pop some photos on here so any colourists who are members can see the condition and colour of your hair so sorry hon sounds like an ordeal X

Thank you for the advice. I will try and post some pictures tomorrow in natural light. It’s much warmer now I’ve washed it a few times too! x

So sorry to hear of your nightmare. She must have been really inexperienced and I’m assuming watery bleach has ran down your neck at the backwash whilst she was doing her part washing and bleached your top.
Unfortunately low lights or colour correction at a salon would be the best way forward for a colour - if there’s blue and orange tones there won’t be a one fix colour that you are going to be happy with. Has the salon you went to got a manager? How many staff? Or is she the owner? It’s really bad to close her books.
Put everything in writing and email her to ask what she will offer in way of resolution. She really should be offering you redo and hair treatments etc. Our policy was not to refund but the redo package would be far greater in value as we believed our customer service was paramount- this girl obviously doesn’t care! But maybe if you put it in writing, tell her you will be taking it further.... fingers crossed for you.
do you have any pics?

Thank for your message.
yes I think it must have been watery bleach judging from the pattern. I got very wet throughout the appointment and had a completely soaked face mask by the end.
There’s no manager. It’s just her in a rented space at a community centre. She said she had 20 years experience and used to work in Rush so I was confident she’d me good 😔
I asked to rebook but she has refused. I asked for a refund too but she also refused that. She now isn’t responding to my messages

I will take some pics in the morning in natural light x

I think you really need to make a fuss and insist not only a refund but also the cost of replacing your top. If she doesn’t pay up immediately, send a letter advising that you intend to start court proceedings.

The service you endured sounds so far removed from what a good colouring experience should be. I’m sorry if my first response seemed overly harsh, I was just shocked that anyone would sit for so long and pay for such a service. :oops:

i have sent a message yesterday saying that if I do not hear from her by Friday I will start court proceedings. I’ve also said court proceedings will include the jumper cost and court costs so I’m hoping she just refunds me before it gets to that.
That’s okay, no worries. I probably should’ve questioned her but I am totally clueless when it comes to hair and I have sat for 4/5 hours before x

This is absolutely disgraceful! Please let us know what happens. Which area do you live in. Perhaps if we could see some photos of you? Please let us know how you get on.

im in Sussex.
I will post some pictures in the morning in natural light.
so far she is still ignoring me but perhaps I will try leaving a bad review

Did you charge this service on your credit card? If so,dispute it. Then, use the money for a color correction. You will easily win the dispute as the salon will not fix for you. Make sure to go to someone with good reviews next time. I can help. Yelp is a good place to look 😊😊

Did you charge this service on your credit card? If so,dispute it. Then, use the money for a color correction. You will easily win the dispute as the salon will not fix for you. Make sure to go to someone with good reviews next time. I can help. Yelp is a good place to look 😊😊

i used a debit card.
I have contacted my bank though and they said they can raise a dispute in 30 days so fingers crossed 🤞🏻

Hi everyone.
here are some pictures of my hair. the level of patchiness doesn’t quite show properly but you can see it a little.
the hairdresser left it a bit more blue than it is now but I’ve washed it twice since then x

Attachments

• 073B4646-F7B3-401B-8737-FAF6BF2144CF.jpeg
    073B4646-F7B3-401B-8737-FAF6BF2144CF.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 56
  • 5F0B802D-2202-40E8-8C80-76F52F89DFC1.jpeg
    5F0B802D-2202-40E8-8C80-76F52F89DFC1.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 55
  • 4613AEA0-191D-4D4E-A433-D85F2736742A.jpeg
    4613AEA0-191D-4D4E-A433-D85F2736742A.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 53
  • FC4C6C4F-A1E7-40F2-BA12-4503A2A75EA1.jpeg
    FC4C6C4F-A1E7-40F2-BA12-4503A2A75EA1.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 51
i used a debit card.
I have contacted my bank though and they said they can raise a dispute in 30 days so fingers crossed 🤞🏻

Yay!!! Yes, you can dispute debit too. You go, girl. You will win this one cause they are ghosting you. :)

Latest posts

Back