Hair Help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkprincess01

Reaction score
Im looking for some hair advice, i am naturally blonde and always have been but as i got older went what i calll a dirty blonde (hair colour that is) :lol: Anyways a few months ago i decided not to have my usual blonde highlights that i had to brighten my own blonde but to change the colour completely. My hair is now quite dark with a hint of reddy colour and i want to go back to blonde, my hairdresser suggested we gradually put blonde highlights through it but im worried its going to be orange/yellow tones and also with the reddy brown base im not sure i could cope. Is it possible to get back to my natural looking blonde with clean white blonde highlights without the brassey tones? I said what if we stripped the colour to get to my natural base then start the blonde would that work? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks xxx

The down side of going dark is that when you want to go light again, it's WORK! Gradually getting lighter is actually the easiest and most cost effective way to go, as well as being the least damaging.

When you try to "strip" the color, you are essentially bleaching the artificial pigment out of the hair. Color removers do not know the difference between natural and artificial pigments so they lighten everything.

Artificial pigment when being lightened usually gets "stuck" or is very difficult to get past the orange/gold orange tones. The color you described has some red to it, it may actually come up to a lovely salmon color. Highlighting is a little more controlled environment, select small strands are chosen and lightened to a desired level which can then be toned to meet the needs of the client. Each successive highlight will get you closer to your goal and each highlight can be toned to keep you from picking up the warmer brassy tones.

We have better luck with this technique, but if you are dead set, plan to spend the entire day and a load of cash. (you'll need it to buy maintenance products)

Thanks honey for that advice i know nothing when it comes to colouring hair. I will go with the gradual highlighted root then and hopefully achieve my colour in the end, i dont like the idea of stripping it by what you said.
Thanks for the info xxx

Latest posts

Back