Hair loss after Covid?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamlea87

Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced this? I had a really rough time with coronavirus in December, and this week I started noticing hair coming out when I run my hands though my hair. I wasn't sure if it was just because my hair was getting so long, but if I pull my hair back I can see my hairline especially is getting really sparse. I've read online that this can happen three months after covid or similar illnesses.

Just wondering if anyone else had experienced the same, or anything I can do to help this?

Thanks!

Has anyone else experienced this? I had a really rough time with coronavirus in December, and this week I started noticing hair coming out when I run my hands though my hair. I wasn't sure if it was just because my hair was getting so long, but if I pull my hair back I can see my hairline especially is getting really sparse. I've read online that this can happen three months after covid or similar illnesses.

Just wondering if anyone else had experienced the same, or anything I can do to help this?

Thanks!
This seems to be a common side effect amongst some of my clients. I have a few, one lady 8 months on is still suffering hair loss.
Others clients hair loss seem to have been very temporary.
I think the best things to try and concentrate on is probably just make sure you're getting all the vitamins and nutrients you need and above all making sure your scalp is in tip top condition.
Are you familiar with Nioxin?

This seems to be a common side effect amongst some of my clients. I have a few, one lady 8 months on is still suffering hair loss.
Others clients hair loss seem to have been very temporary.
I think the best things to try and concentrate on is probably just make sure you're getting all the vitamins and nutrients you need and above all making sure your scalp is in tip top condition.
Are you familiar with Nioxin?

Oh really, I hadn't heard of it until recently. Good idea with Nioxin, I did use it a few years back. I might give that go again, it was already getting a bit thinner before this, so it probably needs all the help it can get 😄

Thanks!

First of all, I am so sorry you had a hard time.

Yes, this is something I heard about as well. I don't think there's any evidence for permanent hair loss though. Just excessive shedding from what I have heard so far. I have to second the person above. My hub uses Nioxin and it works wonders.

I've had the same, I've lost a tremendous amount of hair.

Nioxin is great. Use a trial size then buy the back bar for yourself! My dad uses this and he loves me for introducing it to him!

I've been microneedling the scalp, as this helps stimulte and promote new hair follicles. As a leave in treatment I've got a towel on my pillow case and am using Indian oils that I know promote new growth. Castor oil, coconut oil, black seed etc amba, marhabringaraj oil, auymi hair growth oil. These products are great to help promote new growth. They don't smell amazing but they do the job. Create your own mix or alternate, they will feel sticky.

Microneedling once a week, going over three times only. Full head you can try yourself but easier with someone else doing it for you. Use oil at least 2 to 3 times during the week or at your leisure. Everyday is fine but not necessary. First time go easy on the scalp it may feel inflamed using the oil will calm it down and make sure you are not being stingy on the oil, make it glossy. Your hair can thank me hehe!

I did this on my brother first as he was getting a thinning hairline and small bald patch. The new growth is black and getting thicker. Hes a renewed man!

In my case my hair that has shed has come back sparkling white!! With the added stress of closing and reopening! Hths xoxo

Thanks everyone for all your great suggestions, it's very appreciated. :)

Hi sorry you were poorly ,having long hair can make matters worse because of the weight of the hair , maybe when you can have some cut off also we are what we eat so a healthy diet is key plus vitamin D as we don’t make this in our bodies. Hope this improves for you

My ponytail has really decreased in thickness since I was ill in October :( Lost bigger clumps of hair than usual in the shower for a while, the shedding seems to have gone back to normal now so I’m hoping my hair will thicken again in a few months

Another vote for Nioxin! It’s fab I’ve had ongoing problems with alopecia for 15 years and it’s all I’ve ever found to actually work not just ‘make the hair feel thicker’ also I have a client who swears by CEL quite expensive but I definitely saw a difference in her hair after she had been using it for a few weeks

Many many years ago I had scarlet fever as a teenager. I had a high fever for about 5 days. Lots of my hair fell out over the following months, it was almost a mohawk, so much fell out underneath. The hair left was very coarse, straighter hair. The hair grew back, but the first 1cm was white, even the hair that didn't fall out grew back white for 1cm, so I had a skunk stripe. The new hair growing back was curly, proper ringlets! Ringlets with frosted white tips! And the straighter hair with the 1cm stripe sort of sticking out, pushed out by the new curly hair. After about 15cm the ringlets went back to wavy to straight hair.
From about 19 I had hairdressers commenting on how much white hair I had, and by 30 there was a LOT of white. I'm not sure if that was related to the hair loss or not.

I'm trying to say the hair loss may be the current issue, but regrowth after a high fever can be a whole other saga.

Latest posts

Back