Hair Loss and Trichology

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seductive

Reaction score
Hi I was hoping you could give me some advise please.

My mum has alopecia (hope Iv spelt that right) something she has suffered with on and off from a young age.

Is their anything you can reccomend we have heard about Trichology therapy for hair and just wondered if you have had any experience with this or would reccomend it.

Mum has been to the doctors but as its not at a bad stage yet they aren't willing to do anything, althuogh she has been reffered to the hospital many years ago and had treatment their.

I would be so greatful for ny tips or advice you could share with me

Thank you so much

Angela Young
Nail + Skin Geek

I sound like a broken record here but have you tried Nioxin? I am not sure if it will work for your mother but
It produces new hair if you use all three steps for peeps who are losing their hair.

I had Alopecia when I was 21, I lost all the hair on my head over a period of a couple of months, my GP was about as useful chocolate screwdriver, but I eventually got an appointment with a Dermatologist ( I also went to a homoeopath and took heaps of vitamins and minerals)

The dermatologist decided on a very strange course of treatment, she said that the blood was not getting to my scalp, so the hair follicles were not getting any and the hair was dying due to stress.

So she had me buy a primula plant and tape a leaf from it to the inside of my arm for 6 weeks until I got a reaction to it (an itchy rash)

I then had to rub the leaf onto my scalp, to give me a rash and the blood was supposed to rush back to the surface to fight the irritation:rolleyes:

Anyway, one part of it worked, I got the reaction, still have it!!!
I followed the instructions, so had a very itchy arm and scalp, but I have to say that I believe that my hair grew back when it was good and ready ( about a year later)

There are a lot of treatments available today, one is advertised on the radio a lot but I cant think of its name.

I hope she can get some help I would suggest a referral to a dermatologist or getting an appointment with a Trycologst as well as a visit to a homoeopath to see if she needs any help from the inside.

I had Alopecia when I was 21, I lost all the hair on my head over a period of a couple of months,
God............I'd never have guessed as you've got lovely hair now. It must have been a terrible time for you; not knowing if it would grow back.

My understanding is that there isn't a cure for Alopecia and it can be worsened by stress etc. Fingers crossed your mums hair will grow back soon. xxx

Thank you so much for all your information

Angela young

Please see the new thread I have posted about the ALopecia UK forum. Anyone suffering hairloss will find it useful I am sure.

Stress doesn't cause Alopecia, it's either a genetic condition (in the case of Androgenetic Alopecia) or an auto immune condition. Stress may be a trigger, but it isn't a cause. There are very young children who have no cause of stress and they end up with various Alopecia conditions.

THere are no guaranteed cures and there is nothing to guarantee that if your hair comes back it will stay.

I don't want to sound discouraging, but these are bare facts. I don't feel it's right for folks to say 'don't worry it'll be all right'. That isn't necessarily so. It's a very unpredictable condition.

There is a product out which has only been available in Europe until recently. The salon I am based at stocks it and the owner has been giving talks at major London hospitals on how the product can stop hair loss and help thicken thinned hair. Apparently the feedback has been really positive and encouraging. I am not a hair geek but will get the name of the product, etc, and post again in the next day or so (I am up to my eyes at present).

The thing is, if you are going to lose your hair, you lose it! Products such as minidoxil only work as long as you are using them, and not always then.

There are many vulnerable people around, desperate because of their condition, who are being robbed blind by other folks trying to make a buck or two.

I just hope this product is for real. The other thing is, that even if a product seems to work, it could just have been that the hair was growing back anyway, because occasionally that is what it does.

Latest posts

Back