Hair loss from nano ring extensions?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archer27

Reaction score
:confused: Hi, I've only very recently trained in Nano Rings after mainly using keratin, micro rings and fitting weaves, I've fitted about 4 clients with Nano's since December so i'm still pretty new to them. I had a client come back last week for her maintenance appointment at 6 weeks. The hair had remained in good condition and there was hardly any matting and the rings has remained in place so from initial inspection it looked ok. She'd lost 5 in total over the 6 weeks so a little more than I had hoped but nothing to make me think there was an issue with the fitting? However when I had a really good look there seemed to be lots of shedding of the clients natural hair still within the nano ring, which I know is completely normal but on some bonds there seemed to be up to 75% of the natural hair which had come away from the scalp and it was a little shocking to see. I removed any which were literally hanging on by a few strands but it didn't feel right?? I was even considering completely removing all the extensions as a precaution but my client was happy so I just replaced them. I'd really like to know how much natural shedding everyone thinks is normal? Obviously with Nano's being tiny you cant use as much natural hair in the ring because it wont fit so i'm worried that the smaller sections are causing the clients hair to pull out from the root?? After I had done this ladies maintenance I had another client contact me to arrange her maintenance and say that she has lost 6 and she was really worried as lots of her own hair was still attached? I've not seen this lady yet, but i'm imaging the same situation has happened. I've been doing some research and have heard some awful stories about them causing bald patches and ruining peoples hair? If this is the case I don't wish to continue using them? Id be grateful for anyone's opinions please. Thanks xx

If you are only using small sections the weight of the extensions will pull on the natural hair. Are you taking the same amount of natural hair to the extension strand? X

I use 0.8gram extensions although this is probably more than the natural hair used per section because you can only fit a certain amount of natural hair in the ring because they are so small? God knows how people go on using 1 gram strands??This is what im uncomfortable with really, plus the rings have no silicone lining and are clamped onto the metal v tip so in theory wouldn't this act like a pair of scissors? I just really need some clarity that these are safe because I have real concerns. xx

I dont know, I dont do nanos but hopefully someone will be along in a bit.

The way I see it is if a regular 5mm lined ring is really 3.5mm inside and that fits section of hair and tip of extension half:half... so a 2mm unlined ring should fit the same section and a sliver of metal right? Is sectioning not the same then?

That is my question x

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yeah im hoping someone who has lots of experience in them will see this and be able to help :) HELP!

I guess theory is probably right? I feel comfortable with the sections as I use enough hair to glide through without having to really force the hair through the ring and without it being too easy to pull through it too if that makes sense? I can't actually use anymore hair than I do already but it never seems enough hair per bond, this is what is making me really nervous. I spoke to another hair extension technician back in November who only fits weaves and she said she had seen clients (one who was a celeb) coming in for weaves after having nanos fitted who has had major hair loss as a result. I was dubious at first but now I'm wondering if there was some truth in it :/ eeeek. xx

Hi I haven't yet trained in nano rings but I was hoping to add this system for my clients very soon. I am thinking twice now after reading your post.
Sorry I am of no help to you but hopefully somebody that does nano rings will come with some answers.

Hope you can get it sorted x

Thanks yep me too! :) xx

I use nanos all the time, never had a problem at all. I fill the ring with hair so there is just enough room for the metal tip

The rings I use come from abroad and are fab. If it was the rings causing the problem then the hair would still be attached to the scalp and cut off where it meets the ring. ( as you say like cutting with scissors)

Sounds to me like there is not enough hair in the ring and the weight of the strand is too heavy.

Also be very careful with any pliers you use, none of them have ever been specifically made for hair extensions and they have sharp edges. Buy yourself a jewellery file and file off all edges on all your tools as they will cut your clients hair ( try it in a strand and you will see)

Could just be a case of your clients hair thinning due to other reasons and nothing to do with the nanos, sorry I can't scroll to see if this has happened with more than one client

You can get enough hair through the ring to hold a 0.8g with no problems. There is a technique to it though. Try pulling the looper in a downwards motion not towards you

Wifey, are the sections meant to be the same size as micros then?

Wifey, are the sections meant to be the same size as micros then?

Slightly smaller really as the internal size of the ring is smaller than micro rings.

My clients are going right through 3 months with little or no maintenance and all is fine ;-)

:confused: Hi, I've only very recently trained in Nano Rings after mainly using keratin, micro rings and fitting weaves, I've fitted about 4 clients with Nano's since December so i'm still pretty new to them. I had a client come back last week for her maintenance appointment at 6 weeks. The hair had remained in good condition and there was hardly any matting and the rings has remained in place so from initial inspection it looked ok. She'd lost 5 in total over the 6 weeks so a little more than I had hoped but nothing to make me think there was an issue with the fitting? However when I had a really good look there seemed to be lots of shedding of the clients natural hair still within the nano ring, which I know is completely normal but on some bonds there seemed to be up to 75% of the natural hair which had come away from the scalp and it was a little shocking to see. I removed any which were literally hanging on by a few strands but it didn't feel right?? I was even considering completely removing all the extensions as a precaution but my client was happy so I just replaced them. I'd really like to know how much natural shedding everyone thinks is normal? Obviously with Nano's being tiny you cant use as much natural hair in the ring because it wont fit so i'm worried that the smaller sections are causing the clients hair to pull out from the root?? After I had done this ladies maintenance I had another client contact me to arrange her maintenance and say that she has lost 6 and she was really worried as lots of her own hair was still attached? I've not seen this lady yet, but i'm imaging the same situation has happened. I've been doing some research and have heard some awful stories about them causing bald patches and ruining peoples hair? If this is the case I don't wish to continue using them? Id be grateful for anyone's opinions please. Thanks xx

hiya, im sure im a little late for this, but, nano is my main seller, its what the girls what, I have had trouble with one lady :Scared:, about 10weeks in, her hair was also coming out at the root, and when I got to the bottom of it, she was using the wrong brushes, and brushing them all wrong, she was brushing from root to base rather than section by section and actually pulling her own hair out with the beading... naturally I felt awful, but what really can I do, no one likes to hear they're pulling their own hair out.. she refused to have them removed, so all I could really do was fix the bonds.. non-silicone lined beads can act scissor like, but they don't cause someone's hair to pull put by the root.. please let us know how she has gotten on id love to hear myself.. as I say I've only had this trouble with one girl, the rest all fine..

I ordered a nano ring certification kit from Luscious Lox about 5 months ago. I also, noticed natural hair coming out with the hair extensions. I read that a person sheds so many hairs a day. So these were hairs that the person would shed naturally. Okay, well I fitted another hair stylist that I work with. She kept the hair extensions in for 3 days and I took them out. She shed noticeably more hair than she should have for just 3 days. Also, she said that when a couple of hair extensions popped off, about 20 hairs came off too. When I took them off, only a couple of hairs would come off.

Luscious Lox says (even put out an ad) to clamp the hair as hard as you want, because it would not break the hair. That is a lie. The first time I put hair extensions on, on my own head, it cut the hair right off. The ring is metal and can break with sharp edges. You have to be honest with your clients and tell them that it is like having their hair lightly thinned out. Also, it is wise to offer fusion or another method.

Latest posts

Back