Hair loss

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannsh

Reaction score
Hi all, I’ve had this problem for almost two years now and can’t find out the cause. I experience hair loss daily but the only hair that falls is white, or translucent, at the root. I’m a level 7 and have no greys yet. The hair seems to grow about an inch of this colourlessness before falling.

I have seen a trichologist (around a year ago) who advised that lactic acid (stress) is the cause and was given vitamins and topical lotion to negate the effects of lactic acid. Obviously, I’ve not had success with this. Nothing has changed with me in regards to colouring and medication.

Just wondering if anyone has experience of this? It’s so perplexing that the only hairs to fall are colourless!

That does sound unusual.
You’re probably better of trying another Trichologist.
Like going to the GP, sometimes you need a second opinion and you’ll get a different diagnosis.

Normal hair loss is up to 100 hairs a day so presumably the rest of the hair grows normally and you still get your hair cut regularly?
Is it affecting just the scalp hair?

Thanks for your reply :) It really is so strange. I did see my GP, who ran tests. I was a bit low in iron so was given ferritin tablets - no difference.

Yes, it affects my scalp hair only. My hair grows really quickly and I don’t seem to lose any of my level 7 hair.

I don’t have any bald patches but I’m sure my hair is around just over half the thickness it used to be (luckily it was quite thick to start with but it does look quite thin now).

I’ve searched on all kind of forums and can’t find an answer o_O

Have you had your thyroid checked....?

I’m sure that was checked using the sample my doctor took from (blood) but I’m not sure.

I’d double check....it’s worth a try, mine went undetected for a very long time and it was only when I lost handfuls of hair that they took notice.... I did have a whole range of other symptoms - but it was the hair loss I found the hardest to accept!

Oh sorry to hear that - glad you finally found the cause! I do have other symptoms in that I’m chronically tired and find it difficult to lose weight. I’ll definitely ask if my thyroid was checked before. Did you experience hair turning translucent then falling? This is what is really baffling me!

Please keep us updated if you find out!
I've never heard of anything like this and am interested.
Hope you find out soon, must be driving you mad!
Def get a second opinion from another trichologist x

Latest posts

Back