Hair maintenance

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Balayage

Reaction score
Recently, I bleached my hair from natural level (5) to platinum blonde. I have very oily scalp but after bleaching my hair became totally dry. After 2 weeks my scalp returned to normal (it's oily again) but my hair is still dry. I use Kerastase shampoo (the black one for men) and once a week I use a silver mask. What I want to ask if I should use conditioner on my short hair in order to condition my dry hair. I tried to use 2 times conditioner (just a little bit on the ends) and what I got was oily scalp and flat hair (my hair is already flat and thin). Thanks a lot.

Ask your hairdresser for recommendations.
If you did a DIY bleach, you’ve probably dried out your scalp (as your hair shouldn’t be that dry) and it’s now over-compensating so that’s why the scalp has become quite oily.
You need to allow your scalp to re-set itself by not washing it more than once a week for the next few weeks. Allow the oil to build up and only wash it gently. It will settle back to a normal level instead of ultra oily but takes time.

Ask your hairdresser for recommendations.
If you did a DIY bleach, you’ve probably dried out your scalp (as your hair shouldn’t be that dry) and it’s now over-compensating so that’s why the scalp has become quite oily.
You need to allow your scalp to re-set itself by not washing it more than once a week for the next few weeks. Allow the oil to build up and only wash it gently. It will settle back to a normal level instead of ultra oily but takes time.
Thanks a lot for the quick response. I am an apprentice hairdresser and I made the change in my academy with my teacher checking my hair often. My Kerastase shampoo is for daily use and its quite gently for the hair so I wash about 3 times a week. One time a week I use the hair mask and I think I will avoid conditioner after all.

Thanks a lot for the quick response. I am an apprentice hairdresser and I made the change in my academy with my teacher checking my hair often. My Kerastase shampoo is for daily use and its quite gently for the hair so I wash about 3 times a week. One time a week I use the hair mask and I think I will avoid conditioner after all.
Do not avoid conditioner on lightened hair. If you don't get on with a surface conditioner L, try a leave in spray conditioner instead.

Do not avoid conditioner on lightened hair. If you don't get on with a surface conditioner L, try a leave in spray conditioner instead.
I have short hair and get ultra greasy and flat (also hair thinning) when condition. Mask once a week wont do it? Also 3 times a week wash with a Kerastase shampoo (it suppose to "condition" hair) wont be fine?

Your scalp produces oil to protect itself. If you have a lack of moisture/oil your body will produce more, so if that moisture is lost due to washing, and not replacing it. Your bodies natural reaction is to produce more.
You could try using something like kitoko age prevent cleanser and balm, it's formulated with South African green coffee bean. Which helps reset your growing and resting periods in the hair cycle. It's free of silicone, sulphates and parabens. It also has African black pepper in it which soothes the scalp and protects it. It has a natural moisture factor also, so although it's not a moisturising product, it does offer moisture balance.

Latest posts

Back