Hair not curling like it used to

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sstrabley

Reaction score
Hello all.

I have a client who’s hair is no longer curling the way it used to. We have been doing color for quite some time and it has always curled before. The ends needed some “love” so we did a layered cut to get rid of dry and damaged ends. That hasn’t helped. She tries to curl and it just doesn’t last. She used to be able to curl it and it would last a few days. Now when she curls it, the ends are really straight by the next day.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what to do?

Hello all.

I have a client who’s hair is no longer curling the way it used to. We have been doing color for quite some time and it has always curled before. The ends needed some “love” so we did a layered cut to get rid of dry and damaged ends. That hasn’t helped. She tries to curl and it just doesn’t last. She used to be able to curl it and it would last a few days. Now when she curls it, the ends are really straight by the next day.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what to do?
Is there a chance those ends are still damaged?
As we know damaged hair doesn't do well with styling. It becomes unruly and unmanageable.
If so, a good leave in conditioner would be helpful.
The other thing could be that the ends are holding on to water and aren't completely dry when she heat styles?

I guess it’s possible. I cut off a lot of hair to give her layers (and less weight). It’s so strange that it’s, all of a sudden, not curling when it has in the recent past. She doesn’t have any health issues so it’s not any medication. I’m stumped.

As we know damaged hair doesn't do well with styling. It becomes unruly and unmanageable.
The other thing could be that the ends are holding on to water and aren't completely dry when she heat styles?

I know it sounds obvious.. .but is she using something different to curl? A new appliance maybe? If the same, does it have heat settings she's knocked by mistake? Have you tried to curl it....it may give you a better idea of what's going on?.......lastly....clients don't always tell you the truth!.....I don't mean that in a horrible way😊....when u ask about meds, changes to health, etc..... I find sometimes you need to specify exactly what and why you are asking. If they've always had a condition and have changed meds, they think because the condition is the same, they don't mention the med change.. ...or if they've maybe had a op and in meds for a short time, they don't mention, as they don't think it matters, cause it's a temp situation. So what I'm saying is, I find if ur still struggling to figure it out....go back and ask the obvious and explain ANY changes, even if she feels they're not relevant, may be relevant. I've also found hair can have strange changes with hormonal rollercoasters, like pregnancy and menopause.

Those are good questions. I do know she is healthy and doesn’t take any medications. I asked and She hasn’t changed products or styling tools but there could be an external element that I’m just not aware of. I’ll try and delve a bit deeper.

I know it sounds obvious.. .but is she using something different to curl? A new appliance maybe? If the same, does it have heat settings she's knocked by mistake? Have you tried to curl it....it may give you a better idea of what's going on?.......lastly....clients don't always tell you the truth!.....I don't mean that in a horrible way😊....when u ask about meds, changes to health, etc..... I find sometimes you need to specify exactly what and why you are asking. If they've always had a condition and have changed meds, they think because the condition is the same, they don't mention the med change.. ...or if they've maybe had a op and in meds for a short time, they don't mention, as they don't think it matters, cause it's a temp situation. So what I'm saying is, I find if ur still struggling to figure it out....go back and ask the obvious and explain ANY changes, even if she feels they're not relevant, may be relevant. I've also found hair can have strange changes with hormonal rollercoasters, like pregnancy and menopause.

Just a thought.....but is she using too much product? They may be weighing it down or too moisturising maybe. Also, as said above, age could play a part.
I know my hair had changed because of menopause. Maybe her hair needs a rest from heat too. Just throwing ideas out.

Good ideas. Maybe her hair needs a break. I believe she is doing her typical styling routine but I’m not positive. It curls when I do it but it doesn’t stay as long as it used to. It could be age/hormones too.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back