Hair silicones

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Littletigerlily

Reaction score
Hello Geeks,
I've been searching all over for a hair oil that does not contain silicone. I've tried the Moroccan/Argan oils, which had them, I've looked at professional and even checked OTC oils they all had them. A friend recommended L'anza Keratin Healing Oil as her salon worked with L'anza ( mine was wella, ghd and sassoon ) and I had only ever heard good things about them and searched ingredients on google which had no mention of silicone so I ordered it. Imagine my disappointment when the post man brought it this morning and I read the ingredients on the box and the first two were silicones.
My question is am I searching for the impossible? Is there a good hair oil out there that does not contain silicone, or is there a reason these products need to have them that I am not aware of?
Thanks in advance xxx

Anyone have any advice or suggestions? X

Hi.

Is it a sensitivity reason that you dont want silicone?

I think youl probably find it quite hard to find an oil or smoother that doesnt contain any silicones because thats normally what makes the product.
Without it it wouldnt have the same effect.

Hopefully some other geeks may come up with some suggestions
x

Hi,
It's more that I try to avoid product with silicone as I know it can dry the hair out over time and won't do any good in the long run. But yes every one I have looked at, treatment or styling serum (for shine & manageability) has contained silicone in it so perhaps I am looking for the impossible lol I'm just going to go ahead and use the L'anza oil and hope that it won't dry out my hair like the Moroccan oil :) x

My hair doesn't like silicones either and I was looking for a hair oil without them, but I couldn't seem to find one but if you get hold of pure oils then you can use them. I've been using Holland and Barrett pure argan oil, for the last 9 months and I really like it- it's light enough that it doesn't weigh my hair down.

This is a blog post about the different oils you can use and a bit about them.
The Curly Hair Oil Roundup | Curly Nikki | Natural Hair Styles and Natural Hair Care

I have since found this site which lets you search for products with no silicones ect.
Product Search Results

My hair doesn't like silicones either and I was looking for a hair oil without them, but I couldn't seem to find one but if you get hold of pure oils then you can use them. I've been using Holland and Barrett pure argan oil, for the last 9 months and I really like it- it's light enough that it doesn't weigh my hair down.

This is a blog post about the different oils you can use and a bit about them.
The Curly Hair Oil Roundup | Curly Nikki | Natural Hair Styles and Natural Hair Care

I have since found this site which lets you search for products with no silicones ect.
Product Search Results

That's great thank you I'll look into that :) x

To be honest, most smoothing products contain silicones. Its not the silicones you have to avoid per se, its the TYPE of silicones. Cheaper products contain non water soluble silicones, that dont wash out, they just build up and laminate your hair and scalp. Better quality products contain better quality silicones that will break down with every wash.
Morroccan oil is actually a great product, and not harmful or dehydrating. And it wont leave a icky layer of plastic on your hair and scalp that will dehydrate and stop your colour processing effectively.
xxxx

Ahhh Okies that's good to know :)
I've more or less had it drummed into me since day one that silicone=bad haha so I felt that I was perhaps undoing the good I had put into my hair routine by using any products that contained them. I used Moroccan oil for a little while then changed to Argan secret oil, at first my hair felt great but then after a few months it felt drier and tangled very easily. Perhaps I've put it down to the silicones in products and its something else causing it. Thank you for your advice :) xxx

Can i ask do you know any shampoos conditioners etc that dont contain silicone after seeing this post i reasearched it and silcones dont actually benefit the hair they just make it appear better and does not seem all that good and after looking at all my hair styling stuff a lot of diffrent proffesional brands a lot have diffrent types of silcone in the ingridents which im quite suprised at i want to try out a silcone free hair routine to see if i see any diffrence x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Can i ask do you know any shampoos conditioners etc that dont contain silicone after seeing this post i reasearched it and silcones dont actually benefit the hair they just make it appear better and does not seem all that good and after looking at all my hair styling stuff a lot of diffrent proffesional brands a lot have diffrent types of silcone in the ingridents which im quite suprised at i want to try out a silcone free hair routine to see if i see any diffrence x

What difference will it make? Your hair is already dead!

You can't get smooth frizz free hair without silicon, you can't have a mousse
That doesn't contain panthenol which is coating the hair causing it to stiffen and give volume and lift. And serums well there are liquid silicon virtually, again it's like have "natural" hair colour, for me it's aload of crap! We all have our views on things like this x

My favourite one is...."I want something with no chemicals in"...... Erm water is a chemical?

My favourite one is...."I want something with no chemicals in"...... Erm water is a chemical?

Exactly! A colour with no chemicals is like a S&£T with no smell! Doesn't exist!

I don't have any hair qualifications but for me personally going silicone free has really improved my hair.

If you go silicone free you can also go sulphate free (because you won't be getting any silicone build up) which has probably made a fair bit of the difference to my hair as well. If you use water soluble silicones then that might work for your hair as well. I guess what will work for you will depend on your hair.

If you want to got silicone and sulphate free you might as well just google silicone free (it's also known as the curly girl method).

I don't have any hair qualifications but for me personally going silicone free has really improved my hair.

If you go silicone free you can also go sulphate free (because you won't be getting any silicone build up) which has probably made a fair bit of the difference to my hair as well. If you use water soluble silicones then that might work for your hair as well. I guess what will work for you will depend on your hair.

If you want to got silicone and sulphate free you might as well just google silicone free (it's also known as the curly girl method).

Not qualified... 0121!
And I'm sorry but holland ad Barratt. I'm quoting myself now because I'm soo good "you might as well advise to rub dog diarrhoea in the hair"

To the op

There are good silicones out there, researching them is hard and confusing to get the exact names of them. But we all need silicones in most of our daily life. Many are binders to keep foods and products stuck together etc... Then there's the less good at permanently holding ones (that wash away easy) which are put into hair products xoxo

Have you looked into Philip Kingsley??

Woah I've only been logged off a couple if hours what's been going on? Haha
I just wondered guys, as I use sulphate free shampoo & conditioner and my weekly treatment mask ect I was curious to see if there was an oil available without silicone in it.
The ones on every oil bottle are cyclopentasiloxane and dimethicone? I was told to watch out for these and have attempted to research them but from my tiny little iPod screen (not so easy)
I think also I felt a tad guilty telling my clients off for using cheap products that contained silicone and then knowing that every serum, elixir & oil I used contained them.
But thank you all for your advice, it's very much appreciated and its always good to learn from others.
I actually used the L'anza oil last night and it smelt lush so I'll just be making sure that I use it in moderation :) xxx

Hi Lea,
This was what happened with me one day I started googling the ingredients on my hair care products and was surprised by the amount of silicones. Like I said earlier I was told from day one that silicones were just plain bad and wasn't informed there were any that did good in products. Also there is nothing wrong with wanting to try something different :) it's how we learn and discover things and we can then use our knowledge to help our clients. I always say I would never use a product on a client that I had not tried or wouldn't wish to use on myself. A little while ago I came across a gorgeous hair mask that was 100% natural, not tested on animals and made my hair feel great. However due to rules I can't mention the products name here as it was not a professional brand (naughty hairdresser) but seeing as I was only using it on myself and not advising clients to buy it I didn't see the harm and if they still sold it here I would still be buying it! X

The Philip Kingsley book is great! It's got all kinds of info on ingredients :) xx

Not qualified... 0121!
And I'm sorry but holland ad Barratt. I'm quoting myself now because I'm soo good "you might as well advise to rub dog diarrhoea in the hair"

To the op

There are good silicones out there, researching them is hard and confusing to get the exact names of them. But we all need silicones in most of our daily life. Many are binders to keep foods and products stuck together etc... Then there's the less good at permanently holding ones (that wash away easy) which are put into hair products xoxo

There might be good silicones out there but when I was looking in to it for myself it was hard and confusing to figure out which was which so I tried going completely silicone free because it was easiest and it improved my hair so I've stuck with it.

There probably are products that I could use and if anyone has any recommendations for them I'd love to try them out.

Latest posts

Back