Hair smells of egg after salon visit

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lilypip

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm a nail person, not a hair person and I really need the help / advice of a hair person today :-(

I had waist length never-dyed hair, all one length. It was in super condition as I really look after it. Decided to get it cut up to bra strap length with a bit of shape (I know I'll be using the wrong words, don't laugh! ;-)) and no colour by my Mum's hair dresser who is great and really checks with you every step of the way. She did exactly what I wanted with the cut and was going to put some waves in it when styled as I am naturally wavy. She got this sort of crimpy thing out and then one of the other girls said oh Mrs so-and-so is ready for her something or other to be done, I'll take over this if you go and see to her so the other girl did the crimpy bit.

For starters, it wasn't done very well (it had a kind of shelf in it that looked like my fringe just carried on right around my head because of where the curl went) and it dropped within an hour to look like Hermione Granger hair but I'm not so bothered about that, what I'm bothered about is that my hair now absolutely STINKS. I noticed the smell in the salon but thought it was someone else's chemical processing but when I left I realised it was ME! It smells like rotten eggs / VEET hair remover cream / Sulphur and I could just cry. It smells like it's had perming solution on it!

I've double shampooed it with the rather strong smelling Aussie shampoo (chosen specifically for it's strong artificial smell as I figured if that didn't get rid of it nothing would!) and given it a darned good condition but it still stinks. I don't know what to do to get this smell out of my hair as it's making me really self-conscious!

I'd really appreciate any help you could give me as I will feel so silly going back to her today and saying "Hi... could you tell me what your assistant did to my hair because it now smells of eggies!"

Sorry for the rant, it probably sounds really petty but I'm sure one of you will be able to help me!

xxx

Best post ever.

Sorry I'm of no help :-D

I am not a hair professional, but had to read your post when I saw the title...have you tried a little baking soda in some water and rinsing it through your hair? I have no doubt that I will be jumped on for not being a hair pro...but its natural and as you havent had any chemical treatments on your hair I dont see that it would damage your hair in any way, I'm afraid that I have no clue what would cause this but didnt want to read and run!
xxxxx

I am not a hair professional, but had to read your post when I saw the title...have you tried a little baking soda in some water and rinsing it through your hair? I have no doubt that I will be jumped on for not being a hair pro...but its natural and as you havent had any chemical treatments on your hair I dont see that it would damage your hair in any way, I'm afraid that I have no clue what would cause this but didnt want to read and run!
xxxxx

Erm, baking soda is a strong alkali, and will damage hair:rolleyes:

No idea what made your hair smell, just keep washing it with good shampoo, I recommend Pureology.

Hi guys,

I'm a nail person, not a hair person and I really need the help / advice of a hair person today :-(

I had waist length never-dyed hair, all one length. It was in super condition as I really look after it. Decided to get it cut up to bra strap length with a bit of shape (I know I'll be using the wrong words, don't laugh! ;-)) and no colour by my Mum's hair dresser who is great and really checks with you every step of the way. She did exactly what I wanted with the cut and was going to put some waves in it when styled as I am naturally wavy. She got this sort of crimpy thing out and then one of the other girls said oh Mrs so-and-so is ready for her something or other to be done, I'll take over this if you go and see to her so the other girl did the crimpy bit.

For starters, it wasn't done very well (it had a kind of shelf in it that looked like my fringe just carried on right around my head because of where the curl went) and it dropped within an hour to look like Hermione Granger hair but I'm not so bothered about that, what I'm bothered about is that my hair now absolutely STINKS. I noticed the smell in the salon but thought it was someone else's chemical processing but when I left I realised it was ME! It smells like rotten eggs / VEET hair remover cream / Sulphur and I could just cry. It smells like it's had perming solution on it!

I've double shampooed it with the rather strong smelling Aussie shampoo (chosen specifically for it's strong artificial smell as I figured if that didn't get rid of it nothing would!) and given it a darned good condition but it still stinks. I don't know what to do to get this smell out of my hair as it's making me really self-conscious!

I'd really appreciate any help you could give me as I will feel so silly going back to her today and saying "Hi... could you tell me what your assistant did
to my hair because it now smells of eggies!"

Sorry for the rant, it probably sounds really petty but I'm sure one of you will be able to help me!

xxx
Sorry to hear about your hair but the last part made me giggle because it now smells of eggies bit did make me giggle x

thank you all. this was very informative

Thanks guys, I'm just drenching it in argan oil, if nothing else- to disguise the smell! I can still smell the burning egg / dog smell, despite washing my hair every day since!

Can anyone else smell it? Or only you?

I use a tigi leave in conditioner and it gives a really peculiar smell off, I thought my client had been smoking wacky baccy it was a real pungent smell. Took me a few days to work out what it was and it lingers on the skin too. Used it again in Sunday and I am still getting wafts now and again! And obviously I'm washing everyday!! Lol!

Just wonder if the smells got in your system and you are convincing yourself you can smell it?

I had to read this after almost 15 years it was a question I've never heard of. Is it possible she many have singed any of your hair, maybe underneath where it cannot be seen?
That can smell pretty bad.

I think she may have burnt it as it was a cross between warm dog and rotten eggs... They might be a Tigi salon... they used to be but now it's a new salon in an old spot - the stuff she put on my hair actually looked more like my Aloe Vera gel than heat protectant!
Still slathering on the Argan Secret... I can smell it when it is damp only... Still!!!!!
Thanks all for your responses :) xxx

Latest posts

Back