Hair sticky after clients wash at home - toners

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kw88

Reaction score
Hi there I’m new to this forum,

I have an issue which I’m praying someone can help me get to the bottom of!

I use matrix in my salon.

love the range and have no issues, except sometimes when using colour sync.

In the past I’ve had clients complain after their first wash at home (after minimum 48 hours as I recommend) that their hair feels sticky/waxy, cannot get their hands through it when it’s dry.
Not all of our clients say this but there are a good few that do.
It will feel like this even after washing again for a good 2 weeks.
At first I thought not a lot of it but I have done a toner myself at home the other day on my hair and the exact same thing has happened, I can now see their frustration!
All my clients use the biolage range at home when washing their hair and so do I.

they say after a week or 2 their hair feels perfect but obviously the first 2 weeks are always this problem.
I advise to use the cleanse shampoo when it feels like this, but this never helps.

I rinse all my colours very thoroughly on the day of colouring their hair and it feels beautiful so I can’t understand why this happens when they wash it at home.

can anyone advise any further on this or have had the same problem with this range?

many thanks! X

Hello & Welcome

I have used the Matrix range for years previously including their shampoos and conditioners - never known this issue. I would contact your support at Matrix as it may be they have reformulated the colours and its being caused by one of the ingredients? Sorry I cant help.

Thank you for the reply!
I have spoken to the technical team in the past and they have not heard of this issue.
A friend of mine in another salon has experienced the same.

can I ask please. Do you do 2 shampoos after a colour sync application? As they are shampoo based, I’m thinking maybe I’m shampooing too much as silly as it sounds?

I generally do 2 shampoos following colour work, can't see that would be the root cause.

I agree.
I really am not sure what to do :(

Do you usually use an anti oxy conditioner after the colour?

I use the matrix biolage range which they recommend
Either the colour last shampoo and conditioner
Or the fiberstrong shampoo and conditioner xx

This is an issue to do with the conditioning agents in the color, I have had this problem with the sister brand diarichesse. You need to rinse, rinse and rinse some more BEFORE you shampoo. In some cases an extra shampoo is needed too.

Also the anti-oxy shampoo is a good shout too, demis like this use MEA which really should be washed out with an anti oxydant shampoo to stop creeping oxidation in the coming days.

Also the anti-oxy shampoo is a good shout too, demis like this use MEA which really should be washed out with an anti oxydant shampoo to stop creeping oxidation in the coming days.

Thank you so much for your replies!
Is there a particular anti oxydant shampoo you recommend or that you’ve used?
It’s only on particular clients this happens to. Mainly with fine texture hair!

Thank you so much for your replies!
Is there a particular anti oxydant shampoo you recommend or that you’ve used?
It’s only on particular clients this happens to. Mainly with fine texture hair!

I tend to use the loreal INOA post shampoo, but you can get other anti-oxy shampoos for after bleaching etc.. they neutralise any traces of alkaline ingredients from the colour. Matrix make color insider, they might have an after-shampoo for this that you could use? I think wella have a good post-colour treatment too check it out!

Thank you so much! I’m definitely going to give this a go.
After certain clients I get so anoxious for a good week or so waiting for that dreaded message from them saying their hair feels tacky.
I pray this works!
Thank you again xx

Defiantly not worth getting anxious over. You mentioned that you have this sometimes with clients with particularly fine hair getting weighed down. If I was you I would keep a few sachets of a product called "malibu c" on hand - either the "crystal gel" or the "scalp therapy". If you ever have anyone with tacky feeling or dry or oily scalp you can apply it for 5 minutes after shampooing and their hair and scalp will feel sooo fresh and clean and it doesn't have any damaging chemicals. Best product ever, trust me!

Defiantly not worth getting anxious over. You mentioned that you have this sometimes with clients with particularly fine hair getting weighed down. If I was you I would keep a few sachets of a product called "malibu c" on hand - either the "crystal gel" or the "scalp therapy". If you ever have anyone with tacky feeling or dry or oily scalp you can apply it for 5 minutes after shampooing and their hair and scalp will feel sooo fresh and clean and it doesn't have any damaging chemicals. Best product ever, trust me!
Malibu C powders are literally mini miracle sachets!

Seriously, there is nothing else that compares!
The only thing I found that comes close is the colour WoW dream filter shampoo.

Oh really I will definitely get some of this too!!
Does this do anything to the colour? Strip it at all etc?
So I could shampoo toner out with for example to anti oxy shampoo then apply the crystal gel after?

Oh really I will definitely get some of this too!!
Does this do anything to the colour? Strip it at all etc?
So I could shampoo toner out with for example to anti oxy shampoo then apply the crystal gel after?

After toner on blonde hair I would just use the antioxy shampoo not malibu c. Malibu c might clean out the toner, which is good if you need to remove toner without any damage but not if you want to keep the toner! But for normal colour you should be fine.

After toner on blonde hair I would just use the antioxy shampoo not malibu c. Malibu c might clean out the toner, which is good if you need to remove toner without any damage but not if you want to keep the toner! But for normal colour you should be fine.

Going to order some right now!!
Not many Uk places sell it so need to have a good search

I really appreciate all of your help!!
Thank you xx

Latest posts

Back