Hair thinned out too much

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cami18

Reaction score
Hi, I went to my usual hair dresser to have some layers put in. I go to the same stylist yearly, have a trim with layers put in each time then I'm usually good for another year (I am quite good at trimming the ends myself throughout the year and just go back to him for a reshape). I have long hair down my back, in good condition, normal density but a lot of it, so can look thick from a distance (but not coarse or difficult at all).

Anyway, I booked an appointment with him for a cut and blow-dry as usual, showed him a picture of what I wanted, which was basically to keep my hair long, shaping at the front and pretty layers towards the back. I wanted keep the illusion of thickness at the bottom (round hemline rather than V), basically what I normally have. This isn't what I got.... He took all the weight from the sides, giving me very heavy, severe face framing layers at the front. Which would have been ok if that was the only heavy handed thing he had done, but the hair left in the lengths had been thinned out with shears, giving a wispy look. The difference I felt in weight and density was pretty drastic in the end. I wasn't confident enough to say anything at the time as he had blown my hair out in such a way it wasn't obvious by the way in looked in the salon. Once I got home to have a proper look at it and the blow-dry fell flat I could see the real state of my hair.

What can I do to get it back to how it was? I just don't understand why it was cut like that. I'm unsure about allowing him to correct it as I don't really want anymore off, it'll look like a complete restyle when all I wanted was a trim with a bit of shape put in.

Last edited:
Hi, I went to my usual hair dresser to have some layers put in. I go to the same stylist yearly, have a trim with layers put in each time then I'm usually good for another year (I am quite good at trimming the ends myself throughout the year and just go back to him for a reshape). I have long hair down my back, in good condition, normal density but a lot of it, so can look thick from a distance (but not coarse or difficult at all). I had virgin hair, but about 8 months ago I wanted a balayage, so I did a LOT of research on the best person to go to for the look I wanted. I found somebody who did an absolutely amazing job and I couldn't have been more happy (as great as my stylist is I didn't go to him for the colour as I have never seen any examples of his work with colour).

Anyway, fast forward to last week, I booked an appointment with him for a cut and blow-dry as usual, showed him a picture of what I wanted, which was basically to keep my hair long, shaping at the front and pretty layers towards the back. I wanted keep the illusion of thickness at the bottom (round hemline rather than V), basically what I normally have. This isn't what I got.... He took all the weight from the sides, giving me very heavy, severe face framing layers at the front. Which would have been ok if that was the only heavy handed thing he had done, but the hair left in the lengths had been thinned out with shears, giving a wispy look. The difference I felt in weight and density was pretty drastic in the end. I wasn't confident enough to say anything at the time as he had blown my hair out in such a way it wasn't obvious by the way in looked in the salon. Once I got home to have a proper look at it and the blow-dry fell flat I could see the real state of my hair.

I really don't understand why he would thin it out in such a way as I didnt have difficult to handle hair that needed that and I expressly said that I wanted to keep the thickness. I keep wondering if he did this purposely/maliciously because he saw my hair was coloured by somebody else? He didn't mention my colour at all throughout the appointment and was perfectly friendly.

I'm not sure what to do. Looking at my hair it seems the only way to get it to look half de
The only thing you can do is have it cut again to get the whispy ends off, and then persevere while it grows back down. In a couple of months have it trimmed again so that you're slowly cutting off the thinner ends a d bridging the gap to the bits where it's been thinned.

Latest posts

Back