Hair toner - how long does it last?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnymad

Reaction score
Hello! I am a nail geek looking for some advice 'cos I'm a little unhappy with the way my hair has turned out today and I'm not sure how much of a fuss I should make of it!

Without going into the whole story, I had highlights and lowlights earlier today and my hairdresser said that she would use a toner to, "tone down the brassiness'. Now, I didn't see any brassiness, but when it was all dried off it was sooooooo much darker than I wanted to be.

My hairdresser said that the toner would wash out, but (finally) what I would love to know is, on average, how long this might take - is it a length of time - like a week etc, or a number of washes?

She knew that I wanted to stay really blonde, and I did say that although it was a lovely colour, it was dark! If it's likely to wash out in a couple of days I don't want to make a fuss, but right now I hate it!

Thank you for any advice

If your hair has been bleached to lighten it then the toner may last up to 6 weeks.

Hello! I am a nail geek looking for some advice 'cos I'm a little unhappy with the way my hair has turned out today and I'm not sure how much of a fuss I should make of it!

Without going into the whole story, I had highlights and lowlights earlier today and my hairdresser said that she would use a toner to, "tone down the brassiness'. Now, I didn't see any brassiness, but when it was all dried off it was sooooooo much darker than I wanted to be.

My hairdresser said that the toner would wash out, but (finally) what I would love to know is, on average, how long this might take - is it a length of time - like a week etc, or a number of washes?

She knew that I wanted to stay really blonde, and I did say that although it was a lovely colour, it was dark! If it's likely to wash out in a couple of days I don't want to make a fuss, but right now I hate it!

Thank you for any advice

I would advise you to go back to your stylist or ring her up and just explain that you feel a bit too dark, and could she lighten [just a few] high lites here and there ? [ just till the toner washes out ],
she may say no and have her reasons, but the good news is that it will
wash out, anyway just your normal walking around in this spring sunlight will soon have it a shade lighter , [ but it ain't too good for the hair or skin] so plenty of sun factor for the skin and lots of conditioner for the hair
:)minky

I agree with Minky~
go back to your stylist and explain that it is too dark and either have her re lighten a few of the previous lightened pieces or use a color remover on the prelightened-toned hair. This should be a very quick service to correct the problem.

Depending on:
what she used for a toner
the tone she used
how long she processed it
and how porous your hair is
will determine how long long it will stay in.

Most toners that I have used and how I use them will last at least two shampoos, then you will start to see if fade out.

Thanks guys!

These are all really helpful - I knew I would get the info I needed here!

I'm just too impatient I think - she's not back to work until Tuesday and I want it lighter NOW!!!!!!

Well, off to wash it now - thanks again.

Latest posts

Back