Hair toners

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kitkat2020

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Got a new client with bright white hair, she wants it toning but is unspecific about colour/tone she wants to go. Doesn't want to be blonde or grey just wants the white not as bright!

I'm great at permanent and semi/demi but would like some advice about toning the hair and recommendations of what you think I could use?

Two or more heads are better than one!

Thanks

Hi everyone,

Got a new client with bright white hair, she wants it toning but is unspecific about colour/tone she wants to go. Doesn't want to be blonde or grey just wants the white not as bright!

I'm great at permanent and semi/demi but would like some advice about toning the hair and recommendations of what you think I could use?

Two or more heads are better than one!

Thanks
Is it prelightened or is it naturally white?

Is it prelightened or is it naturally white?
She's naturally bright white and wants to take the sharpness off the white, she won't commit to a shade or tone that she wants though!

She's naturally bright white and wants to take the sharpness off the white, she won't commit to a shade or tone that she wants though!
That's a difficult one. You've got a few options but it all depends on the results you want to achieve.
You could use coloured mousse for a temporary solution and this way she can change the shade as often as she wants to. You could use a demi permanent in a level 9 with either a warm or cool reflect. Depending on what you want. If you use Wells Illumina you can also either do a gloss or even a grey blending service.

That's a difficult one. You've got a few options but it all depends on the results you want to achieve.
You could use coloured mousse for a temporary solution and this way she can change the shade as often as she wants to. You could use a demi permanent in a level 9 with either a warm or cool reflect. Depending on what you want. If you use Wells Illumina you can also either do a gloss or even a grey blending service.
She's mentioned that she has had Wella, she explained that it was mixed in a bowl which to me means a semi not a toner! She's mentioned the word Violet and shade 10, I bought a 10/81 and mixed it with 1.5% and it wasn't the desired effect wanted, I'm at a complete loss with her as she is very vague!

She's mentioned that she has had Wella, she explained that it was mixed in a bowl which to me means a semi not a toner! She's mentioned the word Violet and shade 10, I bought a 10/81 and mixed it with 1.5% and it wasn't the desired effect wanted, I'm at a complete loss with her as she is very vague!
10/81 is blue ash not violet.
Try the Illumina 10/69 with a small amount of 8/1 mix it with 1 part 1.9% and 1 part anti oxi conditioner. Leave for up to 20 mins.

Brilliant, thanks, I'll get it ordered this afternoon and try it

I always ask for 2-3 pictures with the colour desired and 1-2 with something similar which they don’t like to bring with them at the consultation or to send it before the appointment if consultation is online. I am very firm about this as I don’t like to spend too much time while they decide what they want and pictures help the most. When this fails and they don’t bring I use different coloured masks on few pieces of her hair to help her visualise and choose but make sure you charge for it.

I always ask for 2-3 pictures with the colour desired and 1-2 with something similar which they don’t like to bring with them at the consultation or to send it before the appointment if consultation is online. I am very firm about this as I don’t like to spend too much time while they decide what they want and pictures help the most. When this fails and they don’t bring I use different coloured masks on few pieces of her hair to help her visualise and choose but make sure you charge for it.
That is ideal, she has showed me a couple of photos how she had her hair years ago but said it wasn't what she necessarily wanted now. She is just very indecisive, I've bought the wella as mentioned in above comments if that fails and she still isn't happy then I'm not doing it again, as like you say I'm not buying things i don't usually use just to try and figure out what she actually wants. She seems to know what she doesn't want but not what she wants, I've shown her colour charts, looked at photos and she still hasn't said what she wants, so frustrating!

I think your client wanted a Scandinavian-inspired milky hair color, which is fashionable in countries like Sweden andNorway. I can recommend Dia Light Milkshakes, L'Oréal Professionnel, a palette called "Milkshakes" for such an effect - it's perfect for creating a gorgeous milky shade. This dye tints already bleached hair and allows for a wide variety of milkshakes, from caramel to a very cool clear. I always recommend olaplex no 9 to my clients to protect their hair so that the color lasts longer.

Latest posts

Back