Haircuts - how often is REALLY necessary?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CadenceAlex

Reaction score
For the first time in about a year, I am going to be pampered at the hairdressers tomorrow!

My hair is in surprisingly good condition and is quite long, and straight. No layers, nothing. No fringe.

I want a fringe cutting in, just because I have baby hair growing out from the front which is too short to be straightened and too long to tame! I look a fright when my hair has just been washed as its really fine and I suppose flyaway - I figure a longer fringe being cut in, that I can tuck behind my ears would improve this problem!

I know the hairdresser will tell me I need to come back in like, 2 weeks or something... lol.. but how long is really necessary? I have no colour on my hair (dyed it to death growing up and the novelty has really worn off) and it grows nicely. I have never been told by anyone I have problem split ends, even going up to a year at a time between cuts (only past 3 years! I haven't always been a scruff!!)

How often do u get your hair done and why?

I know it makes people feel great! I can never keep it how they do in the salon and seem to have developed a problem now - I can only blow one side perfect, and not the other... whereas I used to be great at doing my hair! :eek:

I have been told approx 6 weeks is best & thats not just from one salon thats near enough every hairdresser i have met, but personally i do think it depends on your hair.

I have to have mine cut every 6 (more like 8 though) wks because i have had lots of colour so i get split ends but this means my hair never seems to grow past a certain level unless i miss my appointment :)

I have long hair and I only get my hair cut when I feel it needs it,i.e if I have any split ends.If it's long then you wont need to get it cut as often as say someone who has layers or a definate shape.Usually then it would be every 6 to 8 weeks as Bombingirl has said.I dont know why anyone would get their hair cut every 2 weeks.It would never get any length on it.I would have a consultation with your hairdresser and see what she/he suggests.Having a fringe is BIG maintenance though.I had one for years and ended up having to cut it regularly in between appointments as it grew so fast.Everyones hair is different though.I'm growing my fringe out now and it's just past my nose.It's the best thing I ever did and I wish I had grown it out years ago.

thanks girls!

the fringe i'm getting put in is going to be one that I can tuck behind my ears and sweep to one side, so that I can still get a band in to tie my hair back, but hide the unruly 'baby' hairs!!

The rest of my hair will all be one length... I'd love a slightly graduated bob.. but nooooooooooo way am I gonna keep up the maintenance on that!!

Hi Ca,hair is cut for two reasons,firstly to maintain nthe style,and secondly to remove split ends so the hair appears to have more vitality and shine.

If you hair is in good condition you can leave longer between appointments and just go back for a fringe trim every few weeks.

I would recomend eight weeks between appointments for you ( i haven't seen your hair though,so i am just going on what you have said ) hth x

i used to go twice a year max - but it looked a mess!! now i go when my ends start gettin dry - usually evey 8-12 weeks ish. my hair i in much better condition for it. xx

Wow i was surprised to see the majority say 8 weeks between cuts!

I have to have mine cut every 4 weeks (any longer and i become a mop-a-top) lol

I have short coloured hair that automaticaly sticks out at the back so have stuck with the same style for around 4 yrs now ( you know the spikey look) i have tried other styles but my hair is so thick and strong it wont have any of it:irked:

As i said, every 4 weeks for a cut and every 10-12 weeks for my colours redoing, costs a fortune, £90 a quarter roughly :eek:

Wow i was surprised to see the majority say 8 weeks between cuts!

I have to have mine cut every 4 weeks (any longer and i become a mop-a-top) lol

I have short coloured hair that automaticaly sticks out at the back so have stuck with the same style for around 4 yrs now ( you know the spikey look) i have tried other styles but my hair is so thick and strong it wont have any of it:irked:

As i said, every 4 weeks for a cut and every 10-12 weeks for my colours redoing, costs a fortune, £90 a quarter roughly :eek:

I used to have my hair like yours & I never thought I would be able to grow it. Then I found my T3's (Sraightners!) they are sooo good at making your thick hair appear flatter & thinner. I still have the spikeyish flicky look but on much longer hair & it's good.

As for time between cuts. If your hair is long & fine, having a good blunt cut will make your hair look fuller & thicker. The longer you leave your hair between cuts the thinner the hair gets on the ends. With colour on your hair you really must have regular trims 6-8 wks. When your hair gets to the point where you can't run a comb through it smoothly, you know it's time for a cut.

Latest posts

Back