Hairdresser burnt my scalp!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrimsonSkies

Reaction score
I had a hair appointment just over 2 months ago for bleaching and toning. It was with a new salon and I didn't really know much about them aside from the good reviews they have online. The hairdresser was very strange and refused to use Olaplex when I asked for it so my hair is also incredibly damaged. They didn't put any treatments on my hair. I did not receive a strand test which is one of my main concerns, they just went straight ahead and whacked the bleach on. They did not put any oils or protection from the chemicals on my scalp. I felt mild burning during the process but didn't think anything of it as I usually feel something when I use bleach. I have done it a few times myself in my life and I've never damaged my scalp. When I got home my scalp was blistered and bleeding all over with 2nd degree (possibly 3rd) chemical burns. I immediately took as many photographs as possible. I know I should have gone to my local ED but I have a small child and it just wasn't practical.

I messaged the salon with the photos and asked for a full refund which they granted straight away. I also said to them that if it has caused irreparable damage then I will have no choice but to take legal action. The hairdresser himself has since been stalking my social media (watching my instagram stories) to see if I was lying or to keep an eye on me for their legal team. The blisters healed and there is minor scarring but my scalp is so irritated constantly. My hair feels like it's fried at the roots and sticking to my scalp. It's really hard for me not to scratch it and it keeps getting quite sore. I'm going to get a doctors appointment at the start of next week. The whole experience was just really bizarre. I've never known a hairdresser to refuse the sale of a product, especially a conditioning treatment. It was only £10 for the Olaplex treatment when it can be up to £30 for a bottle online and I've missed out. I know my hair itself would at least be in better condition if he'd used it.

Sorry to hear you’ve had a bad experience with the new salon. You should definitely get it checked by your GP or even your pharmacist and take their advice. It’s extremely rare for a bad bleaching experience to cause lasting damage so I’m sure your scalp will fully heal in time.
As a hairdresser, if a client were to experience discomfort on the scalp during bleaching, I’d immediately remove the product as it’s not meant to cause any pain. If you have always felt some discomfort you’d be better booking a full head of foils in future so that the product doesn’t touch your scalp.

I use bleach specifically intended for on scalp use with a low volume developer to minimise this risk but I don’t add any oils or conditioners as this isn’t necessary and could react with the bleach products.

In future, I’d recommend when looking for a new hairdressser to book in for a cut or just a blow dry on a busy day initially so that you can get a feel for the salon and the staff before booking any chemical services. It’s the same advice I give my family and friends back in the U.K.

Latest posts

Back