Hairdresser careers advice after bad college experience, advice needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopelessDiva

Reaction score
Hi all,
I went on a fast track NVQ 2 Hairdressing course last year and finished in August 2016.
But my journey so far hasn't been easy or enjoyable so far I started out at a really nice salon with a talented owner she was offering a saks apprenticeship but after 3 or 4 months of avoiding me signing the contract she told me I didn't like hairdressing and sacked me.
So I dusted myself off and attended a open day at Waltham college the course advisor signed me up to the fast track NVQ level 2 hairdressing course which I paid for out of my own pocket mind you.
Even though I passed, I don't feel like I've got anything from it.
I know I need more practice and my friends and family are not an option and my skills are not at a level to go on to NVQ 3 (which I hope to do once I'm making money) or get a job. I worked in a friend's nail shop until January and was meant to be working under her business partner but she ended up being sacked so I was the only stylist in the end.

My confidence has taken a beating and I'd love to work under someone but I'm also 31 and a mother so I'm thinking can I pay for cutting and styling courses to build my confidence and go mobile at this point the thought of working under someone is off putting.
I like clients and what the job brings but I'm not working to the standard I need or want I don't know what to do next to stay in the game. I've paid for my NVQ to show how committed I was to learning the trade I was also willing to take the paycut to work as an apprentice to learn but it's not working.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Practice makes perfect! Sign up for day courses and buy a training head to practice on. There are website that have training videos on to help, try myhairdresser.com also maybe volunteer in a salon one day a week just to watch them and ask any advice? I felt the same after my level 2 and was disheartened. I went on to do my level 3 and will be level 4 qualified and working self employed in a salon in a few weeks time don't give up if it's what you really want to do x good luck ☺

Hi I agree get yourself a training head to practice on , some YouTube videos are good too. I'm an assessor/IQA & teach hairdressing/barbering at a college I also run my own day courses that are certificated & insurable . I didn't go into the industry until I was 34 I found it hard too but keep going what ever you decide I'm sure your doing great everyone needs a confidence boost now & again

Latest posts

Back