Hairdresser cut 9 instead of 3 inches

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bella1100

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just had quite a bad experience with a hairdresser who insisted on giving me her version of a haircut and then cut off 9 instead of 3 inches from my hair. She kept talking about feathering my hair and I was sure this was that 'Rachel' haircut and this was not the haircut I wanted. I should have left straightaway but instead I left the salon crying at the end. My hair was just below my rib-cage when I walked into the salon and I pointed to the middle of my rib-cage for the length I wanted cutoff. I left with my hair cut to just above my shoulders.

I've raised a compliant but they have come back with how I agreed to a forward graduation cut. I want to know if a forward graduation cut is the same as feathering?

They have also said I agreed to have this length cutoff. It took me three years to grow out my hair from a pixie haircut and I cried so hard after I left that salon.

To make it clear I walked in with a screen shot of 'Violet' from this link: Violet

Hope someone can help.

Forward graduation? The hair in that pic doesn’t look graduated at the front to me. I assume that when they were doing the consultation and trying to work out what you wanted, that when they used the terms feathering or graduation, perhaps you agreed with them?

Whatever was discussed during the consultation, it’s clear from the results that you were expecting it to look quite different and there’s a massive difference between mid rib cage length and shoulder length.

Does the finished result look like the picture but shorter or is it nothing like the picture?

Forward graduation? The hair in that pic doesn’t look graduated at the front to me. I assume that when they were doing the consultation and trying to work out what you wanted, that when they used the terms feathering or graduation, perhaps you agreed with them?
Whatever was discussed during the consultation, it’s clear from the results that you were expecting it to look quite different and there’s a massive difference between mid rib cage length and shoulder length.

Does the finished result look like the picture but shorter or is it nothing like the picture?
Thanks for replying so quickly. I wanted that particular cut as shown in the pic. When the stylist said feathering and pointed at the pic I said yes. I did make it clear that I had always thought feathering was something different. The stylist insisted the pic I showed her was a feathered cut. The reply I received to my complaint stated the feathered cut is the same as a forward graduation. I am not a hairdresser but I do not think the pic has a feathered cut or a forward graduation cut. I just need someone who understands the terminology to make it clear to me.

The finished result was nothing like the photograph. The stylist had blow-dried it straight with a large round brush so it was a shoulder length bob.

Is a forward graduation the same as a feathered cut?

Thanks again.

Thanks for replying so quickly. I wanted that particular cut as shown in the pic. When the stylist said feathering and pointed at the pic I said yes. I did make it clear that I had always thought feathering was something different. The stylist insisted the pic I showed her was a feathered cut. The reply I received to my complaint stated the feathered cut is the same as a forward graduation. I am not a hairdresser but I do not think the pic has a feathered cut or a forward graduation cut. I just need someone who understands the terminology to make it clear to me.

The finished result was nothing like the photograph. The stylist had blow-dried it straight with a large round brush so it was a shoulder length bob.

Is a forward graduation the same as a feathered cut?

Thanks again.

I'm too scared to go to the hairdressers for a hair cut due to a similar experience happening to me. Although you mention how you only wanted your hair cut mid rib-cage length, But the violet picture you showed the stylist and requested is a shoulder length cut which may have confused her. But there is so excuse to why the style is not what you asked for, They should take some responsibility.

Google forward graduation haircut and you will see hair that is cut (usually starts from below the cheek or chin) and looks like graduated layers framing (feathering) the face.

The pic ‘Violet’ looks like it has some layering and an extreme disconnection. It’s obviously part of T&G’s avant garde collection and therefore a more advanced haircut so not a simple style to copy. If you want a more unusual hairstyle, you need to find a hairdresser who has a talent for cutting. It’s a bit like going to a pub restaurant and hoping to get a Masterchef inspired menu.
Unless the hairdresser has been recommended to you, it’s a bit pot luck. :)

I'm too scared to go to the hairdressers for a hair cut due to a similar experience happening to me. Although you mention how you only wanted your hair cut mid rib-cage length, But the violet picture you showed the stylist and requested is a shoulder length cut which may have confused her. But there is so excuse to why the style is not what you asked for, They should take some responsibility.
I know the feeling and I'm never going to a hairdressers again. Sorry you had a bad experience too. I made it very clear how much I adored the length of my hair and what length I wanted. If they had said we can't do that or they wanted to suggest something else then I fine, but the fact she insisted I would have this style and it being utterly different.

Google forward graduation haircut and you will see hair that is cut (usually starts from below the cheek or chin) and looks like graduated layers framing (feathering) the face.

The pic ‘Violet’ looks like it has some layering and an extreme disconnection. It’s obviously part of T&G’s avant garde collection and therefore a more advanced haircut so not a simple style to copy. If you want a more unusual hairstyle, you need to find a hairdresser who has a talent for cutting. It’s a bit like going to a pub restaurant and hoping to get a Masterchef inspired menu.
Unless the hairdresser has been recommended to you, it’s a bit pot luck. :)

You're right. And I did go to T&G for the haircut.

I did Google forward graduation and feathering, but I need to know for sure if I'm going to complain to a senior hairdresser at T&G.

Whatever the experience of the hairdresser, I fail to understand how 3 inches means cutting off 9 inches of hair!

And again, thanks for the quick reply.

Wow, if you actually went to a T&G salon, then you should definitely complain to the salon manager.
I’m actually gobsmacked that they said it was feathered at the front. :eek:

I’ve never worked at a T&G salon but I’d have assumed that when they release a new collection, that they at least ensure their top stylist in each salon receives training in how to recreate the looks or at the very least, send out a some training notes. :(

I have sent the compliant but I think made the mistake by going to their Academy instead of their salon. Money was tight though.

I did call them beforehand and they said as long as I wanted at least 2 inches it would not be a problem. I even said to the teacher if the style is too much then just 3 inches with some layers. This was exactly what the client infront of me left with. I however lost 9 inches of my hair.

I would LOVE to see your before and after shots.... :p

To be honest, I'm not a fan of Violet!

Us stylist's are all different - artistic interpretation varies from one to another.....
Something must have gone wry at the consultation stage - no one plans or want's to upset a client. :oops:

Artistic interpretation maybe but 9 inches!

I have no after pic because I can't style it. My hair does a horrible perfect 1960 flick with no effort- I've tied it up since the cut. I have always despised my hair at this length. Sorry to disappoint.

I have sent the compliant but I think made the mistake by going to their Academy instead of their salon. Money was tight though.

Ah, in that case, I think your expectations were probably unrealistic unless it was an advanced cutting class?
At the same time, I think the supervisor should have been involved in some of the consultation process to check you understood what they were recommending.

A few years ago, I did some training at the Sassoon Academy and my supervisors were excellent. They always double checked what was discussed and agreed at the consultation and ensured each student/client was visited and their work cross checked very regularly. Thankfully, it wasn’t like college where she who shouts loudest gets all the attention!

One of my clients was a retired Sassoon trainer (thankfully, she didn’t tell me this until after the service otherwise I’d have been really nervous) and another one (student) was recruited to be a session model for them. She was classically beautiful with sharp cheekbones and crucially, fabulous hair.

I can happily recommend you to book into one of their advanced cutting courses as a model/client, next time you’re feeling brave. ;)

Ah, in that case, I think your expectations were probably unrealistic unless it was an advanced cutting class?
At the same time, I think the supervisor should have been involved in some of the consultation process to check you understood what they were recommending.

A few years ago, I did some training at the Sassoon Academy and my supervisors were excellent. They always double checked what was discussed and agreed at the consultation and ensured each student/client was visited and their work cross checked very regularly. Thankfully, it wasn’t like college where she who shouts loudest gets all the attention!

One of my clients was a retired Sassoon trainer (thankfully, she didn’t tell me this until after the service otherwise I’d have been really nervous) and another one (student) was recruited to be a session model for them. She was classically beautiful with sharp cheekbones and crucially, fabulous hair.

I can happily recommend you to book into one of their advanced cutting courses as a model/client, next time you’re feeling brave. ;)
Thank you! It's very sweet but the idea of a hairdressers petrifies me.

They put us into a few groups at Reception and I was in the re-style and not trim, so I guess advanced.

This teacher was very loud, quite shouty and look-at-me kind of person

And I have to disagree. I did say at the beginning if they couldn't do it then fine and nothing forgives taking 9 inches instead of 3.

I know the feeling and I'm never going to a hairdressers again. Sorry you had a bad experience too. I made it very clear how much I adored the length of my hair and what length I wanted. If they had said we can't do that or they wanted to suggest something else then I fine, but the fact she insisted I would have this style and it being utterly different.
Sounds to me like she took on a haircut/style she was not qualified enough to produce. Because of this it's very likely she just decided to do her own thing instead and hoped you would like it. Being treated like a guinea pig is unacceptable.

Sounds to me like she took on a haircut/style she was not qualified enough to produce. Because of this it's very likely she just decided to do her own thing instead and hoped you would like it. Being treated like a guinea pig is unacceptable.
@Lollilox - thanks. Just doing everything that I can to grow it back and never going to a hairdressers again.

@Lollilox - thanks. Just doing everything that I can to grow it back and never going to a hairdressers again.
Try cod liver oil tablets, there cheap on amazon and really helped my hair grow thick and long fast. All the best.

Hi @AcidPerm

Thank you for taking the time to give me some advice a few years ago.

I wanted to reach out again and ask for your help.

My hair has now finally grown and reaches just the middle of my back. I need to get a cut but too petrified to just walk into any hairdressers.

Can you still recommend someone at the Vidal Sassoon academy?

Hello again.

Hmm. The two guys supervising the training that I would have personally recommended have both left to work for themselves but if you were booked into an advanced cutting class, you should be fine.

Hello again.

Hmm. The two guys supervising the training that I would have personally recommended have both left to work for themselves but if you were booked into an advanced cutting class, you should be fine.
Thanks for the quick reply. Lovely of you

I think I'll leave it. I'll be too nervous.

Take care.

Thanks for the quick reply. Lovely of you

I think I'll leave it. I'll be too nervous.

Take care.
I'm sorry you've had such a poor experience in the past at academy courses as a model.
I've often gone but with the idea that I'm happy for a big change, so I'm good in an advanced class.

If you feel nervous then opt for a classic style/class.
It's not really fair to ask anyone for a complete restyle And to be scared of too much of a change.

I understand that you've taken a picture in the past, but the picture wasnt actually what you wanted- it was shorter.

I suggest you go to a local salon that's been recommended to you by at least 3 people who have hair similar to you- that have a look you like- and ask for a consultation with a stylist that 'enjoys cutting longer hair'.
Sit down with them and show them what you want. Actually what you want, a collection of several photos if need be.
Ask if that's possible with your hair. Then listen to their answer. Ask more questions if you need to about styling, upkeep, possible areas for concern etc.

Hopefully that stylist will be the right person for you, but if not ask for a second opinion from another stylist or at another salon.
But give people a chance to get to know you and to understand you.
Please dont present a busy person with an inaccurate look and hope they'll perform the work of hair expert, counsellor and fashion stylist in 45 mins.

Good luck mate

Latest posts

Back