Hairdresser flooded my salon, advice needed!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creative Keren

Creative Nail Studio
Reaction score
I will try to keep this brief as its quite a story..

My salon is rented on a causal basis (rolling monthly) and is located within a huge industrial building that houses various other businesses such as a gym, hairdressers, tattoo parlour etc.

In the beginning of Nov i got a call from the owner saying the hairdressers had a leak and there was 1.5inches of water across the top floor (where my salon and the hairdressers is located) the contract states that if anything was to go wrong or require maintenance then we would be responsible for that ourselves. However, the hairdresser and owner have agreed that the hairdresser is liable for the damage and has to foot the bill. My floor was laminate and had been badly damaged. She said she would sort it, its still not done!

My partner came and ripped up half of the flooring in the room that i hardly use as it was really smelly and ive had clients commenting on it and two clients have even cancelled. Ive been apologising to my clients and saying it was being sorted but 3 months later, i just look like a bloody liar.

We agreed that it would be a like for like replacement and she got a quote (she said £600) and i got a quote (£647) then the owner got a quote (£600) the thing is the quotes they got was for vinyl which i said is not what we agreed. Since the flood i have lost £247 of income from clients cancelleing and rental income from the other room as the girl who was due to start already, ive had to delay due to the flooring issue.

The hairdresser has now gone on a 3 week holiday and i told her before she left that it needed to be done by the 6th as thats when i was back in work. She said shed spoken to the owner and it will be sorted.

Shes due back on the 22nd and the owner told me that he was only asked by her to get another quote.

i spoke to her and she got quite rude with me because she said she ONLY wants the guy she got a quote from to do it because she knows and trusts him, although he told me that he only does vinyl not laminate. She said she wont pay £647 for the replacement as she thinks that too much even though the quote she had was £534 and didnt include the guy replacing the skirting board whereas my quote was a like for like replacement, laminate, skirting etc, NOT vinyl.

Anyway. Ive spoken to the owner and he is saying its between us two not him. The things i want advice with are;

1) Do I still have to pay my rent to the owner (as its due now) as im not actually getting the room thats stated in our contract - i currently have use of half of my salon and even that has a bowed floor.
2) what do i do with regards to the hairdresser - Would it be wrong of me to insist that she also covers the loss of income caused? How would i enforce that as i know shes laugh in my face as ive already mentioned it and she completely ignored it.

Please can someone give me some advice, this is really getting me down and losing me money. TIA x

If it was me, as it's dragging for so long. Write a formal letter, give 7 days to get done, if not done pay and do it yourself, take her to court for the bill.

If it was me, as it's dragging for so long. Write a formal letter, give 7 days to get done, if not done pay and do it yourself, take her to court for the bill.

I agree- If it's costing you business (and reputation) I'd be tempted to just get it sorted and send her the bill.....

I'd do as suggested also pay for it myself then take to court but i'd probably replace with a good quality vinyl the only reason being if this is likely to happen again then it won't get ruined like laminate.

I know it's not ideal and not really what you want but I'd be thinking of all the hassle if you got it replaced in the end and it all just happened again you would have to fight again whereas vinyl be OK once dried out.

You need to check your contract with regards to rent I know mine has a clause to say if something happens such as fire flood etc and it isn't my fault and the premises cant be used for its said purpose you don't have to pay. Be prepared to argue this though as something similar happened to me and my landlord still insists I owe rent and has sent me solicitors letters to which I respond and refer them back to this clause. They still haven't acknowledged I don't owe the said rent and it's been two years.....

When you say she is paying, do you mean her insurer is paying? Also what did your insurer say? I'd have to agree with everyone else, if she's not budging then you'll have to go ahead and swallow the cost. You might be able to avoid the court and ask to split the amount, but really it sounds like she's not going to pay. Doubt that is going to do her reputation any good!

seems like your getting pigeon-ed holed into picking whatever she wants for your quotation. I honestly think vinyl isnt as bad compared to laminate. In my salon i have that industrial strength vinyl flooring and i get so many lovely compliments to the flooring as its sparkly. i could spill acetone, bleach, wax all over the floor and it gets it off! every time its cleaned it just sparkles and gleams!

If she wants you to stick with this guy, pick the most expensive vinyl one, and he'll fit it in! make sure he does it asap if thats the terms, get the job done while its quiet. In regards to sending letters back and forth, keep an outlined itinerary of what you have done and ensure that its legally agreed and signed and paid for before you have commenced your work. good luck xoxo

I agree with vinyl being strong, the type we have is called a luxury vinyl tile and is by Lg Hausy, it's like amtico but a cheaper brand and v.hardwearing. Mine looks like an ash wood effect but I have seen the sparkly ones in a local beauty salon and they are lovely! Just wondering if you have insurance as you could have just claimed and got them to sort it out as that's why we pay it or get the other girl to claim off her insurance!

Sorry! Another vote for vinyl. Ours looks like wood but is warm and soft underfoot and much less noisy than laminate. I agree that I think you may need to get this work done and claim it back.

Good luck

Vic x

Have you spoken to your insurer? Realistically they should do the work and then claim off the hairdressers insurance on your behalf that's what their for

I was going to say the same as Surfgirl. Talk to your insurance and get them to deal with her insurance.

Latest posts

Back