Hairdressers help required

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzanne-d

Reaction score
As the title says, hopefully you hair geeks can help me. I am a qualified nail tech but am after help/advice for my hair. I have been dying my hair for a number of years without any problems. Recently I went on holiday and as I normally do had a henna tattoo. After a week or so I started to react to it, usual thing itchiness and blisters. All clear now apart from the scaring 😞. My hair is desperate for colouring (far too much grey) so I did my patch test and all was fine. As it took a good few days for my reaction with the henna I waited a week and then did another one my behind my other ear on Friday. Boy do I know about it now. Feels like its in fire and slightly blistered.

My question is I know I'm probably gunna react like this now but is there any point me trying different brands?? Or am I completely wasting my time and need to sucombe to the fact that I will grow old gracefully!

And advice would be appreciated. Thanks xx

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

You may have to look into natural colouring techniques such as vegetable compounds but you may well be alergic to them too.

just me ;)

Just make sure you have a skin test before any colouring service. Lucia x

Just make sure you have a skin test before any colouring service. Lucia x

Thanks for replying. I am so glad I did a patch test, god knows what would have happened if I hadn't. I've an appointment at hairdressers next week so will see what they say xx

L'Oreal insist that nobody who has had a henna tattoo within the past year is suitable for hair colouring. The fact that you reacted to what was probably a big old dose of ppd mixed into the henna means that you are now sensitised for life. I have another client with this issue. We have to do back to back foils, carefully avoiding her skin. She is allergic to every brand I've tested on her, including organic and mineral colour.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I wish people would be more aware of the dangers of henna. Both on their hair and on their skin.

L'Oreal insist that nobody who has had a henna tattoo within the past year is suitable for hair colouring. The fact that you reacted to what was probably a big old dose of ppd mixed into the henna means that you are now sensitised for life. I have another client with this issue. We have to do back to back foils, carefully avoiding her skin. She is allergic to every brand I've tested on her, including organic and mineral colour.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I wish people would be more aware of the dangers of henna. Both on their hair and on their skin.

I thought as much. So mad with myself but that won't change anything now. At least there is a possibility if having foils tho. Thanks very much for replying xx

I thought as much. So mad with myself but that won't change anything now. At least there is a possibility if having foils tho. Thanks very much for replying xx

Just make sure the stylist knows that the tint must not touch your skin under any circumstances. Some stylists can be funny about getting it to the scalp in foils. IT MUST NOT TOUCH YOUR SKIN.
Also, make sure it's washed off using at least three shampoos. Your hair must be squeaky clean afterwards.
There's still an element of risk involved, not every hairdresser can work as cleanly or precisely as I can, and not every client appreciates the risks involved.
If you or your hairdresser ignores this, you WILL end up in hospital, so take it seriously.

Just make sure the stylist knows that the tint must not touch your skin under any circumstances. Some stylists can be funny about getting it to the scalp in foils. IT MUST NOT TOUCH YOUR SKIN.
Also, make sure it's washed off using at least three shampoos. Your hair must be squeaky clean afterwards.
There's still an element of risk involved, not every hairdresser can work as cleanly or precisely as I can, and not every client appreciates the risks involved.
If you or your hairdresser ignores this, you WILL end up in hospital, so take it seriously.

Tbh I'm going to talk to him about but don't I'll do anything yet. Think I'd be too scared to risk it. Thing is now its not just my hair is it, realised I probably won't be able to have a spray tan n things like that. Also starting to do my level 2 beauty so will have to be really carefull with the tints etc xx

Latest posts

Back