Hairdressers working in nursing homes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twinset n curls

Reaction score
Anyone out there doing this and what's it like. I've seen an ad for a vacancy and thought I may follow it up

I do. I have done it for around 8 years. 2 days per week 9am-3pm while my older kids are at school. It started off as a favour for my mum until they found a new hairdresser, but I ended up staying and have been there longer than most of the care staff. It can be hard at times but I love it and I find it extremely rewarding. I love listening to all their stories. I currently can’t go in just now due to Covid as I’m not an employee, I am self employed.

How does the pricing and appointment system work? Do you set ( 'scuse the pun) your own prices and make your own appointments or do the staff just bring the clients ? I'm assuming you provide all stock etc. Do you pay a rent to care home. ? Sorry for all the questions but I'm about to contact a home today so would love some idea of what an how it works x

I used to do one day a week in a care home and loved it , ( I was and still am a freelance ) but loved the people and being in one place a day for the whole day was great . The hairdresser that was there before me just left an empty room so I jazzed it up with pictures and magazines kettle it was lovely , I had my own booking system and the home didn’t charge me , the clients also paid me direct and yes I provided shampoos conditioners setting lotions etc loved it and very rewarding x

In my case I provide all the products and equipment and then I fill out a spread sheet containing the residents names and services they have received that day and after my 2nd day I hand it into the office. The nursing home then pays me into my bank account within the week depending on how efficient the admin girl is. I have a room with a backwash and a mirror. Like Jan i have jazzed it up a bit too. They have a hood dryer and backwash but I have provided everything else. Appointment wise I work on a first come first served basis. Nursing homes are unpredicatable and I find that in my case an appointment system didn’t work in my favour. It’s a great little number and as i said before I LOVE my job there. I am still unable to return due to Covid (Scotland).

Latest posts

Back